Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

want a slowstick

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
savage-freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want a slowstick

i want tto learn how to fly airplanes.
everybody says the slowstick is a good starter;so i'll buy it.
i want to order everything from towerhobbies.
what electronics do i need?there is a list of needed accesories;but are they good?i want long fly times.i live in belgium so i can't order li-poly batteries.
thank you for your help.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: want a slowstick

I've only flown the 300 version. I see they have two other versions so all my comments will be about the one that I know.

First, you may want to order a bunch of extra props. I've broken 2 (I think). I had a lot of sim time before I began. You break less as you get better. Stock prop is GWS 1180

Get at least one extra prop shaft.

You may want to consider getting two SS's--one for parts.

The C-10 ESC will handle the 300 motor nicely.

The charger will only work in the car or in your house if you have a wall adapter that will accept a cigarette lighter plug. I'd personally consider another charger.

The battery will be too small. I would get at least 650 mah batteries. Many fly with 8.4V 1050 mah batteries. I get about 12 minute flight times with the 300 motor and the 1180 prop with a 8.4V battery. That said, consider how long you want to be flying when you go out and get the appropriate number of batteries to last that long.

The transmitter is the one I have--good for the SS. If buying again, I would get a 6 channel Tx that can do some basic mixing. I didn't use the Futaba Rx on my SS. I bought a Berg Stamp 4 and used Hitec H55's for servos. The ones with the Futaba have similar specs to the 55's.

I think that's it.... Anyone else?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:27 AM
wright3

SS is a great choice. With all its wing area, you can add just about all the weight (within reason)that you want and not upset this plane's flying qualities. It'll fly very slowly and turn without loosing altitude. It'll get you started with aerobatics.

Fly with a big battery, 7 or 8 cell nimh or 2S lipos. Get 900 mah or more so your flight times will be long. I used 2S 1900 lipos for about 20 minutes

If you have the choice of power systems, get the 350. It'll have the 5.66/1 gear ratio which turns a 10x6 prop with authority. You'll be able to fly around at 1/2 throttle for a really long time. I tried the 400 power system and was dissapointed. Performance wasn't as good but it was really good at sucking the power out of my batteries. The 300 works well and is easy on the batteries but doesn't have the punch of the 350. I can't tell you how many times the extra power saved my plane from a crash.

Have lots of fun. Randy
Old 07-08-2004, 04:59 AM
savage-freak

where can i buy li-poly batteries?
tower can't ship them to belgium,maybe another store?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Ultimate3D

i would not run the stock prop because it does not have as much thrust for the amps it pulls i would advise changeing to a 11x4.7
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had this discussion on another thread, but in case you didn't see it, I would advise against the prop Ultimate 3D suggests. You can buy it and try it, but in spite of the energy savings, I didn't like the way the Slow Stick flew with it and I have light components, except for the battery.

For me, the 1147 lacked authority. You can fly slow with the 1180 by going 1/2 throttle and punch it if you need the gas, er, electrons.

The 1180 is a good prop. The 1260 was nice too, but I got less time per flight with it.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:03 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

An error was made by a user, this was supposed to come here.
Quack7
New Contributor

I live at 6500 feet, the air is thin and we do a lot of modifing to keep these birds in the air.
11/8 prop is minimum, this gives us the extra for thin air
We tune the motor (the stock 350), the gain is almost 20%
I use NiMh 9.6 (8 aaa's), you have to be light on the power, using the 9.6 burns the brushes faster but the extra power make the Slow Stick jump off the tarmack. Just 15 feet and your in the air!
I also have a brace between both leg on the landing gear to keep the Slow Stick from swatting and breaking the prop. Ever since I made that modification I rarely broke props.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Morb

ORIGINAL: savage-freak

where can i buy li-poly batteries?
tower can't ship them to belgium,maybe another store?
Lots of places to buy batteries.

You'd probably be happiest here:

www.aircraft-world.com

They ship from Japan.

For the slowstick motor, you'll probably want either a 700 or 1200 mah 2s1p Etec pack...

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca