Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

This a good beginnerplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

This a good beginnerplane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Ashok_2429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This a good beginnerplane?

Hi i have been looking for a model plane elcetric to start on. As i live in the UK i dont have the same choice of planes that you do as shipping is extremely expensive. I saw this

[link]http://www.rchobby.co.uk/ready_to_fly_c14.html[/link]

and i wond4ered if it was a good plane to start on. If this is not so good or the price is too steep please direct me to a website which sells good beginner planes to the UK or look around that site above at the other planes on there.

Any imput would be much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:49 AM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: This a good beginnerplane?

try www.galaxymodels.co.uk have you flown before?if not a biplane is not a good first choice genrally.what are your average weather conditions?do you get quiet&electric flight international?this would be the publication for you.check out the petrel 400 or
e-starter,,,,,beaver,,,j3cub,,,fokker,,slow stick,,electric scamp and many more in your contenent,@ galaxy models.most of the planes i mentioned need little to no wind to fly properly but not all.i have recieved alot of help from your fellow countrymen and am shure they will be there for you too.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Ashok_2429

thankyou for the recomendation, i will be flying it mostly in southern france but also in norhtern england where it can get quite windy, if its windy i will not be flying it in England. i dont know any model shops or anyhting and know very little about the subject.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Ashok_2429

ive seen videos of the slow stick and the tiger moth, i prefer the tiger moth as it seems to go slightly faster. would you definately not recomend me getting th tiger moth.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You can't go wrong with either plane. The Slow Stick is definitely more robust and handles a decent amount of wind, but many people have learned on the original GWS Tiger Moth.

Don't confuse the original Tiger Moth with the new Tiger Moth 400. Two completely different planes.

My advice is to be wary of "ready to fly" airplanes. There are some that are okay, but many are just there to steal your money. That el-cheapo Beech Staggerwing might be okay in the hands of an expert, but I would bet dollars to donuts that it's not very stable. A very successful RTF design has a high-monuted wing, a pusher prop, and a V tail. An example is the Firebird Commander.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:41 AM
Ashok_2429

so what is the difference between the old tiger moth and new tiger moth, is the new one still a good plane to learn on?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Ashok_2429

im also a bit worried about the build because i have never built a plane before, i have no idea about ballancing or anything like that, will that be in the manual or would soemone on here be bale to help once i bought it.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:23 AM
EvolPenguin

The new one is a ( i think) bigger, and I know it's faster. It has a faster engine. It can probably handle more wind, but is harder to learn on because you need more space.

With balancing etc... You can find that online, ask here, search the forums, and it's in the manual. Don't worry about it. Don't forget to tell us how it goes.

Al
Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Ashok_2429

cheers youve all been really good but i think im going to go with the Slow stick, just one more piece of advice which one is better for my first plane the Pico Stick or the Slow Stick.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:39 PM
EvolPenguin

Good Choice. I haven't heard a bad review about it yet. Tell us how it goes.

Al
Old 06-18-2004, 12:47 PM
RandyT

I believe the Pico Stick is more of a indoor flyer, while the Slow Stick is larger and a parkflyer. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:28 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

For loads of info on the Slow Stick, go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php, scroll down to the electric section, click on "beginners training area" and check out "The ultimate Slow Stick help thread part 5".
Old 06-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Ashok_2429

cheers
Old 06-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Ashok_2429

im confused, ive been playing on the flight sim FMS and have a model of the slow stick. it has airlerons does the real one? i find using airlerons quite hard but i find it a lot easier if its just the rudder. Does the real slow stick have a rudder and airlerrons or just a rudder.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:11 PM
EvolPenguin

Just Rudder, if it's stock. You can customize it to add ailerons, but the people who have done this say they are not very useful. Just use FMS with only the rudder and no ailerons.

Al
Old 06-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Ashok_2429

thats great cheers, one more question which model in FMS should i use to practice.