Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help Me Stop Breaking Props

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help Me Stop Breaking Props

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 01:49 AM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Stop Breaking Props

I'm new to electric flight, I have tried to fly small speed 400 airplanes, but when it's time to land The prop always seams to break.
I've been using the orange props, I expect if I use folding props they should not break when I land. Is there some secret to this. when flying gas I always set up so the prop would be horizontal when the engine stopped. What do you do for electric. If you can help, please do.

THANKS
Old 02-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help Me Stop Breaking Props

Folding props are the answer!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Dr Kiwi

With the larger props on geared motors, you can use a prop saver, but probably not if you are using a Speed 400, direct drive with a tiny prop.

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-29-2004, 12:45 PM
shams42
My Feedback: (1)

You could try disabling your brake on your ESC, if you are using one. I've smacked my props a few times now on landing and haven't broken one yet.

Matt
Old 02-29-2004, 11:27 PM
propjobbill

Hi Jim, Phil, and Matt,
First I have several folding props on the way, Concerning the prop saver I have seen those listed. at Balsa Products, http://www.balsapr.com/common/search...ductId=T037976 they have a prop saver listed there. I really don't understand how those work. Some of the props were broke because the plane sagged out and touched the ground while running. I added another battery to the pack and gave the plane a little more toss, and that solved that problem. But when the plane lands if the prop is up and down it either breaks the prop, or if I use a heavy prop that is not easily broken it bends the motor shaft. Even if I cut the power the plane has a 50/50 chance the prop will be vertical. I was using small direct drive props. I can't afford to keep flying if every landing is $2-$3 for anew prop. Not that can't afford to buy the props but there must be a better solution than that
I don't know if a prop saver will help in this situation, because I don't know how they work.
Concerning turning off the brake I don't know how to do that. And as I said I am new to Electric planes. I started flying in 1966 but I have only recently begin flying again and electric is total new to me.
Thanks for the help any further help or comments will be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

A prop saver is a very simple device that bolts on the motor shaft in place of the prop. The shaft is then cut short so it barely enters the hub of the prop. You install the prop on top of the prop saver, then stretch a small rubber band or O-ring over the propeller to hold it against the prop saver. When you hit the ground the theory is that the rubber will stretch a bit and allow the prop to flex instead of breaking. The key is getting the right about of stretch. Too little, and the prop will come off in flight. Too much, and it's just as bad as bolting the prop directly on the prop shaft.

That said, prop savers on anything but small park fliers (Speed 300 and smaller) won't work very well. The bigger planes develop more thrust, more power, and need a stronger rubber band to hold the props on. Problem is, the rubber band is too strong to let the prop flex on hard landings.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
propjobbill

Thanks Matt,
I understand how the prop saver works now. I use rubber bands to attach 1/2a motors to control line trainers so when a new flier makes a hard landing the motor will pop lose. They prop may get broken but not a damaged crank shaft.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:58 PM
sledge4055

i bought 4 of the orange gws props for my slowstick broke every one .. before i bought more i asked if there was a way to keep them from braking at the shop they told me just to use medium CA and the spray activator to glue them back together well the glue and activator cost me 8 bucks but hey im still useing all 4 of those props every time i break one i just glue it back together if the ca builds up to the point it becomes to thick just use an old exacto blade and chip of as much as you can and glue it back to gether again .. trust me i didnt belive it my self .. but hey it works like a champ if id have had to buy a new prop every time i broke one ide have spent enough to have been able to buy a whole nother plane. poss ibly two.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

Heres an idea put a damn cross brace between your wheels.

Keeps the landing gear from doing the splits and whacking the prop.

Broke one prop on my slow stick- collision with the rear door of my RAV4

Have over 20 flights on the second prop