Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Extreme

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Extreme

Last Sunday, my club hosted an open house for the people of the township where one of our fields is located. We took anyone who wanted to try out flying up on glow trainers, first using the "shared transmitter" method, then the buddy box.

One of the participants brought his Aerobird Extreme along. He was having trouble flying it, and wisely came looking for help before smashing it to pieces in futile attempts to fly. We were more than happy to give him a hand.

After a couple of test flights with expert pilots at the controls, we determined that the plane had a severe tendency to turn left, even with full right trim and some right control input. It turns out that the V-tail had been creased at some point, and wasn't perfectly aligned anymore. Since it wanted to turn left, we raised the left elevator using the handy "twist adjuster" on the control horn until it looked like it would compensate for the turn, and flew a short test hop. We had to repeat the process once more to get it right, but once it was adjusted, the plane flew hands-off straight-and-level at about 1/2 power.

The owner was able to fly out the rest of the battery with some gentle coaching. After he ran out of charged batteries, we put him on the buddy box of a glow trainer, and he was able to keep the airplane under control with very little difficulty.

I was impressed with the Aerobird Extreme, especially after hearing about some issues people were having with lack of control and lack of power. The plane is powered by what is basically an R/C car power system, and I was skeptical.

Now, I wouldn't have a moment's hesitation in recommending the Aerobird Extreme, even to a beginner. It's got plenty of power to cruise around for up to 10 minutes at partial throttle, and plenty of control authority in "Expert" mode. Even the owner had little trouble flying it in the stiff gusts we were getting during the day.

A couple of pieces of advice:
1. Make sure the controls are aligned for the first flights. The elevator "flaps" should be even with the rest of the V-tail.
2. Get off full throttle once the plane is flying, or you'll be fighting a tendency to constantly climb.
3. If the plane has a tendency to turn one way or another, land immediately and RAISE the elevator on that side a little bit.
4. Get yourself a LARGE field to fly in. "Basic" mode is not very responsive, and you need an acre to turn the thing around.
5. Basic mode can get frustrating, especially in smaller fields. Consider using "Advanced" mode for more control authority.
6. If the plane doesn't seem like it has enough power, it is NOT normal! Recharge your batteries, following the instructions closely, and if that doesn't work, contact Horizon Hobby support.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:30 PM
WolfeWind

Default RE: Aerobird Extreme

I hate to differ with you Matt, since you are usually most knowledgable. The ABX does fly well when it flies, but it has serious design flaws IMHO. I would definitely NOT recommend it for a beginner. It is too fast, to heavy and it not very durable compared to the other HZ birds without serious mods. Even with serious mods the circuit board is notorious for melting down, rendering the plane useless. After owning 2 of them, and replacing the fuses a couple of times, I just gave them away. Those things cost me a fortune and were the worst planes I have ever ever owned.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
frenchstan

Worldwind: I agree with you completely about the Xtremes handicaps. For me, though, my stuborness keeps me trying to fly them.
You mentioned a fuse. I've got two Xtremes that have elevator control, but no motor control. I checked the motors and they're OK. I didn't see any obvious fuse on the (pathetic) receiver board. Do you have any more info on this topic?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:36 PM
dribbe

Thanks for the post Matt.
I also agree that the ABX is a fine flyer. I think it is a fine trainer for someone who can access some help getting started (as you guys kindly provided).
It is a bit heavy, and fast for someone to learn on un-aided, and some of those who try may be dissappointed. The kinetic energy involved simply makes it less durable in a severe crash (as those who teach themselves to fly will inevitably incounter).
The plane is really intended for those who have access to some help or those who already know how to fly, and enjoy a fun 3 channel aircraft that is RTF, and can handle the wind. That is why HBZ rated it ZONE 3.
It's power and weight make if fly more like a larger gas model... it has a wider speed envelope... It's momentum lets it do multiple loops and rolls better the ist smaller stablemates.
(Actually, the ABX is my favorite SCM combat plane.)
Thanks again for your comments.
David
Horizon Hobby
Old 10-05-2004, 09:39 PM
dribbe

Frenchstan,
Have you called the product support number in your instruction manual to request support for your issues? (Have the airplanes been involved in severe crashes?)
Have Fun, David
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 AM
jeffterrie2

sport mode is the only way to fly!!!