Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help understanding gearbox

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help understanding gearbox

Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 AM
esgroff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help understanding gearbox

Please help. I am new to electrics and am having problems figuring out some of the basics regarding gears and ratios.

I am working a project that calls for the gws eps-350c motor with a DS Gear ratio of 6.6:1. Also recommended is a GWS 12X6 prop, 9.6V NiMh batteries. The problem is, I need to substitute with a CS Gear ratio which is 5.33:1. If I understand this right this will spin my prop faster and draw more current maybe even too much.

Can I use the CS Gear ratio as a substitute or do I also need to change the Prop size?

When I look at the specs on this motor a 12X6 prop isn?t even listed as an option?

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help understanding gearbox

Sounds to me like you've got the understanding part down pretty well already.

You are correct in that by going from 6.6:1 to 5.33:1, you will increase the current draw. You'll need to drop off by a prop size, from 12x6 to 11x7 or 11x6 to keep the current reasonable.