Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

SS help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Mastermind4274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS help please

I finally recieved my SS today. I realized that the connecter of the charger I own is a bigger one then the battery that came with the flight pack. Is it safe to connect them anyway. Another question I have is if the positive should be with the positive or if the positive should be with negative when connecting the servos to the reciever.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: SS help please

The connectors MUST match up perfectly, so if they are different brands/sizes you'll need to make up a connecting wire link between the charger plug and the battery plug. On one end of your short connecting wires (+ and - strands), you'll need a new connector matched to fit into the plug that's already on the charger: on the other end you'll need the other type of connector to match the one which came with your battery.

I can't quite figure out your question about servos and the receiver: the three strand leads from the servos plug into Channels 1 and 2 on the receiver so that the + (usually red) wire goes to the + pin on the Rx, the - (usually brown) wire goes to the - pin on the Rx, and the signal wire (usually yellow or orange) goes to the S pin on the Rx.

The 3-strand lead from the ESC plugs into Channel 3 [=throttle]. The battery will connect to the leads at same end of the ESC that this throttle lead comes off. The other two leads (+ and -) from the other end of the ESC go to the motor.

ALWAYS turn on the transmitter before connecting up the battery; ALWAYS disconnect the battery before turning off the transmitter.

TX is always FIRST ON, LAST OFF.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Phil
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Mastermind4274

Thanks, but are adapters available to connect the different connecters?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

What charger do you own?

You'll have to make up an adapter yourself. There are so many connectors out there that it's impossible to predict what you have and what you need, and including them all would make the price go WAY up
Old 01-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Mastermind4274

and how exactly do I make an adapter?
Old 01-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Mastermind4274

never mind i did it myself
Old 01-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Mastermind4274

Before I go out to fly for the first time: The wheels on my SS barely move, and I'd like to take off from the ground rather than hand launching it. Any suggestions?[sm=confused.gif]

Oh, one more thing, I am looking to get a second battery and instead of getting another crappy one like the one that came with the SS flight pack I'd like to get one that could give me a lot longer flight times.

-Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Dr Kiwi

If your wheels are tight on the axles, you need to drill out the hubs a bit, until they spin freely. These are much better wheels for a Slow Stick: http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=829

You should get a 7-cell KAN 650 or 1050 pack - that will provide everything your SS motor could want!

Cheers, Phil
Old 01-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Mastermind4274

Thanks, is "KAN" a brand or a type of battery?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Dr Kiwi

Check KAN's out here:

http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/packs...ssion_id=54139

Cheers, phil
Old 01-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Mastermind4274

Would the "8 cell KAN 1050" be a good choice. Will it work with the ESC that came with thte flight pack and the stock motor? I am sorry if I am asking too many questions.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Asking too many questions? Phooey! That's what this forum is here for.

The 8-cell KAN1050 pack will work fine, but I personally would use an 8-cell KAN650 pack. Much lighter. You'll still get 10+ minute flights. The plane will be easier to fly, and more responsive. Crash damage will be less severe.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Mastermind4274

Okay, I'll take your word for it. But I have one last question, I bought the hitec cg-340 charger (you recomemded it in your Good First Planes thread) it says that I need a 12 volt DC power source. Am I supposed to connect it to a wall outlet, if so HOW? The alligator cord like connecters don't look like than can connect to any battery I know of. (I am only 13 years old)
Old 01-31-2004, 12:12 AM
Dr Kiwi

No, no, no - wall outlet voltage is 120v - you'll kill yourself playing with that! You can run your charger from a 12v source, such as a car battery - that's what the alligator clips are for. The best way to do it is to get from your local Radio Shack a "dedicated DC power transformer" which will supply ~13.8v. If you can, get one with about 10A capability - it may cost you $50 - but it will serve all your needs for years to come. There are some with ~3A capacity, but they are not much cheaper, and if you get some bigger packs in the future, 3A is not going to be enough.

Cheers, Phil
Old 01-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Mastermind4274

I'd rather not have to pay another $50. Can I connect it to the car and let it charge? Is there another way?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:06 AM
Dr Kiwi

Yes, you could connect it to your Dad's car battery, or, with an adapter, plug it into the power/cigarette lighter socket in the car - but I'm not sure you would be too popular! Do you play any sports (soccer/basketball etc) where you need to inflate balls - ask your Dad to go to Lowe's and buy a 12v power pack/inflator/flashlight unit - then you'll be set for sports (and your Dad will be able to keep his tires at the correct pressure), you'll have an emergency lighting kit for when the power goes out, and you'll have a source of 12v power to charge your flight batteries. Hey, Valentine's Day is coming up - get him to buy this piece of equipment for your Mum - ooops! no, don't ask him to do that! I bought my wife a vacuum cleaner for Xmas some years ago and she's never forgiven me - I do all the vacuuming now!

Cheers, Phil
Old 01-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Mastermind4274

I didn't acually plan on connecting it to the car battery but getting an adapter for the cigarette lighter is a great idea. Do you know where I could get one?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Mastermind,

Here is the link for a terrific book called "Getting Started in Backyard Flying." It will help you out immensely.

http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/de...2028&catego=BO

Also, you might subscribe to Backyard Flyer magazine. They have all sorts of basic article.

And then, there is this forum.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:09 AM
DanaWatson

Changing connectors is not as hard as it may sound. It like a reverse vasectomy: A little snip, snip... A little solder, solder... Then just let the juice flow, my friend! You are now open for business! Hey, I like that. I'm going to make that my analogy of the week.

Dana
Old 02-08-2004, 02:22 PM
csisfun

Woah! Don't talk vasectomy to a child!

LOL Actually I'm only 13 (14 this year) HA HA HA HA

I think the most versatile connector you can buy is those that have pins sticking out. They charge any battery with any connector...

I charge my Tx battery (using a Deans connector), Rx battery (3 pin), and of course parkflier batteries (JST) with one connector!

Hmm... I'm gonna go buy a CG340. Buy a lead acid battery! They are cheap... a 7A 12V one costs $24 or so...