Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Wisdumb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Hello everyone,
Rather than hijack TimRob's thread I thought I'd start my own. I work much better visually rather than by reading step by step and I'm hoping this will help those of you out there that are the same. I'm basically culminating the information from TimRob's thread, the instruction manual, and advice from various posts. I'm open to suggestions and constructive criticism as I'm anything but an expert. In fact this is my first fiberglass model as well as my first ducted fan aircraft. This thread is in the spirit of "B1 Bob" and I'd appreciate it if we can keep this thread free from arguments and "drama." Let's just have fun and learn a little. :-)
I will be using a Stumax SM-110-52 as well as the custom ducting for this fan unit. I have the ducting but do not have the EDF unit yet. I'm waiting to see how Gunrad does his batteries on his before I choose the battery setup. I'd like to do saddle packs around the engine if they will fit.

So on with the show:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55sI0VPtrU[/youtube]
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Cool!
nice walk around and the build is looking really good
this is the prefect size for EDF... I have a 1/8 F-16 and part of me wants to sell it and do this plane becuase I know it will be better for EDF

I'll keep my eye on your build
nice work
Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Wisdumb

I'm about half way through the second video "Building the Wing(s)" I've decided to go High Definition moving forward. This should provide much better video quality than the original iPhone version in "Episode 1."
If anyone has any specific questions or if you want to "see" something specific in the vids, please let me know. I'm making these videos because I was so frustrated when researching this kit for myself. I'm also hoping to show that this kit is easy enough to build for an "average Joe" like myself.
I should have the video complete by Sunday or Monday.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Wisdumb

Here's Episode #2 "Building the Wing(s)"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aBT2mlK3s[/youtube]

UPDATE: I made an edit to the video since I missed a "step." Step 3 was actually 4, step 4 was 5, etc.. That is now fixed.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Wisdumb

I PM'd Gunradd to see how his build was going and he said he flew his today on the Stumax. He will be posting video tomorrow in another thread. I'll be sure to link to it. I'm anxious to see how it performs on the smaller fan with less weight.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Wisdumb

Here's video #3 Finalizing the Wing Pt 1. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEq9JgXvYiA[/youtube]
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Ron101

very detailed and nice build thread... great work
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Wisdumb

Thanks Ron101. I think I'll invest in a tripod this weekend which should allow me to actually show some of the processes rather than just cutting to the end result. Episode #4 coming soon! Should be able to wrap the wing up by Episode #5.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Wisdumb

Here's Gunradd's first flight on the Stumax. He had some issues with the CG and a hard landing, but other than that it looks like its got plenty of power! Now I feel confident to order the fan unit. And it sounds great!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwLExT5AEo&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]
Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Wisdumb

Here's Episode #4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbZwYKEmRzU[/youtube]
Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Wisdumb

If anybody is still watching this thread I just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't abandoned the project.  I'm currently working on two videos simultaneously... "Building the Wing Pt 4" and "Building the Horizontal Stabs"  Stay tuned.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Wisdumb

Here's Episode #5 (finally, the wing is done... for now)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa8EvoLvO9M[/youtube]

Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Wisdumb

Here's episode #6 (Horizontal Stabs)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMFOAKHyfY[/youtube]

I'm also getting ready to paint the turkey feathers.  Does anyone know the colors needed to get something like this?  I need to know the colors for the turkey feathers as well as the "ring" just forward of them.

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/258493/Vt58839.jpg[/img]
Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Good work....but I feel that you need to show in part the work being done not the compleated part. they need to see you making the hole or sanding a part. drawing the line. if not it is like looking at the booklet as they show the hole done, the sanding done. but you did good.
Tuskegee
U.S.Army(ret.)
Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Wisdumb

ORIGINAL: tuskegee

Good work....but I feel that you need to show in part the work being done not the compleated part. they need to see you making the hole or sanding a part. drawing the line. if not it is like looking at the booklet as they show the hole done, the sanding done. but you did good.
Tuskegee
U.S.Army(ret.)
I agree! I'm trying to figure out how to hold the camera and work the tools simultaneously. You've convinced me to go get a new tripod (the one I'm using now actually has the camera taped to the top (my son lost the mounting bracket.) I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the input, I actually appreciate it quite a bit.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Ron101

Looking good
I'm planning on building the yellow F-18 twin next winter... so it's fun to follow along on this one

one thing you may want to try.. I've glassed a few warbirds in the past and I've always layed the glass down first... take a 2" or 3" wide soft paint brush and working from the middle get all the wrinkles out
this also static charges the cloth and it sticks to the wood really good... then pour on the resin just like your doing from the middle working out
You won't have any wrinkles to mess with and the resin won't sit on the wood and soak in as long... your making it work on the stabs but I think the way your doing it is going to be tough on the wings
Try it you may love it
I have also thinned the first coat 50/50 with alcohol layed the glass then just brush on a thin coat to set the cloth... after it dries trim it and come back with another coat not thinned
thats a real easy way also

looking good! can't wait to start mine
Ron
Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 PM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Hello RON101
I have done the same as you but I tack the end down with ca. just a few points . . . for example then pull it tight tack again . . . . then put down my
resin. so far so good. If I have to pull the tack up it is easy.
Well let me go, Warbirds Over Denver has started and it is a 30min drive.
Tuskegee
U.S.Army(ret.)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Wisdumb

Thanks Ron101,
I think I'll try your method on the wing's when I finalize those. Didn't have problems with wrinkles, but I think you're right that it would be easier not to have the wood wet going in. I hope you post something on your F-18 when you start building... that's a sweet plane! I'm considering purchasing a built Yellow Aircraft f-18 single w/scale gear that I've seen on sale locally for about $500 bucks but I've been hesitant because it will delay my engine purchase for this plane. Choices choices choices....

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Looking good
I'm planning on building the yellow F-18 twin next winter... so it's fun to follow along on this one

one thing you may want to try.. I've glassed a few warbirds in the past and I've always layed the glass down first... take a 2" or 3" wide soft paint brush and working from the middle get all the wrinkles out
this also static charges the cloth and it sticks to the wood really good... then pour on the resin just like your doing from the middle working out
You won't have any wrinkles to mess with and the resin won't sit on the wood and soak in as long... your making it work on the stabs but I think the way your doing it is going to be tough on the wings
Try it you may love it
I have also thinned the first coat 50/50 with alcohol layed the glass then just brush on a thin coat to set the cloth... after it dries trim it and come back with another coat not thinned
thats a real easy way also

looking good! can't wait to start mine
Ron
Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Wisdumb

Here it is ladies and gentlemen... Episode #7!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myiw1AMN0zA[/youtube]
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Ron101

Hey Wisdumb,
your last video is set to private, can't view it

I plan to do a build thread one I start up on my F-18
Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Wisdumb

Oops! Fixed. :-)

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Hey Wisdumb,
your last video is set to private, can't view it

I plan to do a build thread one I start up on my F-18
Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 PM
MrN79

Does anyone know the colors needed to get something like this? I need to know the colors for the turkey feathers as well as the ''ring'' just forward of them.
I ordered a kit from BVM called "Hot Section Detail Kit" it Contains (6) one ounce bottles of airbrush ready colors that include (2) Gold Titanium, Magnesium, Steel, Translucent Red and Translucent Blue and the required instructions, cost is around $45.00.

It might be what you're looking for. I haven't used it yet, was going to try my hand at detailing my YA F/A18 single exhaust.

And excellent job on the videos, i don't have the YA F16, but after watching your build videos, i may have to order one to build at a later date.

Mark
Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Wisdumb

ORIGINAL: MrN79

Does anyone know the colors needed to get something like this? I need to know the colors for the turkey feathers as well as the ''ring'' just forward of them.
I ordered a kit from BVM called "Hot Section Detail Kit" it Contains (6) one ounce bottles of airbrush ready colors that include (2) Gold Titanium, Magnesium, Steel, Translucent Red and Translucent Blue and the required instructions, cost is around $45.00.

It might be what you're looking for. I haven't used it yet, was going to try my hand at detailing my YA F/A18 single exhaust.

And excellent job on the videos, i don't have the YA F16, but after watching your build videos, i may have to order one to build at a later date.

Mark
Thanks for the info... I'll take a look! I've been playing with the metalizer paints by Model Master, and they are getting closer... but I think I'm going to need an airbrush regardless of the paint I use to get that "look." Thanks also for the kind words on the build videos. Although I don't have any reference to compare to since this is my first fiberglass model, I will say it seems to be going together very easily and lines up just as well. The only "flaws" I have found so far are two small air bubble voids that will need to be filled. Other than that the finish is great with lots of detail.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Wisdumb

Here's episode#8. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9FJwobU1M[/youtube]
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
MrN79

Another quality video, thanks for sharing your build, and please keep them coming.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.