RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   FUNJET (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/7025302-funjet.html)

chippedprop 02-04-2008 09:27 PM

FUNJET

OK
I can see that there is not a thread in here for Multiplex Funjets.
So if you have one post some pics. and let's start a discussion about upgrades and improvements
I have one Funjet and a couple of Srtykers. The funjet is much faster.
CP

chippedprop 02-05-2008 08:42 AM

RE: FUNJET

The Multiplex Funjet is a great plane. It is not a plane for a beginner. Highly mod. this plane can reach speeds of over 120mph.

I was looking for a current picture of my FJ before the ESC failed on Sunday 2-3-08 resulting in a crash and trashing the plane. I know I have them somewhere....................
Any way this thread is to get the FJ on RC universe.

If you fly a Parkzone Stryker and want to go from NASCAR to INDY Series then your at the right place!!!

I'm just a basic flyer-- I don't have a lot of electronic gizmos-I don't even have a Watts up meter - due to cost and income-but I do have access to them-the point is you can fly fast and fairly cheap if you work at it.
I usually have to purchase all parts over a long period of time, but I enjoy the RC world a lot.
I also like to improve on current planes by reducing the drag and upgrade the response by added balsa elevons and Carbon fiber to stiffen the plane.

The now wrecked FJ weighed in at 21 oz with 2100 ma batt. ready to toss

EX. The FJ that crashed 2-3-08 had been moded with a new and lower canopy and deck-balsa elevons and carbon fiber rods.
Powered by a e-flite 6 series 2700 kv motor ---apc 6x5.5 cut down to 5.5x5.5---3 cell polyquest 2100 ma.
Another guy at the field had a "stock" FJ with a mega 3000kv-- pylon racer prop-- same cell count- and we were just about even in speed-so I know I made a diff. in the plane.

OK your asking why did it crash -- I didn't put a large enough ESC in the plane -I over amped the ESC--won't make that mistake again. I knew it when I set up the plane-but the race was on and I couldn't let my plane be shown up--big ego!!!

Ok so this is the place for all FunJet pilots to share the secerts so all can have a great and FAST plane
Chippedprop

chippedprop 02-05-2008 07:47 PM

I ordered a replacement FJ
I will post pics as I build. I'm going to do some exp. on the crashed one to see if I can apply to the new one. Will post pics as I go
Should not have camera issues as on a stryker build.
CP

chippedprop 02-11-2008 08:38 AM

Fj has arrived!!!
Working on some ideas on the crashed plane. I will have limited time this week due to working at the theater after work.
I'm a Technical Director for the Spartanburg Rep. Company.
Will keep posting

Tow Cobra 02-13-2008 12:30 PM

I look foreward to you build.

I too fly several strykers but I wanted something new and so I bougth and built a FJ. It's an easy build and flys very smoothly. I haven't maxed it out yet. This week, I ordered a Mega 16/25/3 for it and I use the Eflite 60 amp speed control. I was flying it with the stock motor from the Stryker F27c but it just didn't have a lot of power. I will probably end up with 4s battery, the Mega motor, and a 6x5.5 prop and see what kind of speed I can get. I attach a Garmin Wrist GPS to the plane to check speed (this only cost about $120) so I'll report when I know my speed but weather has been cold in the North East so I think it will be a few weeks before I get her up again.

chippedprop 02-13-2008 03:16 PM

I think I recall your name on some of the older Stryker posts. I'm working on streamlined FJ. On the current one I replaced the stock canopy with a (don't LOL) with one made from a 3 liter soda bottle--cut to fit over the space. Added 6 places to screw it down. Much less drag. I even have enough space to run a 4c 3300ma batt.--drops right in. I have used this on all Strykers for the last 1 1/2 yrs.
I guess I'm going to post current photos as I can't find the old ones.
The new one, as I'm working the details out on paper, will have exposed motor like the Stryker. I have read many people discuss the shape of the motor mount area on thr FJ, as blocking air for the prop to bite. I agree. So I will try to solve this and hopefully made a faster plane with the same motor.
The goal(s)
1- increase speed by reducing drag
2-increase flying time at WOT
3- be able to change motors in under 3 minutes
4-increase the OMG factor by 2:D

Stay tuned it's going to be a different FJ
CH
Check my gallery and you will see a very different Stryker

tIANci 02-14-2008 03:42 AM

The FJ would be great fun on a 4S-5S set up with a Neu motor. Try this video of a nutty RC guy who hangs out in RC Groups. This MJ is absurdly fast. The FJ would be a great candidate, spacious fuse and all. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46nxgGaGj94

Tow Cobra 02-14-2008 09:28 AM

Man, that Microjet is screaming. Have to see what kind of set up he has.

Love to see some pics of your FJ mods, Chippedprop.

-Tow

tIANci 02-14-2008 10:34 AM

Tow - he hangs out in RCG ... look for the pusher jet thread and seek out Cartman. Its running on a Neu motor turning a 4.75 x 4.75 at about 44,000 RPM. Yeah I would love something like that but its totally nuts. The faster you go the more nonsense you want to try and guess what happens ... keraaasssssshh. I think you guys have made me feel to get another FJ and try out a hot set up. Think I will go see the LHS tomorrow ... this time I will go with a 4S set up. Would be happy with 600W-750W and giving my about 110 mph.

chippedprop 02-18-2008 09:30 AM

YEAH!!!
Play is all done so now I can start the FJ build

Fresnojay76 02-19-2008 01:53 AM

Hmmm. A new FJ thread, Nice. I too have a FJ that is no 120 mph plane but chases down strykers quite often. Will have to track down a picture of it but can give the setup I use. No special mods save for the Packing tape underneath for non-grass landings.

Motor: Stryker "C" 1880Kv
ESC: OEMRC 40A LIPO Shield with switching BEC.
Servos: 2 HS-55's (will be replaced eventually by HS-65's)
Batteries: Loong Max 2250 mah 3s 20C and 4s 25C

Jason

chippedprop 02-19-2008 09:23 AM

Glad to see we have some postings
I will go shopping for all parts and pieces to build/rebuild my Fun JET.
Now this is not the super smoking spend 100's of bucks on a FJ site as I'm not rich. It is the site to get and share common sense low budget ideas to improve on a great plane.
If you look at my gallery you'll get an idea on the route I'm taking.
The orange Stryker has been a 3 yr. effort. Crash- fix- fly - repete -- as I taught myself to fly on a Stryker--DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!

I will start posting pics and comments this week ( the wife is going out of town so I can build....)
Stay tuned.....
CP

Fresnojay76 02-19-2008 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok got some pics to put up of my FJ. Yes she is different but my fiance inspired the paint scheme and it came out rather nice.

Jason

chippedprop 02-27-2008 11:06 AM

Just a note
Due to the sudden death of my dad (flying partner) I'll be away for a while but will get back in the saddle a.s.a.p.
CP

Gryphon 02-28-2008 04:17 AM

chippedprop,

Hello my old friend.

I am so sorry to read about your father passing away.

You have my condolences.

Let me know if I can help in any way. I have free time on my hands since I am not working right now.

Your friend,

Gryphon

tIANci 02-28-2008 11:35 PM

Chipped ... so sorry to hear about the passing ... my condolences

chippedprop 03-03-2008 08:50 PM

Strange my other post is missing.....
I'm back and will start this week on the new FJ. A trip to the LHS to get the parts and stuff is a must. The new 45 amp ESC is in and waiting. New fuse. is in the shop--and the drawings are all done.
I will post some pics of the up coming build asap

Time to get building and flying. Last winter I flew ever month/ever week missed a couple this year.
CP

chippedprop 03-03-2008 08:51 PM

Thanks to all about my Dad!!!![8D]
CP

lussorocuztoms 03-03-2008 09:33 PM

hey guys, thought i would post my FUNJET stats.....
2 HS-81 servos hitec electron 6 rx, CC 60 esc 4cell 2500 flightpower lipo 5x5 carbon prop 837 watts 142mph.....

a couple of you guys mentioned CARTMAN from RC groups he lives in my town and last time he was out at the field he has a 2500 watt FUNJET SET UP but has never flown yet, he ditched electrics and got into turbine jets!! dont i wish! but his MicroJET is screamin fast !!

Tow Cobra 03-03-2008 09:59 PM

My funjet is taking shape.

I just put in a Mega 16/25/3 and the prop is an 8x4 but I'll try a few to decide what suits my flying needs. I'm using the Eflite 60 amp ESC so I don't have to add the external BEC when I go up to 4 or 5 cells. Will keep you guys posted on the progress.

I hope to fly it soon but weather has been a bit cold and windy in my neck of the woods.

By the way, where should the CG be for a high performance FJ setup? Any difference going from 3 to 4 and 5 cells (all about 2500 Mah).

chippedprop 03-04-2008 10:06 AM

The Cg should be somewhere around the org. ....but as we add cells and increase batt. size you can throw that out the window.
Just try to keep it as close as you can. The more you go foward the more up elevon you need and that = speed lost.

2500 watts man it's a wonder the wings don't melt down.

The mega 16/25/3 is a great choice and to get it to go you really go you have to start with 4cells.
You man also want to play around with cutting down props.
On the crashed/next FJ I'll run the following
E-flite 2700 kv
45 amp esc
APC 6x5.5 cut to 5.5 to 5.25 depends on motor calc and static test.

I also like het motors as they will really turn and are a little cheaper. I had one on a Stryker. The HET-4 2200 kv. With the streamline package (check my gallery) it was a sweet ride until I lost it and someone beat me to the plane.

I'll post pics today on the new ideas and see what you think.

chippedprop 03-04-2008 10:12 AM

Check the e-flite 60amp esc very sweet and good product for the $
lussorocuztoms do you currently run it now?? (the 60 amp)
Hits and misses on it.
CP

Mr. Mugen 03-04-2008 11:17 AM

Well I still have a funjet new in box I have had here for a year or 2 now. I am minutes away from completeing my stryker build so I will be on to this one next. I am a big fan of the neu motors so I am thinging about going that wat this time. I went with a MEGA 16/25/2 on the stryker build. I have a few big esc's already but am unsure of which one I will run in this one.

More later,
Kevin

chippedprop 03-05-2008 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great news!! I found the old FJ pics
Even better news i think the old FJ can be repaired as you will see in the next set of pics.
Remember, I have flown this plane with a 4 cell 3300ma lipo and it drops right in.

Ready to fly with a 3 cell 2200 batt. -----20 oz.s
Fun Jet photos added to gallery also

chippedprop 03-05-2008 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I'm "remodeling too."
1- overall view and layout
2-side view
3-new exposed motor to improve cooling and prop bite=more speed- better performance
4-rear-ESC & motor--I will mount esc under the deck and place a scoop above to ram air around esc and exit in front of the motor
6-canopy -looking back--little larger canopy to start--for bigger batts.--may reduce height after testing

Have to patch the hole on the left front nose as the CF pushed thru. Will install 2 smaller tubes down the sides to replace the old 1 which I removed ( shattered)
I didn't look that close when it crashed as I was really mad and myself and the equipment. Now it's not really bad. Oh the rx wire was cut ??? I have to fix that --no problem there.