Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

WOOHOOOO!!! 5th flights a charm !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

WOOHOOOO!!! 5th flights a charm !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Cappy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOOHOOOO!!! 5th flights a charm !!!

Hi, I just wanted to post this because I am so excited. Just bought an Aerobird Extreme a week ago to get my feet wet on RC planes ( I always wanted to do it) and let me tell you, up until this evening it hasn't been pretty. First four flights resulted in some MAJOR crashes The first of which totally shredded the wing. So off to the hobby shop I went.....bought 2 just in case. The other 3 crashes cracked the windshield/battery cover, split the lower front of the fuselage, caved the motor in (which I fixed from a tip on this board along with making a custom full size motor mount. So far nothing has put it out of commission yet, thankfully as my wife wasn't too happy about the fact that I just bought it and I proceeded to mess it up pretty bad . Any way today was a total success 10 minutes in the air and never once did I lose control and panic. One time I DID misjudge its orientation but I was able to quickly identify it and make my adjustments. Time for the landing.....this is the part that really gets me shaky . Lowered power to the motor until my altitude was lower, brought it in for the approach, lowered the power more. Once I was lined up and the wings were leveled and I was only a couple feet off the ground I killed the engine and crossed my fingers. Right before I was about to touch down I gave it a bit of up elevator to flare the plane a bit ( I probably didn't need to do it with this plane, but I figured it was good practice and a good habit to get into). Touchdown.....came in like a feather.....yipeee!!. It would have been perfect, but the wheels don't seem to serve much purpose on the plane other than for storing so when it landed the wheels caught the grass and the plane just tipped forward gently. All in all this was my absolute best flight and I'm so proud and stoked . I owe some of the credit, I think, to Aerofly Pro which I got to practice with and have been flying with it every chance I had. Sorry for the rant, but I am so excited. Up until today I was getting a bit discouraged.....not any more Practice makes perfect !!!!

Thanks,

Adam
Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 PM
EvolPenguin

Default RE: WOOHOOOO!!! 5th flights a charm !!!

You should be excited . If you are having fun flying, don't let anything get you down (pun intended). Stay calm when you fly. Also, welcome! Hope you have fun here. Keep posting updates of your flights, i wanna hear about the Xtreme from a newb's point of view.

Alex
Old 04-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Cappy69

Will do.....and thanks

Adam
Old 05-01-2004, 01:26 AM
cadd

Hey I share your fun and pain! I have one ABC I call frankenstien. I have wrecked it so many times I have lost count. It has a yellow commander wing and a silver challenger tail but dang it still fly,s. Got it down pretty good now so I got a new ABC but i still try my first time stunts with old frakenstien. You should have seen my wife when I flew it into the open window of my ford explorer . Ripped the wings off thats how i eneded up with a firedbird commander wing on it. They didnt have the ABC wing in stock! But i can say it worked fine. Keep up the fun I know iI have a blast every morning flying down here in florida!
Cadd
Old 05-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Cappy69

Flew it into an open window of your Explorer !!! hehehe....that's funny.....I'm sure not at the time though . I havent got up the experience (or courage) to try any stunts yet....but that will come. I'm having a blast though

Adam
Old 05-03-2004, 03:05 PM
cadd

Just a quick line to see how your flying is going? Been flying every morning even in pretty strong winds. I wonder if the Extreme would handle wind better. More power for engine but more area for wind to grab to. Maybe in the future I will have to try that plane out. I am thinking about getting a front prop plane also. Looked at at the dragon fly super aviator but not sure those radio parts are interchangeable? I know for my next plane I want radio parts I can use in other planes BUT I really am not into the modeling thing so I want it simple construction as possible.

Cadd
Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Cappy69

Hi cadd,

Been doin ok......seem like the day following the good flights was a bit of a regression 4 times in the air.....resulting in 3 crashes. Once I almost lost it in the ajoining woods, but recovered it without damage. It clipped the top of the highest tree...I thought I was going to have to play monkey boy....but it made it to the ground safefly . The other 2 crashes were because the wind picked up a bit .....both times in a fairly steep turn, the wind caught a wing and sent it into a 75 foot death spiral straight into the ground and was unable to recover from it. Did some pretty major damage. I'm in the process of doing repairs now but I'm almost poitive it will be flying another day I just cringed when I saw pieces fly off the plane when it hit the ground like a lawn dart

But to answer you ???, It does handle the breeze ok. I was flying successfully that day with a gusty 10-15 mph breeze. It was a bit unerving for a bigginner but I was doing ok until a stiffer breeze cuase the crashes. It is really faily nimble in the air considering what it really is. I've been having a blast....even with the mishaps. I will be flying for a long time....I always wanted to . The tree thing was my fault.....just a bit of misjudgement on my part .

I just joined the AMA so I can join one of the RC clubs a get a bit of pro instruction....it can't hurt

Have you checked out the Hobbico NexStar select?? seems like a pretty awesome first "Real" plane....think that is what I am going for eventually, but I want a little instruction so I don't pound that into oblivion
Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
cadd

Hey I think that plane you have right now is a REAL plane for sure . I think I would be repairing my ford if I would have hit it with that plane! Dont worry about the crashes they come with the turf. I still have my original aerobird I call frankenstien that I try my new stunts with but I have a new one that I pride myself in keeping really nice. (I know one day that will end hehe) The other day I had a few birds playing tag with me in the air that was great. Ya I know that sinking feeling of seein your plane auger in from high altitude! First day I flew frankenstien thats what happened. I still remember the cruching sound. I never did find my landing gear. Well keep your spirits up. And I now rubberband my landing gear to the same post as the wing one on each side so I dont loose it. I also painted my propeller bright orange so its easy to find. Seems like things fall off old frank real easy. Talk at you later.