Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Servo/receiver hookup problem

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Servo/receiver hookup problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 07:36 PM
hokie77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo/receiver hookup problem

O.K., I can't figure out what I did wrong. I'm assembling a Superstar EP plane and my radio equipment includes a Hitec 555 receiver, 2 Hitec HS-322 standard servos, and a Hitec Laser 4 transmitter. I have the rudder servo hooked to receiver channel 1, elevator to channel 2, and the ESC to channel 3. When I turn everything on and move the controls, the elevator and rudder movements are opposite from what they should be. I move the right stick to the right and rudder moves to the left; I move the right stick down and the elevator moves down. When I switched the elevator servo to channel 1 and the rudder servo to channel 2, of course everything was wrong (moving right stick left and right moved elevator up and down, etc. I know I can fix this by servo reversing on the radio, but I still can't figure out what, if anything, I did wrong. This plane only has elevator and rudder control..... no ailerons. I haven't tried to operate the motor, yet. Is channel 3 the correct location on the receiver for the ESC? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:59 PM
crashingagain

Default RE: Servo/receiver hookup problem

You didnt do anything wrong. Everything was hooked up right with ch 3 being throttle and 2 being elevator. Like you said, you can fix it by reversing the servo switches in the transmitter battery compartment. Do that.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You didn't do anything wrong. There is no law saying you can't use the servo reverse feature of your transmitter, and no technical reason not to. In fact, that's precisely why it's there. You won't even "lose points" with the guys at the field for using servo reverse to get everything functioning properly.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:28 AM
hokie77

I appreciate the responses. Apparently if I had used Futaba servos with the pushrods connected to the outboard arms, I would not have had to reverse servos on the Tx. Is this true, that is, is the direction opposite from Hitec servos? Very strange.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yes, Hitec and Futaba servos rotate in opposite directions as a general rule, and no it's not strange at all. There is no industry standard dictating which direction the servos are supposed to turn.

With the Hitec servos, if you connect the pushrods to the inner arms, they will work without having to resort to servo reversing. HOWEVER, if you're that uptight, you really need to find a different hobby. This one will just drive you to the looney bin.

Just flip the switches and be happy, okay?