Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Newbie - Futaba or Hitec for buddy setup

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie - Futaba or Hitec for buddy setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:02 PM
mnadig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Futaba or Hitec for buddy setup

Hi,

I have a parkzone t28 that came with the stock radio that doesn't support a trainer cord. So, I'm looking to upgrade the radio to 2.5ghz with trainer support so that I can teach my kids to fly with a buddy setup. I've narrowed down my selection to the futaba 6ex and hitec optic 6. I'm not anticipating needing more than 6 channels - only using 4 right now . Seems the radios are similar enough. The cost of futaba w/ 1rx is about $200 and seems I can get the optic 6 w/ 2 RX for about the same price. Most of the reading I've done seems to point to hitec as a better value proposition whereas futuba is just more solid. I like the idea of hitecs omni directionaly antenna vs. the futaba where you have to correctly orient the 2 antennas for the rx.

Regardless, seems it is best to have the master/trainer be the same brand. Is that always the case? Basically I'd love a really inexpensive trainer with either box - seems they really don't make a pure trainer box.

So, I'm just looking for any insight. I'm sure some of this can boil down to preference. Thanks for your help.

Also, any good use for the old transmitter/rx from the parkzone? Is there any market for these on ebay, etc?

Mark
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Newbie - Futaba or Hitec for buddy setup

Both are great radios, in the end it's going to be which you are happier with. Handle them both, see which one is more comfortable for you. One that isn't is going to be, that just doesn't feel right to you for a while when first using it, and can be a distraction. See which one makes more sense to you programming wise.

Hitec and Futaba are pretty similar programming wise, but one may just feel better to you. JR/Spektrum use the same Asian based system, but a whole different way of doing it, and they can be a lot harder to program as some feel the programming in it just doesn't follow the same paths to get where you want to change something.

And if you want a real head banger look at Multiplex. It uses German logic vs Asian. Whole nother game, as you have to forget everything you learned on Asian radios.
But honestly It's a more precise way of doing things and once you get the hang of it you will wonder why you ever used an Asian radio. Might be why Hitec bought out Multiplex, to get their radio technology. And it's what I use now.

And if you aren't sure you are going to stay with the hobby maybe go used. 72 systems are going for cheap with folks switching to 2.4, and there are a lot of great ones now collecting dust. Also don't toss out the idea of a lower channel count 2.4 tx. You can pick up a brand new Spektrum 2.4, 5 channel for around $50.00, and it is trainer compatible. And used ones are even cheaper.
And ask around the hobby shops or flying clubs. They will know who got a new toy, and maybe the person will sell you his stuff cheap or give it away.

I just did. I was 72, bought into the 2.4 and didn't care for it, went back to 72 I gave away my JR/Spektrum tx and around a dozen receivers to one of my young club buds.

Best of luck on your choice.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Optic 6 is a much more feature rich radio.  I would get that one.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark, how is it going?  What did you do?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 AM
mnadig

Hi, thanks for checking up. I had decided on the optic w/ 2rx. However, that's all the further I've gotten. Work has dragged me away and am hopeful I'll be back at it this Spring.

Best,
Mark