Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Easy Star, construction, flight report

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Multiplex Easy Star, construction, flight report

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 AM
gt5500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex Easy Star, construction, flight report

I am interested in getting an Easy star would anyone recommend going straight to a brushless system? I just think it makes sense to fit the best right from the start, I assume if going brushless its a good idea to run Lipo as well?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
jkkrobbins

I have not yet purchased anything brushless so I can't knock it. However, I would say that for the Easy Star, brushless would be overkill. You can run with the stock motor and propellor and a 2 cell 4000 mAh LiPo. This will run 30 minutes on full power. If you're going for height, the plane will be WAY up there within about 3 minutes. Like I said earlier, with throttle management and a few thermals, you'll be dead tired and ready to land before the battery drains down. So no need to put the money into the Easy Star. Put the brushless into another plane that really needs it!

A friend of mine put in a brushelss and a huge 3 blade prop and his Easy Star and it zips around quite fast. But I didn't buy the Easy Star for speed. I bought it for simplicity, ease of learning, crash durability, long flights, etc... For the cost of a brushless motor and esc, you can get several of the LiPo's I've mentioned. (Trust me, the "Chinese LiPo's" are fine due to the low discharge rate required.)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:04 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: jkkrobbins

I have not yet purchased anything brushless so I can't knock it. However, I would say that for the Easy Star, brushless would be overkill. You can run with the stock motor and propellor and a 2 cell 4000 mAh LiPo. This will run 30 minutes on full power. If you're going for height, the plane will be WAY up there within about 3 minutes. Like I said earlier, with throttle management and a few thermals, you'll be dead tired and ready to land before the battery drains down. So no need to put the money into the Easy Star. Put the brushless into another plane that really needs it!

A friend of mine put in a brushelss and a huge 3 blade prop and his Easy Star and it zips around quite fast. But I didn't buy the Easy Star for speed. I bought it for simplicity, ease of learning, crash durability, long flights, etc... For the cost of a brushless motor and esc, you can get several of the LiPo's I've mentioned. (Trust me, the "Chinese LiPo's" are fine due to the low discharge rate required.)
I think you are of the thinking that brushless is only used to make a plane really fast or powerfull, well that simply isn't true, most brushless motors come in different KV ratings so there is no reason it would have to make the plane faster or more powerful. The reason I was asking about fitting one is because they are more or less maintanence free and have much better run times.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
jkkrobbins

It's true what you say about brushless. Certainly you would get greater battery efficiency with a brushless motor in the Easy Star. While there's no downside to going brushless, I still say it would be overkill. Another thing to think about is the cost of the stock motor. I bought a couple for $5 each. Recently, I ordered 5 for $12. Yes, the brushes burn out every few months with very heavy use. Replacement is no problem but brings to light the one area for improvement with the Easy Star - the way the motor is mounted. To replace the motor, you have to cut the halves apart, glue the new motor in, and resolder, etc... (Though I have seen postings where folks have built hatches and other means to make the motor even more accessible.)

That said, I couldn't be happier with the Easy Star, using the stock motor and propellor with a 2 cell 4000 mAh LiPo. I will be purchasing brushless stuff at some point in the future. But I'll be putting in the Hobbico Super Star. That plane needs it much more, as the run times are low with the stock NiCD batteries and only improved slightly with NiMh. The LiPo brushless upgrade would buy me much more in that plane.

Again, absolutely nothing wrong with putting brushless in the Easy Star. Only dollars. I'm saying upgrade something that needs it more. The Easy Star is such a sweet plane as it is that my humble opinion is that brushless is not required.

Try it with the stock motor and a 2 cell LiPo (like I said, 4000 mAh and it should still be tail heavy). You can always upgrade. I think you'll be very impressed.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
mxerman

You are correct about the EZ flying OK on the brushed setup but...... Brushless does help. Gaining altitude is quicker, the ability to fly in wind is increased, and run time is longer. That said the cost may be the worst thing for a newbe to flying. A brushless with LiPo will run up about a $100 bill quick. Either way its a great airplane. Enjoy... mxerman
Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
tekajo

I have just finished an easystar with a ten dollar 1750 kv BP 21 brushless and 25.00 speed control. I will be running a 2s lipo. I hope to run this weekend if not to cold and windy. I will be teaching my eight year old son to fly. Should be fun. Will get back with flight report.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM
ARD

New to the forum. I am interested in the Easy Star to learn on. I have a 6 channel Futaba digital computer radio, receiver and servos that I purchased from someone who was quiting. (Purchased one RTF plane w/all equip, and a plane kit and said radio still unopened. Gas planes.) I am thinking that the receiver and servos may be to heavy for the Easy Star.

Should I buy the smaller, lighter receiver and servos? As I am retired and on alimited income I will never move to the expensive side of this hobby, so any suggestions that will keep my expenses down would be appreciated.

There is a gas club about 18 miles from home that I will hook up with, but I do have sufficient flying area a few blocks from home.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Ard
Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 AM
pete_486

hi ard the full size receiver will be fine but the servo's are way to big and you can buy two servo's for less than a receiver

cheers pete
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM
geoffrs

Hi all,

Having never flown RC planes before, could I learn to fly the Easy Star by myself, or would I need someone to help train me?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
jkkrobbins

You can learn yourself. Just toss it into the wind a few times and practice landing it. Then add a little power. Eventually, you'll be able to fly a lap in an open area. You might hose a landing or two but you won't ruin the plane.

With a very minimal amount of assistance from an experienced pilot, you'll be cruising in no time.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:20 PM
jkkrobbins

tejako - can you post the link or tell me where to get the $10 brushless motor?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:15 AM
bluemax50

Found the one weak point with the easy star for a no nothing newbie like me. Took the easy star out for it's maiden flight and got it to do one complete 360 and boom!!! The stock
Gonther prop just broke into 2 pieces!! Figured no problem go down to my local hobby store for a new prop and get told. " Shouldn't have bought a pusher, no one stocks pusher props" .So here I am with my brand new Easystar and no prop. Ended up ordering 4 from Tower Hobbies which means I'm down for at least 2 weeks because of the incredablly slow shipping to the East coast (Western Massachusetts). I'm really surprised how propriatary this plane is when is comes to finding replacement props . Bought the Easy Star beacause of the precieved protection the pusher prop would have bring away from the front of the plane and the prop just breaks in half with no help from the ground. Anyone no of any easilly obtainable replacement props for the easystar besides the generic ones Tower is selling as replacements??? Just bought a slow stick in order to have something to fly why I wait out the two weeks for the new prop at least if I crash this parts are available locally
Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM
jkkrobbins

Found a bundle of 25 on ebay once for about $1 per prop.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:23 AM
gerald_clark

It is not a pusher prop. The motor direction is refersed, and the prop is mounted backwards on the motor compared to a puller configuration.

Try an APC 6x4E if you can't find an original.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Ctreble

I'm new to RC flight and i thought i would be able to handle a more intermediate model. I got the "mixmaster" from tower and found out the hard way how it's cheep foam construction held up to a few failed takeoffs. Lets just say I'm less one model and plus two brushless outrunners w/ speed controllers a 3cell 2200mAh Li-po w/ charger five HS-81 equivalent servos and a radio receiver set. Ok bla bla bla I know, But I wanted to use what I had in a trainer so I went with the Easy Star kit and built it from the ground up with my supped up gear. The build was easy enough and the results are spectacular. I haven't had the pleasure of flying a stock Easy Star but from what Ive heard it can struggle going up wind and has a limited flight time. The Li-po Brushless combo gives me loops, hammerheads, and inverted flight at half power. I also have 30+min flights (I haven't had a chance to time them.) The only modification I made to the model is an enlarged rudder.

Anyone out there with similar results?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM
jkkrobbins

The Easy Star totally rocks. I started with the Hobbico Superstar EP a couple years ago. Having never flown, it took about 10 seconds to turn it into splinters. After a few lessons and dollars spent, I can fly it, but a friend suggested the Easy Star to learn on before going back to a traditional trainer.

I bought the Easy Star kit and went with 7 cell 1100 mAh NiMh packs. With no help, I started flying immediately. It took a few bad landings and smacking into things to get the feel of it but the plane survived. With the help of a little CA glue, I was always back in the air minutes after a crash. I started flying higher and higher and eventually learned to let the thermals do the work. However, the battery packs were wearing out before I was ready to land. Shortly thereafter, I bought a couple of 2 cell 4000 LiPo packs for $35 each from China. On a hot Texas summer day, I had no problem staying in the air over an hour. My longest flight was about an hour and 45 minutes.

Almost 2 years later, and this plane still flies great. In fact, it's probably comprised of more CA glue now than foam but it flies beautifully. Still using the stock motor. I've considered putting a brushless in it but really don't see the point, considering the long flight times.

I have no qualms about giving the stick to kids and letting them take a spin. I've taught a few to fly this way. Just give them the stick, and let them crash and learn. A little more CA, and back in the air she goes.

I've flown other planes and have not seen a plane that's better for a beginner to learn and build confidence. The durability to withstand crashes is a huge plus. Also, it handles wind better than I thought. I've flown in winds up to 15 MPH. I like pointing the plane into the wind and letting it basically hover.

The only negative, if you would call it that, is that the stock motor, even with a LiPo, does not provide excessive speed or climb rate. But that's not an issue at all for me. The durability and stability more than make up for this.

On days when I have just a few spare minutes, I can grab the Easy Star and get in a quick flight when the other planes sit on the shelf. The Easy Star couldn't be easier to transport, get flight ready, and taken apart to take back home.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:38 PM
rcpilotny

jkkrobbins link me to the lipos and charger you use, to get a 45 min flight time. I will buy them for sure for my easystar!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
jkkrobbins

rcsmart.com
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
F-86

HERE'S MY FLIGHT (and crash) REPORTS FOR THE EASYSTAR:

First thing I'd say is NEVER NEVER fly this plane in anything but the calmest conditions. Any decent breeze will cause you great difficulty in turning up wind. It will want to stall, even at highest RPM.
The motor although a good one, is not powerful enough to over come a good gust. Control response for this rudder only plane (in wind) is quite sluggish.

Flying in calm conditions; this plane is great!

Here's the crash report:

While flying in fairly calm conditions, with no trouble, a good steady wind picked up, (as they do in canyon areas of California), and this baby went nose high to stall, I corrected, changing course with the wind , and went to circle around to land. On making my turn back into the wind, (anticipating wind, I increased throttle slightly, and nosed it down slightly), again she lurched up with wind and I had no recourse but to head around again. She blew real far out. I tried to bring her around again, got inverted, and disoriented due to distance, and boom.

Battery came thru the nose. Nose in 4 pieces, and tweaked.

Repair report:

You'll need CA glue , and ABSOLUTLEY some kicker spray. (The CA will NOT work without it on this elapor foam.)

Piece by pice I bent it shaped it, and glued it back to a not perfect, but flyable condition. This plane can take it!

Remember; CALM CONDITIONS ONLY!!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 AM
jkkrobbins

I used to say the same thing about only flying the Easy Star on the calmest days. When I first started, a similar thing happened. I was trying to land with the plane downwind from me and I couldn't quite bring it back. It stalled and crashed but with some CA glue, it's still flying now 18 months and over 100 flights later.

Over the next couple of months I got braver and started taking it higher and higher and further out. On an almost calm day, I had it several hundred yards upwind and pointed into the wind. A storm started blowing in and soon this gentle breeze was 15 MPH plus. The plane turned around and flew quickly downwind and over my head. I got it pointed back into the wind toward me and tried to power it against the wind. The same thing happened - stall, and it even turned away and started flying further away and down wind. Luckily, the plane was about 1000 feet high so I tried something different. I turned the throttle off. I knew I would need to save the battery so I simply put it in a shallow dive which provided the forward progress needed and was much more effective than trying to power against the wind.

I've since flown in 15 MPH winds many times. Having the LiPo makes a difference. More run time and it turns the motor a little faster. It's fun getting the plane to hover in the wind. And the head wind makes for a real easy landing and enables landing on a smaller target.

I've also added some weight to the nose. Even when the plane seemed balanced, I noticed the same tendency for it to nose up.

Keep flying. I think with more experience you'll find that it handles the wind better than you'd expect. Eventually you may crash and destroy the foam but it's only about $50 for a new kit.

But I do agree 100% about trying to use the motor to fight the wind. The more power you give it, the more it wants to climb and just stall, as well as make it easier to turn aound and start going down wind. (Thus the nose weight I added) Throttle off and down elevator works much better. Just get it high and pretty far out and keep it up wind. Don't let it get down wind until you get some serious altitude. This will also help with the disorientation thing. With ample height, you'll see how the plane reacts to stick movements and have more time to adjust. I started off wanting to keep the plane lower but eventually learned to let it soar and let the altitude be a friend.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 AM
F-86

Thanks for the tips. Points well taken. Cheers.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 AM
pvt.parts_usmc

hi, i recently bought a EZ* and im pleased with the performance, i just have mine taped together because i like experimenting with differant motors, i also put the receiver in one of the little molded compartments "inside" the fuse so i have more room in battery compartment. i recently had a "Push-e cat" that i lost in a hat sucking thermal awhile back , and in my opinon the EZ* flys just as will as it did. however i think the PEC is a "tougher" plane with its extreme strapping taped EPP. but the EZ* elapor foam stands up to occasional hard landings quiet will. im really enjoying my EZ*
Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
me 02

This is for Aman 74!

In relation to your problem with sensitive ears,
let me suggest an alternative. Instead of hand launchng
the plane..why noy build a ramp and launch it from the
ground? You can easily find plans to do this. Surgical
tubing is the power used to launch it off the ramp. Let
me know what you think.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 PM
me 02

This is for Aman 74!

In relation to your problem with sensitive ears,
let me suggest an alternative. Instead of hand launchng
the plane..why noy build a ramp and launch it from the
ground? You can easily find plans to do this. Surgical
tubing is the power used to launch it off the ramp. Let
me know what you think.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
pvt.parts_usmc

yeah, like he said, to find out more just google "bungee launchers" , all kinds info on how to build one thats cheap and easy, im gonna make one too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.