Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Stock Formosa Power Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Stock Formosa Power Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:32 AM
beberle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Formosa Power Problems

Ugh! I'm running the stock 350c formosa engine with a 7-cell NiMH and ICS-300 ESC. It flew reasonably well once or twice, but now it seems like I've lost some power. I barely have enough power to stay airborne. What could be wrong? I''m using a 9x4.7 gws prop. Tried the larger 10x7 prop included, but didn't help.
Am I encountering basic 'newbie' issues? I've heard of 'timing' the motor and considered upgrading to an 8-cell, but it seems like I have a more basic problem...
This is my 1st 4-channel plane and I'm loving it! Can't wait to get the bugs worked out ;-)
Old 04-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Stock Formosa Power Problems

"A 7-cell NiMH?" You'll need to be a bit more specific. The reason I say this is because my first instinct is to suspect the battery. What brand? What capacity?

There are many things that can go wrong with the battery. You could be charging the battery too fast, which would cause it to not take a full charge. A battery too small to handle the current being drawn by the motor will sustain serious damage after a couple of flights. There's always "infant mortality," where one or more cells fail when the pack is still fairly new.

Charge the pack up on a good peak-detect charger at a rate no more than the battery's capacity in mAh. 700mAh pack should be charged at .7 Amps, for example. Measure voltage hot off the charger. Let it sit overnight. Measure the voltage again. It should drop some, but not below about 8.8 Volts or so.

The other possibility is that the motor has gone south. Remeber that these are mass-produced motors that we're pushing far beyond their original design limits. They're meant to run a hair dryer fan at 6 Volts and 2 Amps, not fly an airplane at 9.6 Volts and 10 Amps. You're going to see an occasional early failure.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:23 AM
beberle

Default RE: Stock Formosa Power Problems

I've 'teethed' on the Wingo park flyer and didn't expect problems w/ the Formosa, but this electric stuff is complicated ;-)
My battery packs (I have two) are 730mah/8.4v GWS? and I use a Triton charger usually set to 'auto'. It'll charge around .4amps. I've done manually at .7amp before.
I think my ESC is rated for 8amps continuous/15amps max. Is that large enough? What brushed motor would be a good replacement?

Thanks