Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Glassing/Coating foam....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Glassing/Coating foam....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Draggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glassing/Coating foam....

Hello,
I know this has been covered many times, but I needed some experienced opinions on what is best for coating or "glassing" epo foam on edf type airplanes? I have read of various techniques, but I feel I need more info. before I decide on which one to use. I mainly want more durability, as we all do. I am a longtime hobbyist, but new to foam edf's. Thanks for any help offered!

Draggy.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Ductedfann
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Glassing/Coating foam....

Hello Draggy,

With EPO foam any of the methods you have most likly seen will work fine for durability. If it's about hard landings, dings, and hanger rash type durability, you can use carbon fiber or balsa in the corners or in areas where you know you will have the greatest chance of impacts like the wing tips, leading edges, the tips of tail, (elevator, rudder), and the belly if you don't have landing gear.
Just keep in mind that all these things add weight to your foamy, which works against the beauty of foam planes, which was most likly designed to be inexpensive, quick, and easy to get into the air, and not to be a kit that you have to put a lot of work and time into. Another thing to consider is that you did purchase an EPO foam plane and EPO foam is considered pretty resiliant.

Morris, Ductedfans.com
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 AM
MaxThrottle

If its just reducing foam rash and dings Polycrylic like Minwax is very easy to brush on. I light especially if sprayed or brushed on in thin coats.
Its not structural though. For that fine fibre glass and epoxy thinned with isopropanol. The isopropanol evapourates as it sets. Then lots of sanding. Then repaint.
My experience had been start looking into composite/fibre bodies.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Draggy

Thanks!
For those who replied, thanks! I feel that it is not a good trade off to add too much weight when trying to strengthen foam also. I am trying to achieve as much power to weight as possible, and with most minor crashes, repair is fairly simple anyway. Clear tape is so tough, I think this works very well on most pressure points, and leading edges of the wings, ect. I also think I will try some type of polyurethane spray as well, though not go overboard to avoid the dreaded weight gains.

Draggy.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
FrankWilliams
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: MaxThrottle

If its just reducing foam rash and dings Polycrylic like Minwax is very easy to brush on. I light especially if sprayed or brushed on in thin coats.
Its not structural though. For that fine fibre glass and epoxy thinned with isopropanol. The isopropanol evapourates as it sets. Then lots of sanding. Then repaint.

I would avoid Isopropyl and use Denatured. Isopropyl has water in it and tends to leave a film after it dries and I would bet that would affect the way the epoxy cures. I've always used Denatured when glassing with epoxy (and waterproofing boat hulls). Lately I've been using water-based polyurethane for glassing and applying silkspan (yup, I do that sometimes) and have been extremely happy with it. It's not as durable as epoxy, but it's lightweight, easy to sand and cleans up with water... and the smell isn't nearly as bad.

-Frank
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
ny_hawk

ORIGINAL: FrankWilliams

ORIGINAL: MaxThrottle

I would avoid Isopropyl and use Denatured. Isopropyl has water in it and tends to leave a film after it dries and I would bet that would affect the way the epoxy cures. I've always used Denatured when glassing with epoxy (and waterproofing boat hulls). Lately I've been using water-based polyurethane for glassing and applying silkspan (yup, I do that sometimes) and have been extremely happy with it. It's not as durable as epoxy, but it's lightweight, easy to sand and cleans up with water... and the smell isn't nearly as bad.

-Frank
Zpoxy does not smell at all, adds little weight when used correctly and sands very well..
Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 PM
raido56
My Feedback: (10)

Hi, I like 1/2 oz F/G cloth and WBPU as it adds very little extra weight. Plus you can paint over it with any kind of paint. I have done a few jets this way because of the extra power I put in them and to keep them looking good. Here are a few pic's of my Jas-39, F-5e and F-16 these were all covered from nose to tail this way. The T-45 just has a coat of WBPU over the foam no glass on this one.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79927.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1502712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32070.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1502713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29787.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1502714  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 AM
jesses151
My Feedback: (1)

Hey, I  don't know if anyone else has mentioned this stuff, but I've been using the liquid sheeting offered by wowplanes.com. Here's the link: http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...f4abd5e19d11b3
This stuff works great.
-Jesse
Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 AM
BD5wingnut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to use 3/4 or 1oz glass on the fuse and 1/2 oz on everything else with West Systems epoxy. The trick, well my trick, to keeping things light is to use those little throw-away foam rollers. Get the higher density white foam ones that slip onto the metal and plastic handle, the cheaper yellow (low density) foam rollers with cheap throw away handle do not do so well.

I sand the foam (on the aircraft) and vacuum carefully to remove all the dust. Do not forget to vacuum the work area as well, the foam dust has a nasty static charge and will contaminate your work when you least want it.

With the area cleaned and prepped for glass work, roll out your glass and cut two pieces (one Top/one Bottom) on a bias (fibers running at 45 degree angles to the center-line) cut them well over-sized for extra material to grasp. Be aware the glass will tend to stretch and distort when cut on a bias, but you will not get wrinkles or puckers when applied properly.

Next I dust (just a light spritzing) 3M 77 spray adhesive onto the bottom half of the fuse or wing, do this outside or where you do not mind the spray adhesive getting all over EVERYTHING. Now carefully lay the glass down on the fuse/wing and smooth it flat working from the middle out, ensuring good contact. On the fuse I pick a line about half way around and carefully cut the glass with a very sharp blade. I do not cut much into the foam, only deep enough to cut the glass. On wings use the leading and trailing edges to cut along.

Now go back outside and dust the other side with the 77 spray and repeat the glass step as well, except overlap the first layer by about a 1/4 inch or so. Now you mix up a couple of ounces of resin which I do not like to thin, proper laminating resin will be thin enough. Stir it thoroughly and let it stand for a minute or two, this is called dwell time and allows the resin to "Homogenize" kinda. You will be using slow resin of course, no need to rush yourself needlessly.

Pour the resin in a plastic or foam plate and break-out your foam roller, saturate it well and go to town, you want to move the resin around quickly and evenly trying not to spend too much time in one area as the glass will start to lift. I do this in two stages which allows me to rest the fuse on one side while the resin cures then do the other side and let it cure. Sometimes, I have the ability to hang the part from the ceiling and do the whole unit at once.

Of course then begins the fun of sanding, filling and painting. Your finish applies here...

Good luck, Wolf
Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A trick for cutting out the glass cloth is to lay it out on cardboard and your knife will zip right thru it with a nice clean edge.

I second West Systems epoxy, after you use it one time with the pumpers, you will never think of using anything else again.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:29 PM
BD5wingnut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the pumps are a great boon to measuring the epoxy.

I use one of the circular cutters, kinda like a pizza cutter. Use on a piece of vinyl flooring.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I tried the pizza cutter too but slicing over just plain ol cardboard seems to give me a much cleaner cut. By getting that stretch free cut I also seem to hold my glass in the same shape as I want it to go onto the plane better. Just my experience.