Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

lipo batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo batteries

I have bben flyingmany years, but just getting interested in electric. I have been reading some ofthe dangers of lipo batteries. Where is a save place to charg them. Not on workbench or near hood of car. Do you charge them outdoors, do you have to watch them all the time?
Where is a safe place to keep them. Thanks for any info 85236
Old 09-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: lipo batteries

Lots of threads on the care and feeding of LiPolys are out there, but it never hurts to reiterate best practices one more time...

LiPolys are, in my opinion, only as dangerous as the person charging them is careless.

Many people advocate charging LiPolys in a fireproof safe at the very least. Nothing wrong with that, because it gives you a sturdy box to store and transport the batteries. The main issue here is to separate the batteries from combustibles, and to that end, a nice Pyrex dish and some due diligence works just as well as any fireproof safe.

One misconception about LiPolys is that you have to "hover" over them with fire extinguisher in hand while they charge. Monitor the charge does not mean you have to stare at them the entire time. Just don't put the packs on charge, then go shopping, go to bed, or retreat to the far end of the house for several hours. Monitor means check back as often as necessary to make you feel comfortable, and be close enough to detect and handle a fire should one break out.

The most important thing about caring for and feeding LiPolys is to not abuse them in the first place, and not give them a reason to fail. Use a quality charger that's designed to handle LiPolys. The charger should be easy to operate so there is little chance of using the wrong settings. A more complicated charger means YOU have to be that much more diligent in making sure the settings are correct before you start charging.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:11 PM

Default RE: lipo batteries

THANKS MATT FOR YOUR INPUT. IT IS APPRECIATED FOR THE TIME TO TAKE TO REPOND TO MY QUESTION. I WILL ALSO TRY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS ON THIS FORUM IF I CAN HELP SOMEONE ELSE THANKS AGAIN!