Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Space Scooter Elevator/ Aileron settings

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Space Scooter Elevator/ Aileron settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
cerecke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Space Scooter Elevator/ Aileron settings

Hey all. This is my first post. The wealth of information exchanged on this site is unbelievable. After searching and reading a lot the last week or so, I decided to buy my first plane...a Space Scooter. I flew it for the first time today and managed to keep it airborne for about 3 minutes before crashing it. I ended up breaking the prop (3 APC 9X6 props plus a 3:1 BB gearbox on the way from servocity.com) but had a great time. I also ordered 2 extra 7 cell 1600mah NiMH batteries but have not used them yet. I wanted to get a feel for the plane using the stock 600 NiCd.

My question regards the throw that the elevator and ailerons have as they come set from the factory. I have read about people cutting slits in the ailerons for better action, but I have not heard any discussion as to the holes used on the servo horns and brackets that are glued to the foam.

If I move the mounting points further away from the center of the servo and closer to the aileron and elevator brackets, I will increase the travel of the flaps. In theory, I should be able to climb faster, and turn sharper provided I have enough power at the prop. Right?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Space Scooter Elevator/ Aileron settings

The Space Scooter's gearbox is 3:1 AFAIK, so unless the stock box is broken, there really isn't any benefit to changing it. Doesn't hurt to have a spare around, though... Stuff happens

You're exactly right about the relationship of control horn length to servo arm length. The farther away from the center of the servo, and the closer to the control surface, the more throw you get. However, elevator throw doesn't make the plane climb faster. Elevator only controls pitch, power and aerodynamics determine climb rate. Hence the very popular saying, "The elevator is not the magic up stick!" If you pitch the nose up without enough power, the plane stalls and goes down. If you pitch the nose up too quickly, by having too much elevator throw, the plane will also stall even if you have adequate power.