RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3244192-aerocat-fast-pusher-%2A70-mph%2A.html)

Crash One 10-25-2006 09:30 PM

RE: AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH*

Thanks. What about the steerable nose retract? That's the one I can't locate.

Galloping Ghost 10-26-2006 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Crash One

Thanks. What about the steerable nose retract? That's the one I can't locate.
I could not find a steerable nose retract either, so I improvised! I mounted the standard retract on balsa blocks like you can see in the pics, then screwed a round servo arm to the bottom. I then epoxied the round servo arm to the plane. There is not alot of steering throw, but you don't need much. Just enough to taxi out, turn around, and takeoff! The control horn is just a servo arm cut off and CA'd to the balsa block.

Here's another pic to simplify things.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 11-02-2006 06:36 PM

The Model Aero crew are heading down to the JR Indoor Electric Fest tomorrow. We are setting up a booth, so if you are there, please stop by and introduce yourself!

We are taking down plenty of AeroCats and AeroSports, Extreme Flight Yaks and Extras, and a bunch of motors, ESC's, servos, etc.

We have also put together a special combo of an AeroCat/AeroSport, Dualsky Xmotor 2826CA-12T, and an 18 amp ESC for $99.95 !

The Dualsky motor was a pleasant surprise when we put it on the test stand. 12.8 amps at WOT, with 23 oz. of thrust! This means you will have over 2:1 thrust to weight on an 11 oz. plane. Can you say insane vertical! Yes you can! This is a low cost combo that is high on performance.

If I have any left after the show, I'll offer them here or on the Model Aero website.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 11-02-2006 07:10 PM

Where is that event held?

Galloping Ghost 11-02-2006 09:53 PM

Where is that event held?
The JR Indoor event is held in Columbus, Ohio in a huge golf dome. It is one of the biggest indoor events of the year. Luckily, it is only 2 1/2 hours from my home.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.jriefestival.com/

SS2P 11-05-2006 12:31 PM

I have one TP 2200 extreme pack and I was wondering how would it do with a Custom CDR single? or should I get a JGF 400?

Galloping Ghost 11-05-2006 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: SS2P

I have one TP 2200 extreme pack and I was wondering how would it do with a Custom CDR single? or should I get a JGF 400?
The TP Extreme 2200 would be overkill for the CDR single, but would be killer with the JGF 400. I have gotten away somewhat from flying the super heavy packs on my planes, but they will give you the highest top speeds.

That pack with a 6/5.5 prop will be ballistic, but keep in mind the amps would be higher than recommended!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

c/f 11-11-2006 09:14 AM

Ss2,

I have both those motors but the best alternative motor is the LittleScreamers ParkJet motor from HobbyLobby........

Heres a teaser:
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Galloping Ghost 11-11-2006 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: c/f

Ss2,

I have both those motors but the best alternative motor is the LittleScreamers ParkJet motor from HobbyLobby........

Heres a teaser:
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1
The Parkjet motors are excellent performing motors, and I understand the quality is even better on the Hobby Lobby shipments.

They work great in the AeroCat and AeroSport.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 11-15-2006 05:31 PM

Scott, It's really none of my business but I'm assuming you have a patent on the AeroCat. I saw a "new" plane on Hobby-Lobby that sure looks like a cheaper copy and look what the suggested motor is! Here's the link:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/firebird-jet.htm

Galloping Ghost 11-16-2006 06:54 PM

Scott, It's really none of my business but I'm assuming you have a patent on the AeroCat. I saw a "new" plane on Hobby-Lobby that sure looks like a cheaper copy and look what the suggested motor is! Here's the link:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/firebird-jet.htm
There is not near enough money in foamies to be thinking about patents! I saw that HL plane fly at the JR Indoor, along with another very similar design to the AeroCat. It's amazing that 2 years ago there were no other production "Cat" foamie jets and now there are many. I guess I'll take that as a compliment!

Honestly, the HL Cat is a good looking plane. But at $75 I think it will be a tough sell.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 11-16-2006 08:31 PM

Scott,
I agree. The price is up there and it sure looks like 3mm Depron instead of 6MM on the video. I was hoping maybe you were getting a cut on those birds. In my opinion YOU still have THE CAT.

I have an invention now for my work that I'm not going to fully develop because someone in the company would end up stealing my concept as they did on a previous product I provided to them expecting credit and CASH. My boss took the credit until he couldn't explain how it worked. I got the credit and he got the axe.

Keep the great ideas coming and don't worry about the competition...they won't last!
Dan.

Galloping Ghost 11-16-2006 09:28 PM

Scott,
I agree. The price is up there and it sure looks like 3mm Depron instead of 6MM on the video. I was hoping maybe you were getting a cut on those birds. In my opinion YOU still have THE CAT.

I have an invention now for my work that I'm not going to fully develop because someone in the company would end up stealing my concept as they did on a previous product I provided to them expecting credit and CASH. My boss took the credit until he couldn't explain how it worked. I got the credit and he got the axe.

Keep the great ideas coming and don't worry about the competition...they won't last!
Dan.
Thanks Dan.

I had alot of people warn me that I would be copied, and they were right. But there is nothing you can do about it but try to stay ahead of the curve. I have a couple of things in the works, but it will be tough to come up with another AeroCat. That was a case of having the right plane at the right time.

The AeroSport has not caught on quite like AeroCat did, and I'm not sure why. The airplane certainly performs well enough. In fact, it is capable of some really extreme high alpha maneuvers. I flew it quite a bit down at the JR Indoor. I enjoy flying it every bit as much as the AeroCat, if not more.

It's a tough business, especially offering printed kits that are made in the USA. But hopefully there will always be a market for quality products, even if they are not necessaily the cheapest.

By the way, Model Aero is offering free shipping on all products through the 1st of the year.

Thanks for all the support here on the forum!

Scott DeTray

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 11-22-2006 10:06 PM

Greetings,

Model Aero is offering Free Shipping on all products through Christmas. No gimmicks and no hassles. You order it, it ships for free in the USA!

Also, any AeroCat or AeroSport pusher jet combo not only ships free, but I'll throw in a free prop adapter and APC prop!

The AeroCat and AeroSport pusher jets are made with pride in the USA.

Thanks for your continued support and have a great Holiday Season.

Scott DeTray

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 12-07-2006 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

I have been looking for the next pusher jet to kit and here is a prototype of an Aero L-159B. It was maidened a couple weeks ago and flies great. I'm running an LS Parkjet on the prototype.

Specs:

Wingspan: 30"
Length: 35"
Motor: CustomCDR Single or LS Parkjet or EDF
Prop: APC 6/5.5
AUW: 12.6 oz. w/1500 3 cell lipo

This has always been one of my all time favorite jets. I just love the lines. I'm on the fence on whether to produce this one. So I'd really appreciate some feedback.

My intention was to mount an EDF in the middle of the wing/fuse, but I wanted to try the airframe with a pusher first to see if it flew OK. Even with a light motor on the tail, I still had to run a 1500 battery to achieve balance. This turned out OK because it flies really nice. It is solid as a rock.

It's a pretty big commitment to produce a kit like this with printed graphics, etc. I'd sure feel better if I got some positive feedback on it! So please take a look at the pics and post your thoughts. Keep in mind the production graphics would be much better than the quick spray paint job on the proto.

Also, please note that Model Aero has Free Shipping through the end of the year.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 12-07-2006 07:24 PM

It looks like a great plane. However, my opinion is that it might be a hard sell as you'd be drifting away from the unique and more towards the mainstream. Thus more competetion from the non-USA made companies who can copy and sell cheap.

Since you've already got two great birds and the R&D done to help with all types of motor option packages, why not try an offering of the AeroCat and AeroSport in a Micro version and/or an extra-large version for folks like me with bad eyes? ( I'll gladly be a test pilot! )

While I don't mind paying more for quality kits, I do lean more towards the kits that offer something unique or totally different from everyone else. The AeroCat and AeroSport do /(did) that very well as evidenced by the copy-cat versions now on the market.

My friend in Atlanta is still having trouble selling his unique kits because not everyone is willing to plop down $350+ for a flat foamie with proprietary technology. I think you are priced right and the quality shows in both your birds.

Just my two-cent opinion!
Dan.

Spid 12-08-2006 02:52 PM

I like it! I'd buy one and put a LSPJ on it too! Great little motor.

Thanks,
Kevin

Galloping Ghost 12-09-2006 10:34 AM

Dan - Thanks for your input. I have some ideas for the graphics for the L-159B that would really make it stand out, and it does fly very well. That is the #1 goal when designing a plane is that it must fly great, and the 159B did right out of the box, just like the AeroCat. Now the AeroSport, on the other hand, took 6 re-designs before I was happy with it.

I bult a micro AeroSport a few weeks ago, and it didn't fly as well as I'd hoped. It was a 15" span with a little Feigao motor. 4 oz. AUW. It looked cool, but just didn't deliver in the air. There's not alot of very light brushless motors out there with the power I want. Now a micro AeroCat might be interesting!

Keven - OK, I am putting you on the list if I produce this plane! I am flying it with a very early version of the LSPJ, and it is a great motor. I also just got a Hyperflow EDF which I am going to try on the L-150B.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Spid 12-09-2006 05:33 PM

Sweet!! Thanks Scott. I'd definitely get one if you decide to produce it. Please keep me/us posted.

Kevin

Galloping Ghost 12-12-2006 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple pics of the L-159B with a Hyperflow EDF installed. I am waiting for a 4200kv motor for the fan.

Thrust with this setup should be around 15 oz. at right around 20 amps. AUW will be about 14 oz. with a 1320 3 cell, so performance should be pretty good.

I'll post a flight report for the EDF version.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 12-12-2006 05:44 PM

Ok, those pictures and the EDF look great. I'm back on the band wagon!

Galloping Ghost 12-12-2006 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's see how the thing flies with the EDF before we get too excited!

My intention would be to offer the kit so that it could be built either pusher prop or EDF. I know some EDF guys don't like pusher props and vice versa. So let's give 'em a choice!

There will be some small changes if we produce it, mainly with the graphics and the wingtip tanks need to be more scale. I'm not sure what to make them out of. Something light and strong. Not carbon!!! They need to look like the pic below. Ideas?

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Spid 12-13-2006 12:00 PM

Hi Scott,

Based on the location of the EDF unit, do you have any concerns about airflow into the unit? I think you'll be ok, but I'm not an EDF expert. The EDF location reminds me of the Wattage Turbo Vector and that performed very well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Spid 12-13-2006 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Galloping Ghost

Let's see how the thing flies with the EDF before we get too excited!

My intention would be to offer the kit so that it could be built either pusher prop or EDF. I know some EDF guys don't like pusher props and vice versa. So let's give 'em a choice!

There will be some small changes if we produce it, mainly with the graphics and the wingtip tanks need to be more scale. I'm not sure what to make them out of. Something light and strong. Not carbon!!! They need to look like the pic below. Ideas?

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Wooden dowell rod might work. Up to you whether the shaping is to be done by the customer or you supply them shaped in the kit.

Galloping Ghost 12-13-2006 06:50 PM

The location of the EDF will affect the performance somewhat, but we won't know until we test it.

A very reputable EDF guy on RC Groups suggested beveling the foam to a point both fore and aft of the fan. Then he started talking about efflux and percentages and he kind of lost me. Bottom line, you want the smoothest airflow possible into and out of the EDF. He thinks the performance will be good.

Regarding the tip-tanks, I'd like to have them tapered and painted when they go in the kit box. Being made in the USA, my kits aren't the cheapest, so I like to offer a high level of pre-fabrication. If it weren't for the tapering, it would be easy!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com