Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Bending prop Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:57 AM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bending prop Shaft?

Last night while flying my GWS slowstick I some how managed to bend the prop shaft<no crashes>It produces lots of Vibration but still works.... How do I bend it straight or do I leave it bent and fly it like that?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:01 PM
red91sit
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Bending prop Shaft?

I also have a bent prop shaft, it is a lot louder and slightly slower but I'm too poor to fix it so I just use it the way it is it works for me . As long as it can fly right . BTW how'd you bend yours? mine was a vertical landing nose first.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Bent is going to eat up lots of power, and might actually burn out the motor. Try to straighten it as best you can, but if all else fails, you can get new shafts from many online vendors. Worst case scenario, you buy a new gearbox. Sometimes you can get them pretty straight by eye. The shaft pops right out of the gearbox, just disassemble them inside a large ziplock bag, because the e-clip has a tendency to zing off in a random direction.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 PM
kevinv
My Feedback: (1)

One way to straighten it is if you can afford it buy a cheap magnetic base and a dial indicator
Harbor Freight has cheap import stuff, somehow lock the motor assy. down then touch the indicator on the end of the shaft and zero the dial out rotate the shaft to find the run out .
As to bending it back there looks like two ways but I don't want to recommend it .
Two reasons if one it is hard to straighten it by hand with out V-blocks, I would feel bad if it didn't work, I've had to straighten shafts for customers and had good and bad results.
Just try to protect the threads and grip the non threaded part of the shaft. You'll never get it to zero but you can get it close. Good Luck
Old 07-29-2004, 12:24 AM
ICE_MAN

Well It happened because my dad seems to really like these small pines my neighbor has and has manage to snag one every day... Its never damaged the plane severly and is fun whatching it spin inLOL. This time it went in nose first. Bent the shatf BUT didn't even break the prop! Anywho I got her straightened fairly well by hand... Then one of those pines "reached up and grabbed the plane" From the air and somehow bent the propshaft just the right way now it's nearly perfect...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from my SS help file:

Let me know if it works for you. I was thinking of posting my whole file to RCU when I'm done compiling it and any feedback on it would help....

The 300 EPS powered gearbox has a 3mm propshaft. When they bend, they often bend in front of the big black gear (the spur gear). Some people cut this off and use a prop adapter to mount other props. Alternately, you can take the thing apart and try to straighten the bent prop shaft. If the shaft bends between the bearings, I’d say you’re pretty well hooped and need a new shaft as it is really difficult to take a bend out of the middle of the shaft.

Anyway, to straighten the shaft, you have to take the bent prop shaft out and put it in a drill. Press the trigger of the drill and you will see the shaft wobble. Take a felt pen and hold it up to the spinning shaft. This will mark the spot that you will need to whack later. Stop the drill, ensure you’ve got a good mark, then put the shaft in a vise between two wood blocks so you don’t mar the surface of the shaft. The spur gear should be resting on the wood blocks. The mark should be pointing towards or away from the handle that tightens the vise. Tap the shaft lightly. Remove from vise, put shaft in drill, press trigger and if the shaft is still wobbling, use paper towel to wipe felt mark off and then use the felt pen to mark the shaft again. Repeat as necessary. Resist the temptation to really whack the shaft. It is bends quite easily and if you hit it too hard, you’ll find you are actually bending the shaft back and forth.