Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

banana hobby 50mm f-86 sabre/blitzrc

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

banana hobby 50mm f-86 sabre/blitzrc

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
kross1975

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banana hobby 50mm f-86 sabre/blitzrc

Friends,
I bought the new f-86 50mm from Banana Hobby. In fact, I bought two. Neither one flies. When I launch, they both immediately pull hard right, and nose over into the ground. I have flown edf jets before, never with this problem. I even trimmed it all the way left, with the same result.

Anyone ever experience this before? I contact the banana hobby "tech support," and after being on hold for an hour, they told me that I must have programmed my spektrum dx6i incorrectly, which I assure you is not the case.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: banana hobby 50mm f-86 sabre/blitzrc

There is a great thread on rcgroups on these birds in the electric EDF section. My friends's 50mm F-86 is a sweet heart.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
global344

I have the FA-18 50mm and after a brief flight it also dives in to the right. I was going to get the F86 ARF thinking I could handle it as a slow flyer with more wing area. Might be something to do with the radio or ESC? I use a Futuba 6EX radio. How about you?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
kross1975

global,
That's funny. I bought the airframe-only f-18 and recycled the f-86. My f-18 flies perfectly, it's so awesome to fly. I called the number that passes for "customer service" at banana hobby, and they told me the pull to the right must be an error on my part.

I took the other f-86 I bought to a park with a hill and launched it where I already had enough altitude to adjust to the pull down and right, and was able to get one flight out of it. At full throttle it flew ok, but as soon as eased off the throttle it dipped back down and right, until it crashed. The f-18, though, flies great at all speeds. Oh, and I use a Spektrum dx6i
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
global344

Determined to get this flying before buying another BH. Flimsy part of plane has been front end which has been broken and epoxied back a number of times. Added carbon fiber rods which made it survive a number of nose dives before coming loss. Ultimately cut all that off and replaced the nose with what I hope is a shock absorbing foam from some packaging (squeeze it, bend it, it does not break and goes back to shape) from an LCD TV or something. Will recalibrate throttle and do some ground testing and see if anything shows up - "fly" it anchored to the ground and see if anything odd happens with controls. Range check was okay but did not have engine running. Do motors ever cause any radio interference? Weight is 460g but BH specs say it is 435g. Don't have enough experience to know if the 25g is a problem. Its not the modifications I made, they are only a few grams. I thought if I point it skyward it should climb but it just kind of hangs there and stalls. Needs more speed.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
global344

Well I finally solved the nose in to the right problem and got this thing in the air. Trimmed in some left bank before takeoff, about 3/32 inch. Kind of obvious now that I figured it out. Set the low dual rates down to about 50% and expo the same otherwise controls to sensitive. Recalibrated the throttle and that speed it needs. The nose end from the air intakes forward was replaced with shock absorbing foam that survives nose in landings so I can keep flying instead of having to pick up the pieces. Everything from the intakes back has survived even the worst crash except for having to reglue along some seams that split so that is the one thing that made it worth struggling with. I could get a new body that looks better but then I would probably end up destroying the nose so will just keep flying it the way it is now.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 AM
Filadelfos RC

ORIGINAL: kross1975

I took the other f-86 I bought to a park with a hill and launched it where I already had enough altitude to adjust to the pull down and right, and was able to get one flight out of it. At full throttle it flew ok, but as soon as eased off the throttle it dipped back down and right, until it crashed. The f-18, though, flies great at all speeds. Oh, and I use a Spektrum dx6i
Ihave one of these, and Iuse a Spektrum as well. It flies great, have no problems with curve-in. Glide it in nice &slow for landings, no problem. Are you sure your elevator or ailerons are correctly centered? There's quite a bit of room for error using the screw collars they do. If you search Youtube on J-Power F86, you'll see quite a few vids of these flying well. I've not heard of the issue you are having (other than the POORservice from that store you mentioned )

Bill

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
plane-addict

Yes, these are the JPower planes and like mentioned above, there is a great thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158665

I recently bought the F-86 from Hobbyking. They are selling airframes alone too, for those that want to upgrade their plane.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Tcoltpilot

I got the BH 90mm F-4 II Pro and several items of importance with that plane. Landing gear is very flimsy and received with the engine crooked and not glued down properly. You Tube at Mrtcoltpilot56. The CG in the book is way wrong at 165mm-175mm. The correct CG should be at or near 150mm from leading edge at the root. First flight verticle to a controlled flat crash breaking the R wing and tail section, nose gear popped loose. Repaired that day and moved the cg 1" forward on second flight with hard right turn and very sensative elevator but flew. High speed greaser of a landing. Needed more nose weight. Moved the LIPO as far forward as it would go plus .5oz lead in the nose. Third flight flight adjusted aileron with sub trim to left. Much better take off with 4 clicks of right trim and flew straight, 3 clicks of up trim and level hands off. Doesn't like hard bank turns but medium ok. That's when the flameout happened. The ESC fried and had a hard landing bending all the soft wires on the 3 landing gear. The plane itself was fine. Upon investigation, to much heat shrink around the ESC and the cooling fins do not go into the airstream where located inverted into the intake ahead of the fan. Thankfully the BEC was still operative. I was not able to procure another ESC from BH because the 30 day warranty was up. Total flight time 7min maybe. I will purchase an ICE 100 ESC and modify the plane for better cooling. Using a DX-7. Motor ran very well at half throttle flying the plane at a good speed 80 or so. Can't imagine what full throttle will do. 37 years of flying RC and building all types of aircraft.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little BH 50mm PNP micro jets for $85 seem like a pretty good deal, especially considering that they come with a LiPo and balance charger. I saw one fly last month and the owner had nothing but good things to say about it. It flew well despite the high winds, and the flight times were easily over 6 minutes.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM
52Sabre

Just bought one of these myself and my question is: how accurate is that 107mm cg they mention in the manual? suggestions?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Flybri89

Of course they don't fly you got them at Banana Hobby
Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
mobaddawg

I think these 50mm jets are some of thebest jets a have flown yet. I have the 50mm F-16. It has some what of the same problem with banking but it was easily adjusted. I had a J-power F-16 50mm before it. Lost it due to the trims being bumped and losing control.[] But it had stickers on it. I bought to airframe only version and it came with some cheap paint that gets scratched off every time I land. But that fact that it can fly for up to 5 mins in 4-5 mph wind with a top speed of about 80 Mph+ makes it a good lil' jet.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 PM
hoguej115
My Feedback: (13)

I got one of these here recently and was surprised. The plane is a nice plane very sturdy only had like three issues with it after about 10 flights. This is what I found so far, first had to add weight to the nose to get the cg to come out right, second on the 4th flight aileron servo locked up luckily no damage got her on the ground, and third left wing had a slight warp in it so had tyo trim to the right more that normal but think Ihave got the wing starighten out so waiting to do a test flight. Other than these three overall for the price 64.00 before shipping not a bad little plane edf jet is fun to fly.

Jim H