Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Ready for aileron trainer. E-starter?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Ready for aileron trainer. E-starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:48 PM
fratermus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for aileron trainer. E-starter?

I can pretty much fly the Slow Stick for extended periods without crashing now. :-)

I'm not bored with the performance at all (I'm not a speed junkie or anything), but I'd like the additional control of using a 4-ch plane. (ie, coordinated turns, etc). I do not plan to do aerobat stuff at all.

I wouldn't mind something that could fly in slightly more wind than the Stick can tolerate. I fly in a really large field with tallish grass so I hand launch.

I prefer things that look like more traditional airplaines than funky designs.

I like GWS stuff so far and so I'm thinking the E-Starter might fill the bill. Comments? In the vids I've seen of the EStarter it seem to fly a bit faster than the stick so I figger it might handle a bit more wind. Am I on the right track here? Anyone else have suggestions for a fellow with preferences like mine?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:32 AM
RickAvery

Default RE: Ready for aileron trainer. E-starter?

Check out the sky scooter pro II. It's only a 3 channel set up, ailerons, elevator, throttle. I fly mine in 10 to 15 mph winds frequently. Up around 20 mph it can become a hand full if you don't have a large field to land in. There is a BIG thread on the sky scooter in the 'Park flyers' section. At least one fellow has added a rudder to his scooter with sucsess. I don't think there's a better value in a ARF foamy electric plane. Approx. $140.00 to $160.00. I've had the opportunity to throw 4 scooters into the air for their maiden flights and except for the first one, my first ever attempt at flying, they all flew great right out of the box. The electronics are compatible with standard off the shelf stuff, so when you out grow the scooter, you can use the servos etc. on something else. I'm using my first scooters stuff in a flying wing and it's working great. It's also very repairable. Two nights ago my brother-in-law got disorienetd and stuck his into the deck hard. Broke the fuselage in three places. In less that an hour she was back in the air and flying great. Very resiliant airplane. After you get the hang of flying it, increase the throws on the control surfaces and it becomes very aerobatic. Loops, rolls, inverted flight, stalls, just the best fun you can get for $150.00.
Rick
Old 08-06-2004, 11:09 AM
gravityrules

I finished an E-Starter a little while ago, love it, and highly recommend it. I've graduated from Aerobird to GWS P-51 (which I very quickly smashed to heck) and decided on the E-Starter to really get the hang of aileron flying. The plane has stable flight characteristics, good performance, nice recovery capabilities. If you get one, check the forums for constructions tips. I reinforced the tail with wood strips and glassed the entire fuselage and wing for strength. When (or if) I get tired of it I can move all the guts to another GWS plane (looking at the Spiifire). You can also easily upgrade to brushless using the Himax geared setup that you can get at allerc.com. You can also buy the E-Starter in "Slope Glider" form to use for parts for less than $30. Make sure you get the CG right.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:30 PM
fratermus

I went ahead and built an e-starter and really like having the 4ch control. That really seems to help me control it more when the wind is up.

BTW, Shoe Goo eats foam. :=0