Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

HZ Supercub flying help.

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

HZ Supercub flying help.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM
jrowles91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HZ Supercub flying help.

I just today bought my first plane (coming from electric on/off road vehicles), and I put everything together, plugged in the battery and tried to fly. The damn thing wouldn't stay off the ground! I tried runway starts, I tried throwing it, which is what the manual says to do. I would be giving it full up elevator and still couldn't maintain increased elevation. Best I got was about 15 feet before it would veer off and I'd hit the ground. I checked the battery as I didn't charge it (the guy I bought it from charged it) and it was at 9.01v (it's a 7 cell NiMh). To me that's full enough to be able to pull the plane off the ground. I'm going to try charging in the morning and give it another shot, but any advice here? Does it sound like something off or wrong? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 AM
nitromandh

Default RE: HZ Supercub flying help.

The same thing happened to me, and I realized I had the prop on backwards. The slot for the bolt should slide over the one that's closest to the motor. Let me know if that's the problem or not.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
jrowles91

Well I did break my prop and had the spare so I put that on and I did notice it only goes on one way, so if the first prop was on wrong I'll let you know a little later today. Chores first!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
jrowles91

It seemed to be a little better. Still pretty tough keeping it in the air. It sure doesn't like climbing very well.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
jrowles91

It seemed to be a little better. Still pretty tough keeping it in the air. It sure doesn't like climbing very well.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 AM
phillipmorris

You may try another replacement battery, also the motor may need to be replaced if it was run full power all the time, mine handled great just over half throttle and cruised for well over 250 flights. The norm is it will take off easily in over 20 feet off the pavement.. Hope your able to improve your flights, its an awsome starter ship.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you may be stalling the plane, trying to climb too fast or too soon.

Take-off from the ground should involve a long run out and a gradual climb.  A sudden up elevator will cause a stall and you will drop.

Hand launch has to be at full power and LEVEL.  Thow it up and you will stall and crash.

> Throwing up will make you sick - read from the first post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Sounds like you may be stalling the plane, trying to climb too fast or too soon.

Take-off from the ground should involve a long run out and a gradual climb. A sudden up elevator will cause a stall and you will drop.

Hand launch has to be at full power and LEVEL. Thow it up and you will stall and crash.

> Throwing up will make you sick - read from the first post
when i try taking off from the ground the plane always wants to go left. I can't get a god run with it.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to apply right rudder as you go down the runway, and don't apply any up elevator, let the plane lift on its own.

Not at all unusual. This is due to the torque of the prop I think. The power pilots call it the P factor.

If you practice on a simulator you get used to this.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Gamerjoe
My Feedback: (1)

I too just purchased and assembled a Super Cub as my very first RCplane. One thing Inoticed with my plane, which also may be the case with yours, is that the rudder and tail flaps needed a lot of adjusting before I flew it the first time. You have one clevis attached to the tail flaps, and that clevis can be adjusted by disconnecting it from the push rod and then turning the end of it clockwise or counter-clockwise until you see that the flaps are flat with the tail when your transmitter is powered on and the trim is set in the center. Do the same thing for your tail rudder as well.

My Super Cub also had a flaw, where the push rod on my tail rudder would pop loosein flight. My first flight was a scary one, because the plane would just go in circles until I could crash it down as softly as possible. Ifixed that issue by applying CA glue to the push rod fastener.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
jrowles91

Yeah I've adjusted the rods for both rudder and elevator. I just haven't had the chance to take it out again on lipo. I need to fix the wing placement. It's been crushed rearward.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 AM
JonU

ORIGINAL: aeajr

You need to apply right rudder as you go down the runway, and don't apply any up elevator, let the plane lift on its own.

Not at all unusual. This is due to the torque of the prop I think. The power pilots call it the P factor.

If you practice on a simulator you get used to this.
I believe that in addition to the torque, airflow over the plane will cause it to veer slightly. The air doesn't flow straight bad, it has a slight spiral to it which intern pushes against the rudder causing it to steer away from straight ahead. Could be wrong but id do remember reading something like this somewhere.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
M9cat

It sounds like your motor isn't turning enough KV...i would go back to the lipo with a minumum of 20c..upgrade the brushed motor to a brushless 400-480,and run a 10*6 prop...I use a 25c lipo, 450 brusless exceed rocket motor and 30amp esc with a 10*7 APC prop. after adjusting the diheidral  on the wings abit the plane screams with speed n climbing power..
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
jrowles91

Thanks for the tip but i actually sold the kit and am sticking to cars. Thanks though!