Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbee needs help!!!

Old 11-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Alias1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee needs help!!!

I'm new to electrics, I have a mini Edge 540 with a Park 400 brushless motor, 2100 LiPo and I was wondering, I have a Fataba 7 channel radio that I have been using for glow and gas planes, can I use one of the receivers I have for glow power planes with the electric or will I need to get a mini receiver? I understand about the weight difference in the two receivers.

Next question: I have a Park Zone 25A ESC will that work with this setup or will I need to use a Pack Zone receiver?

Thanks in advance,

You got to start somewhere!!!

Steve
Old 11-24-2005, 12:54 AM
WolfeWind

Default RE: Newbee needs help!!!

You should be able to use a receiver from a gas plane with no problems. The esc needs to either be programmable or must have the cut off voltage pre-set at a high enough level to protect the lipo. You don't want to discharge the lipo under 2.5 volts per cell. If your lipo is 2 cell it is likely that the esc is pre-programmed at close enough to 5 volts to be acceptable.
But it the lipo is 3 cell you need to set your cut off at a minimum of 7.5 volts. Most people actually use 3 volts per cell for cut offs just to be safe.

Lipo's need special handling to prevent fire and/or damage. Must be charged with a lipo charger at no more than a 1:1 ratio and must not be over discharged.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Newbee needs help!!!

Yep, there's no law saying you can't use a regular receiver, provided you're okay with the weight penalty, and the plane has space for it. There's nothing "electric-specific" about the smaller receivers, really, though some wouldn't be a good idea to use with glow planes due to limited range and vibration resistance (i.e. GWS Pico receivers).

The signal going from receiver to servo (or ESC) is standard for all brands of radio equipment. Your ESC will work fine with your "glow" receiver.