Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet beginner and whats out there

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Jet beginner and whats out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
orangehat44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet beginner and whats out there

Ive been flying glow for a while and after picking up a DX6i in a heli deal I figured I would designate that my electric TX and get a few park flyers and electrics and see what happens. I would consider myself a pretty decent sport flier. One of the electrics I have gotten is the GP Yak-55 flight flex and have started to dabble with 3d alittle. I want to try jets and like i said expand into the direction of some park fliers as the field is 45 min away and the park is 5 so the glow planes though I love them get flown less. The electrics can allow me to run to the park after work and keep my flying sharp.

Is there a huge difference when it comes to flying style and that kind of thing when it comes to edf's? I am starting to learn some of the electrics lingo as I set up the yak, but dont understand the basics of the df components too well.

Getting into jets as an already accomplished pilot can I go almost anywhere or should I still start with a 'beginner' style jet.

Also what brands are suggested? In my past Ive mainly delt with tower or horizon. I like the major brands stuff like GP and eflite. But I dont wanna break the bank. Ive seen some pretty fairly priced stuff on hobby lobby, hobby king, nitro planes. Just sometimes that stuff seems too good to be true. And Ive some what experienced in this hobby you get what you pay for. But I figure I get a jet on HK or some where thats cheaper than say a more name brand higher quality jet, and i get lucky and it works good great but if it doesnt and I rebuild it with some better equipment I get that higher quailty jet for still around the same price (price of upgrading the cheaper jet I assume wont bust the bank)

I know to stay away from banana hobbies. But what other ones should I trust. Seems people trust hobby lobby and they have some neat things.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jet beginner and whats out there

I'm just now dabbling a little in EDF. My main source is Electric Jet Factory. Very happy with their service.
Edwin
Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
orangehat44

Am I better off getting something reciever ready like from Hobby lobby theres a few things there I'm interested in, such as the f-86 for 120$ for a first edf and possibly one of the 360 thrust vectoring ones either f16 or F35. Or more of a Kit/ARF edf where I buy the internals. I really have no clue for component matching or selection (for the motor, i know about servos and recievers) as I said I was glow mostly so still pretty green with esc's and those components. Im probably leaning towards the reciever ready as I have a .60 sig king kobra kit im about to tackle and dont need too many projects running at the same time or nothing will get done. A RXR will let me get out and fly on the nice spring days after work and work on the kit on the lowsy rainy spring days.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Edwin

Dont know how to answer that. I only have a power setup at the moment, (het 70mm fan, het 20-24 motor, 60amp esc, 4 cell lipo at 2800ma 30c). I'll be running a seperate bec for the receiver and servos. I'm planning on getting the EJF SportJet 70 as a test bed. Theres a couple of Habu jets in the club that guys like a lot. They look a little slow to me but they like them a lot. These are what the turbine guys are flying for low pucker power. I'm sure others will chime in soon enough. I dont want to lead you the wrong way since I'm only experimenting right now. I would highly suggest you get a watt meter so you know exactly what the system is doing. Its easy to burn up electrics.
Edwin
Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
weskel

I am also leaning towards and electric jet, I myself have only flew glow prop planes.

I basically no nothing about electrics, just doing alot of reading and studying...

Do any of the bigger electric jets fly well off of a grass strip?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Take a look at Horizon hobbies "park Zone" Habu jet. You can buy it as a bind and fly or plug and play. Bind and fly you use your transmitter. Plug and play you add your RX and battery.
This jet is very popular and fast. A very good first jet. Takes about 15 min to build. Do a search on rcgroups about this jet and RCU
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Edwin

Yep, they guys in the club say it takes longer to charge than to build.
Edwin
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
orangehat44

I dunno the habu is cool and all I just cant justify the price tag. Theres a F-86 from hobby lobby that looks good and has gotten decent reviews for a lower difficulty edf. Or I like the looks of the eflite f-15 or f-16. the f-15 is a twin edf so I bet setting it up will be pricy as i guess i would need 2 speed controllers and motors. I really think im leaning towards that F-86. 120$ all i would need to get it in the air is a reciever.

Comparatively that's a pretty nice price and it got good reviews. even if I have to put some money into it, it will get me some flight time before its price tag reaches that of the habu. Then i'll know if I want to continue the edf thing. I love the look of jets, just prefer the mechanical planes to the electrics.

but then I do like being able to fly in the park with the smaller electrics.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Edwin

Take reviews with a grain of salt. I choose not to believe them. Not even here on RCU. Sometimes the video is not of a stock build.
Edwin
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM
orangehat44

oh I always do. I usually cross check reviews all over the place. I cross check the seller sites reviews with a review from here and if possible a review from RC groups. On RC groups theres a 50 page thread easily over 1000 posts. Including other vendors who have gotten the jet like Don from that donsRC who got the jet to see if he could come up with a upgraded power system. Ive been reading through that whole thread and that jet seems to be quite good. And it sounds like it does about 70-80 stock has to be flown in the upper half of the throttle range but there are mods that Im reading about like a thrust tube(?) that Im reading about to increase performance with out having to buy anything, sounds like a thrust tube is just a plastic tube made out of anythign (including a solo cup), I assume its used to increase pressure before the fan unit, Good old bernuli equation, Pressure plus energy (kenitic and potential) = pressure plus engery after ( written short hand). so you increase pressure before fan can get more velocity out the back.

It sounds very flyable. I doubt hobby lobby could get enough differnt forum goers in their pockets to get a 50 page thread praising them, they mush have done something right. I might try the jet, wont be for a few weeks. got some projects right now and managed to get in a fender bender on monday so that puts the fiances back a couple weeks.

but again for 120 bucks even if some components dont work or frys and needs to be replaced (after a few flights, obviously if something doesnt work out of the box I send it back or get it replaced) Ill replace it with higher quality servos or esc or whatever, and I will still have 150$ budget before I reach the price of the habu.

If I get it and everything works flawlessly which is what i expect from the reviews I can get it and 3 batteries for the price of one habu with no batteries.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

One of the best EDF trainers is the GWS F-15.

Not too expensive, flies and lands like a dream.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The habu cost allot because of the componets. It does not fly like a little foamy. It is well worth every penny. The aircraft it self is cheap the wing is around 30 bucks and the same for the fuselage. All the money is in the power system. I have another foamy the sapac hawk and gawd is it slow and boring to fly. It is the trainer for my kids. The habu can go slow and fast and you don't get board. I have been having more fun flying it then my big BVM plane because it does not matter if I ball it up into the ground.