Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Venom F86-70 EDF ARF

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Venom F86-70 EDF ARF

CBM:

How difficult was it to get the old fan unit OUT of the fuselage? I inadvertently yanked one of the ESC wires loose from the motor and tried to remove the fan for access, and it refused to cooperate.

I ended up fishing the wires out and reconnecting them, but in the even that I decide to replace the fan or motor, it would be nice to know how the whole affair comes out.

Thanks for any help you can provide-
Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM
CBM Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used an exacto knife and the glue that squeezed out chips off, then carefully slid knife between housing and fuselage. Grab firmly and work back and forth. Takes a bit more strength than you would think, but it will come loose without tearing foam apart. The glue on bottom of housing/fuse seems like it never really dried solid, but is still pretty strong and came out cleanly. The eflight fan was a direct drop in. Just watch the wires where they enter the fuse as if not oriented right the fan unit sits crooked. Clear silicone used sparingly held the new fan very well.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew it at the Eight Air Force Fall Fly In last Saturday, and I fielded a lot of questions like "Who makes that jet?" and "is that the Venom ARF"? It's not very fast (so I couldn't demonstrate much in that department), but I did lay down a few high-alpha passes with all the stuff out (even the speed brakes), and I got a LOT of comments about how great it slows down. My goal was to be SLOWER than the giant-scale Eindecker that was putting around, and I believe I actually did it. There were all these huge scale planes putt-putting around the pattern, and I was following them around nose up (flaps down, gear down, brakes out). It was somewhat comical.

And the best part: NO TIP STALL!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made a new video of the Venom F-86 since we were having fun with it yesterday. In my review, I hand-launched it and showed how it can be landed on the tip tanks. This time, I got a video of my hand launch and we landed it on grass with the gear down. The advantage here is that it can be taxied back.

We pretty much fly at full throttle using the stock power system. This model flies so well that I may put my Change Sun 10-blade DF in it for a power and sound upgrade.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/Reviews/VenomF86b.wmv]Venom F86 Off Grass[/link] (26meg)
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
SU-31 flyer

Could not get the Vid to open.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Greg Covey

Sorry about that! My Web host recently changed to a Unix server and the links are now case sensitive.

It should work now...
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM
SU-31 flyer

Greg Covey Date 6/24/2012 9:19 PM
Sorry about that! My Web host recently changed to a Unix server and the links are now case sensitive.

It should work now...

Very nice! Is that all stock? I have two of them in the box yet need to get them going.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Greg Covey

Thanks. Yes, it is a stock setup. I'm surprised that Venom didn't stay in the airplane sector of our hobby longer. First they came out with a 70mm series of EDFs and then a micro series. Now it seems that they stopped selling them, which is too bad because they fly great!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 AM
[email protected]

Iam just finishing up with my F 86 and had to give up on the stock retracts.  I chose the e flight 15 set and have them mounted in and the work fine with the testor.  My question is do I need reduced power or can the be connected into the reciever?  I read abot a BEC module that supplies the right amount of power so not to over power and trash the retracts.  Has anyone found out what is really needed.   I just want to finish up and fly without ruining something.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Greg Covey

I'm not sure what you are asking. The E-flite 10-15 size retracts can take a wide range of supply voltage from 4.8v to 7.4v so you should be fine by just plugging them into the receiver.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
SilverState RC

Greg have you installed that Change Sun fan yet? If not I have the Desert rats version and have run the CS 10 fan in mine. Im sure you probably know this already but it is an amp hog because of the load caused by 10 blades. I have had great sucess with this set up using the Eflite 3200KV motor with a Hobby Wing 100A ESC to support the added amp load. Its quite fast with this set up providing impressive vertical and HUGE loops. Sadly because the biggest 4S battery that I can fit only a 3300mah 40C. I tried to run a 4000 mah to get the extra flight time but its just to big. I would have to remove a portion of the floor inside the canopy to get it to work. So my flight times were only about 3 mins before I HAD to land. Ive since removed the CS 10 from it. I now run the Eflight BL 15V with a Eflight 3600KV motor 100amp esc and get easily 5-6 min with a couple of go arounds for landing flying mostly 3/4 to WOT doing high speed passes, loops and lots of vertical climbs.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Greg Covey

Hi,

Yes, I agree with your assessment. I am also using the E-flite 15 motor with 3200Kv in my CS10 but have not put it in my Venon F-86. I have a hard time dissecting a good working model so I was waiting for either a breakdown of the stock power system or a new host.

Depending on your goals, a 3-minute flight can be enough when the performance is great but your E-flite BL15 system sounds like a good setup for the F-86.

I was also thinking of trying my current CS10 setup on a 3s battery, perhaps in a lighter EDF host. Time will tell...

Thanks for the report!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 AM
rgs1

Re: Venom

I sent them an email last week and the marketing director actually responded back!

I told them how much I liked the F-86 70mm and why did they quit making it and why out of bigger edf business. He said that this F-86 was being made by "back door" manufacturers and the quality was sub-par and they couldn't control the process so they stopped. He said that there are plans to reenter the market this fall. That's good news...if true.

Russ

P.S. I have a Huff that I have had only a couple of months and it's my favorite plane by far. I'll post the maiden if I can figure out how to post video here. I'm fairly new to RC Universe.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM
rgs1

F-86 Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9RSbUbi4M

Pic:

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54245.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1788297  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Russ,

Thanks for posting the video and feedback from Venom. It would be nice to see some new designs from them that meet their quality expectations. The only issues I had were some leaky air hoses and valve. Other than that, the F-86 was a keeper!

Regards.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 AM
rgs1

...and mine was with all electric retracts stock so that wasn't even a problem. They weren't glued in well and fell off after first landing but no damage and just Gorilla Glue'd 'em back in and no problems since.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: rgs1

...and mine was with all electric retracts stock so that wasn't even a problem. They weren't glued in well and fell off after first landing but no damage and just Gorilla Glue'd 'em back in and no problems since.
Where did you buy yours from with electric retracts?