Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Some VERY basic Newbie Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Some VERY basic Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:46 PM
deeman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some VERY basic Newbie Questions

My friend and I are getting into this sport and trying like heck to learn all the basics. We have scoured this and other boards and are still scratching our heads on a couple things. Here we go....

1) Batteries - NiMh batteries are sold as 2/3A and 2/3AA, ect. What does the 2/3A mean?

2) We both have a T-Hawk and really enjoy it! The plane can accept several different batteries including 8.4V 900mAh packs and 8.4 600MaH and I am sure there are others, and a lot of recommendations for the 1050 KAN's on this site. How do the voltage and amperage affect run time and ?? I always thougt amps were the raw power avail. and I am not sure about what changes as you change the voltage of the batteries

3) I know what 3D planes are capable - very cool hovering, etc. but what 3D mean in 3D planes?

4) One of my batteries is the 900mAh batteries direct from ToyTronix. It specifically states to charge this for 4 hours. The charger is a 300mAh charger - shouldn't I just charge it for 3 hours?

I guess that is it. This has been a very helpful board!

Mike
Old 05-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some VERY basic Newbie Questions

Hey, that's why you're allowed to post: To ask questions when you don't understand something!

1. That's the size. Same size standard as the alkalines in your TV remote and the flashlight you keep by your bed. 2/3AA is a cell with the same diameter as a AA, but only 2/3 as long, for example. There's also an A cell, which is somewhat larger in diameter than a AA.

2. Volts and Amps have quite a complicated relationship. Multiplied together, they determine the total power available, Watts. Increase the Volts by adding a cell to the battery, or increase the prop load to draw more Amps, and you get more power to fly the plane.

Amps are what determine run time. Draw more Amps, get shorter flights. That's why batteries are rated in terms of milliAmp-hours, or mAh. Divide the capacity of the battery by your average Amps during the flight to get a rough idea of run time in hours. Don't forget to convert units, though.

One weird relationship is, when you increase Volts and don't change anything else, Amps also increase. That's why you'll often see people reducing the size of their props when increasing the voltage in their batteries. It's to keep the Amps the same to maintain the same run time, and/or keep the Amps below the maximum capacities of the motor, speed control and battery.

3. 3D is a "buzzword" that simply describes extreme, high-G aerobatics where the plane's wing is basically in a stalled state for extended periods of time. The plane remains in the air solely on the thrust of the propeller instead of the lift from the wings.

4. Oooh, you did your homework! What you missed are losses. Charging isn't 100% efficient, and in fact is far from it. The extra hour is to make up for losses during the first three. It's overkill, and in the long run may do some slight damage to the battery. If you want, you can feel the pack periodically to see if it's getting warm. When the battery feels warm, it's charged and ready to go. Another option is to get yourself a peak detect charger with adjustable current. You can cut your charge time down to 30 minutes, and the charger automatically detects when the battery pack is full.