RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3244192-aerocat-fast-pusher-%2A70-mph%2A.html)

twinturbostang 09-12-2006 03:17 PM

RE: AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH*

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of my 'Cat. Oddly enough, it looks a lot like all the other 'cats shown so far! :)

Included are pics of aileron and elevator carbon rod linkage, custom 5x5.5 prop, motor mount wind break (styrofoam covered w/ packing tape), and leading edge carbon tube, which is also covered in packing tape to give a real nice smooth leading edge. I've got lots of things still planned. [>:]

Galloping Ghost 09-12-2006 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is true, the speed can be addicting, but let's not forget the AeroCat flies great through the entire speed range. ;)

Our Thistledown Flyers RC Club just had a huge IMAA Fly In, and I was lucky enough to have some of the top pilots around flying the AeroCat. XFC competitors Andrew Jesky, Jeff Heitman, and Matt Mahnke are all AeroCat owners and it was awesome to see what they can do with their planes.

We were flying after hours and under stadium lights brought in for the show. It was very cool!

The pic below is of Andrew Jesky and I after a flight. This boy can flat fly!

Done bragging now!

Scott

Pics from our flyin here: www.ThistledownFlyers.com

www.ModelAero.com

twinturbostang 09-12-2006 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Galloping Ghost
It is true, the speed can be addicting, but let's not forget the AeroCat flies great through the entire speed range. ;)
Oh I know. I was showing another flying buddy today my 'Cat. This was the first time he saw one fly. He was very impressed by it's flight performance. He really liked how stable it was at low speeds, and then flat out screamin!

It's lots of fun flying low and slow. I have an itchy left thumb though. Probably runs in my blood though. I had a 600+ horsepower Ford Mustang, and now I'm working another one that will be even more powerful. (check my screen name). I don't think there's any escaping my addiction for speed. :D

twinturbostang 09-15-2006 10:05 AM

Ouch.

Lesson learned. Be VERY careful hand launching these pusher prop planes. I got nicked on the index finger by the prop yesterday. This is a reminder to me that these things are NOT toys, and are to be handled with respect. It could have been A LOT worse, and I'm thankful that it was mostly just a flesh wound. It's also important to remember to follow through on your launch to get your hand/fingers out of the way as quickly as possible.

I think I'm going to explore some other possible launch techniques!

Galloping Ghost 09-15-2006 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: twinturbostang

Ouch.

Lesson learned. Be VERY careful hand launching these pusher prop planes. I got nicked on the index finger by the prop yesterday. This is a reminder to me that these things are NOT toys, and are to be handled with respect. It could have been A LOT worse, and I'm thankful that it was mostly just a flesh wound. It's also important to remember to follow through on your launch to get your hand/fingers out of the way as quickly as possible.

I think I'm going to explore some other possible launch techniques!
I'm glad it wasn't worse.

I have a launch technique that I have used since day one for the AeroCat. Grab the leading edge of the right wing with your right hand, throttle up to 1/2 to 3/4, and fling it like a Frisbee. It works like a charm, and your hand is never near the prop.

Trust me, it works great.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

twinturbostang 09-15-2006 06:17 PM

I've tried that technique with my Pocket Combat Wing, with not much success. The PCW is much more finicky though. I flew the 'cat again today. First flight I had a buddy launch it power off. Throttled up as soon as it cleared him. Wasn't pretty (dropped a bit) but it worked. Second flight I got enough courage again to try launching it myself under power. This time though, I extended my arm all the ways up before launching. This helps because it forces you to bring your arm back down and away from the plane as you release. I also used less throttle this time so it wasn't trying to blaze out of my hand.

I may try your technique though. I'm left handed btw, so you're directions are backwards for me. :) Hey, if I put a carbon post on the end of the wing, I could launch it like a discus launch glider! Naaw, probably too much drag on the carbon post. :)

Galloping Ghost 09-15-2006 09:04 PM

You could use the discus launch, but you'd want to reinforce the carbon post!!!

Try the Frisbee launch. It's easy and once you do it you will be hooked.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

twinturbostang 09-16-2006 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Galloping Ghost

You could use the discus launch, but you'd want to reinforce the carbon post!!!
Heh, my buddy's DLG has a carbon/kevlar wing. Me thinks 6mm Depron is not up to the task! :)

Galloping Ghost 09-16-2006 04:47 PM

I'm fascinated by the videos of the DLG's I've seen. That looks really cool. Never seen one in person.

You rip the wing clean off the AeroCat!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 09-25-2006 10:19 PM

Model Aero is happy to announce a new, low cost Combo Deal!

We were able to get a great deal on some 18 amp ESC's, and by combining these with the CustomCDR Hot Single, we are offering the AeroCat or AeroSport, CustomCDR motor, and 18 amp ESC for only $124.95 with FREE SHIPPING!!

This is a fantastic performing package and is nice and light.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

tekajo 10-01-2006 11:23 PM

Can anyone give me any advice on the durabiltiy of these airplanes. I assume someone has crashed. How did the plane hold up?

Spid 10-04-2006 11:16 AM

I've found that planes that fly well, don't necessaarily crash well. The AeroCat is an excellent flyer and holds up well for being a flat 6mm depron foam plane. I've hand no problems with it's durability. That being said, you are still just dealing with flat 6mm depron and a few carbon fiber rods so you are limited in your durability mileage by the nature of this type of plane itself.

However, I don't know of many planes that will be fine after lawn darting them in at over 70+MPH either, which is what this puppy will do. Great fun! Excellent plane! Puts a smile on my face every time I fly it and it's a real crowd pleaser as well.

Galloping Ghost 10-04-2006 06:18 PM

Like SPID said, there aren't many planes that will stand up to a 70 mph crash! I had one of the original AeroCat prototypes that did just that due to radio failure. It went straight in at 60++ and it wasn't real pretty. It even broke the motor!

The battery pack, however, I am still using today, even though it was bent severely in the crash. It lived outside for about a month after the event. But it doesn't seem any the worse for wear, and that was a year and a half ago!

I am still flying the original #1 production AeroCat, delivered July 2nd, 2005, and it still looks good after many, many, flights.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 10-07-2006 01:01 PM

Flew mine on a cliff in around 20 mph winds and it was great. Very fast, downwind.. Many people were thinking that * oh some newb with his flat foamie, but when I hit full power and came down wind than the oh's and ah's wouldn't stop :D .

Great plane.

SS2P 10-18-2006 10:12 PM

no posts lately...
I haven't had a change to fly mine lately cause of the my lipo accident. I'm waiting for a new one.

Crash One 10-18-2006 10:15 PM

Did your Li-Po bail out without a chute?:D Mine did last week.

Galloping Ghost 10-20-2006 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

This is a little off topic, but since it's my thread, I figure I can post it! :)

I just completed a little project that turned out pretty cool. I installed micro retracts on an AeroSport pusher jet. For those of you that may not know, the AeroSport is the other foamie jet in the Model Aero line. It has excellent slow flight characteristics, so I chose to try the retracts on it instead of the AeroCat.

The retracts work great and look really sweet when they go up right after takeoff. I rigged a steerable nosewheel so it can be taxied around.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of it. I plan on taking it down to the JR Indoor Electric Fest next month to fly inside the golf dome. Should be fun!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 10-20-2006 05:41 PM

Really nice! Which ones did you use? Micro? (probably :D

Galloping Ghost 10-20-2006 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: SS2P

Really nice! Which ones did you use? Micro? (probably :D
I used the GWS Light retracts. They work pretty well, and they are light. I used an old Futaba micro servo to drive all three retracts, and a 9 gram servo for steering. The linkages were tricky, but once I got them right, it is a reliable system.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 10-21-2006 08:26 AM

Excellent job!

Galloping Ghost 10-22-2006 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Crash One

Excellent job!
Thanks!

The best part is coming in slow with the nose up about 30 degrees, dropping the gear, and then setting her down on the mains. This plane flies so easy in high alpha that it is a breeze to land that way.

I can't wait to try it indoors. Should be alot of fun. I'll try to get some video.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 10-22-2006 08:51 PM

You should make a version with retracts. :D

Galloping Ghost 10-23-2006 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: SS2P

You should make a version with retracts. :D
The retracts are pretty easy to install. The linkages are tricky, but it's just a matter of bending until you get them right. It took me around 6 or 7 hours total just for the retracts including design time.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 10-23-2006 10:51 PM

Scott, I'm lazy...can you provide part numbers and a supplier of the correct retracts please? Will they work on the AeroCat's I still haven't had time to build?

Galloping Ghost 10-25-2006 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash One

Scott, I'm lazy...can you provide part numbers and a supplier of the correct retracts please? Will they work on the AeroCat's I still haven't had time to build?
These are the retracts I used right here:

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...products_id=26

They would probably work on the AeroCat also.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com