Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Electic Gliders

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:09 PM
ice machine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electic Gliders

I have just bought an electric glider, and need advice on how to launch it. Do I need to put any power on when launching for a test flight? The glider is an EarlyBird glider with bent wings.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Electic Gliders

With most planes, you don't want to do test glides. You'd get the same result by driving over the plane with your car The problem is, you usually can't throw the plane with enough force to get it up to flying speed. It needs the thrust from the motor to accelerate it.

It's not such an issue with a glider, though. Many gliders will fly a long way on a good throw. You may want to get yourself a "runner," a friend who can run into the wind carrying the plane, and then simply let go when he/she feels the plane trying to fly out of his/her hands. Once you get the plane trimmed and you're used to flying it, you can start hand-chucking.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:17 AM
sierra gold

Nothing beats a good visual check that the control surfaces are neutral and that the wing has no unintended warps. Double check the CG.

2 meter and smaller gliders can be test glided quite successfully. Finding a small gradual slope (10-15 feet) also helps. A grassy area for landing is nice.

If you're an experienced pilot, throwing by yourself should work. If a new pilot, definitely seek a friend to toss it. Firm, level throw into the wind.

Make trim adjustments as indicated by the test glide and try it one more time.

Sierra Gold
Old 03-13-2004, 12:50 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What do the instructions in the manual tell you to do?

I have two 2 meter pure sailplanes and I always test throw them before I fly them.

I am just finishing a 3 meter sailplane set-up and I will test throw that as well. Other pilots at our field hand throw their 3 meter planes. Some get a good 100 foot circle after the throw.

No motor in any of these though.

My friend has a two meter motor glider and he hand throws it with the motor off, but he gives it a strong throw after about 3 step. Definately into the wind and at the straight and level. Glides out nicely.

It is going to glide in. Unless it is going to come in VERY fast, it should be able to glide from a strong hand throw.