Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Devcon Blue Threadlocker

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Devcon Blue Threadlocker

Old 06-08-2004, 12:40 PM
AndreyT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Devcon Blue Threadlocker

Hello

I'm trying to use Devcon Blue Threadlocker bought at LHS to secure the prop nut on my Zagi. The product label says that working time for this threadlocker is 10 minutes, handling time is 1 hour, and that it shoud cure in 3 hours. I applied it at 10pm yesterday and this morning at 10am it is still in liquid state. Frankly, I can't see any difference in viscosity between the stuff on my prop nut and the stuff in the original tube. If I turn the motor on the blue stuff will just start flying around. Could anyone please explain what's going on? I did shake the tube will before applying the threadlocker, as instruction suggest. Maybe I was to generous, applied to much and should just wait longer? But the fact that it didn't seem to cure at all in about 12 hours (!) just doesn't look right to me.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Devcon Blue Threadlocker

You know, I've been thinking about this one. Threadlocker is meant to be used in very thin layers, like the near-microscopic gap between the threads of a bolt and a nut. We're talking about mere thousandths of an inch here. I don't think large gobs will ever cure, so you can't judge the state of the threadlocker where it counts by the stuff that squeezed out when you put the parts together. Even with CA, large gobs take weeks to cure on their own. Otherwise, the bottle would just turn into a useless solid mass within an hour of its initial manufacture.

The fit of the parts has to be close, with little or no perceptible "wiggle." You can't glue a 1/4" nut on a 1/8" shaft, for example.