Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

T-hawks first flight, you gotta be kidding...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

T-hawks first flight, you gotta be kidding...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:01 AM
mn5503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-hawks first flight, you gotta be kidding...

me!!!! This thing is easy and fun.

Well as I've posted before I really don't want to destroy my gas powered p-51 just yet so I bought a T-hawk a few weeks ago. Every time I've had a chance to get out and fly the Hawk it's been windy. So I went against everyones advice and took her up on her maiden voyage in about a 10 mph wind. It was great. Even in the wind this plane was extremely easy to fly and control. I definately had to use down elevator into the wind to keep the nose down and with the wind she really rocked. I didn't realize until I attempted my first landing that I had never backed off the throttle! Just flew her wide open for about five minutes and then cut it back to nothing and made a nice landing on the crusted snow field. I have taken it up many times since with only a couple problems on the landings, due to breaking through the snow or rolling a wheel through a footprint. I think I am going to build a set of mini ski's for landing gear. This plane is very fun and easy to fly. Second time up I had this plane doing double loops with ease. I just hope I don't have to unlearn this three channel flight when I take out the p-51 this summer. That fourth channel adds a whole new dimension.

I would like to thank "aeajr"!!!!!! It was his post recommending the T-Hawk (as well as others) for first time flyers. I researched them all and the T-Hawk seemed like the best choice for me. I would encourage anyone who is looking to get started to try this plane. In the mean time I'm still on the simulator training for the 4 channel. Thanks for the advice people, much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:56 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: T-hawks first flight, you gotta be kidding...

In practice you won't find the 4th channel that much different in the air. Turning will still be done by using the right stick mostly in order to bank and pulll through the turns.

Where you'll find yourself using the rudder is at slow speeds and on the ground for making your turns as you taxi and hold heading while taking off and landing.

BTW, you say you used "down rudder" into the wind. I think you mean "down elevator." I don't want to be pedantic, but rudder is what controls which way the nose points in the left-right sense. Elevator controls which way the nose points in the up-down sense.

You want to keep your terms right as you read more and more. These forums are full of good advice, but if you've got your terms crossed up it will be confusing!

BobbyG

Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 AM
mn5503

Yes of course, I meant elevator. Just got a little excited.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:07 AM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Well Good choise of the T-hawk, I also got because ppl on here said it was 5 star and it is. I have been flying for 5.5 years I got two. And I still love to fly them. Heres an idea what to do to them when you get to be an novce or expert. GL on both planes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90627.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	396744  
Old 01-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Mirek

Hi -- that is very good model to start new person in Rc flying , my son solo on " V " tail version after four fligth's . The day he flown his solo . he flown 3 times and each flight was over 40 min on battery that last 15 min , so you can see you can make good flying on RTF models with little of practice.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the T-Hawk is a great little plane. I think I will go ahead and take some credit for influencing Ed (AEAJR) into advising the T-Hawk.

I bought one for my first plane, and I can't believe what it survived at my hands!

Skip the landing gear altogether. You'll thank me. This plane was just BORN to belly-land; esp. on snow & grass. Once you remove the landing gear, it is lighter & more aerodynamic, so it flies better all around. Then, put 'er up about 500' and just soar down. You'll be surprised at how long you can fly her like that.

When your skills increase and the wind settles down, see how slowly you can just float around. When you've mastered that, see how close to the ground you can fly.

I've got 6 other planes now; most of them more aerobatic and faster. But you know what? The T-Hawk is still a "go-to" plane. It is so hard to break that it is always ready for action when some stupid little thing is keeping other planes grounded.

I will extend myself a bit here and suggest that if you really give electric a chance you will give up glow altogether. Try a 48" flying wing with a brushless motor next. I've got an Edge Overlord (stock brushless/LiPo setup) that can & DOES fly in up to 30 mph winds. It is even more durable than the T-Hawk, and about 7X faster.

So that you don't need so much down elevator when flying into the wind, shim up the back of the wing with a popsicle stick or something. It helps! As you get better, go to the full control throws. You'll be surprised at how far this plane can grow with you, hehehe.

One time, I took mine flying at the local frisbee golf course. Then, it got to be 10 AM and all the "golfers" came out. So I backed off to the parking area, and just soared at 300 ft for the rest of my battery. Then, I called out the landing, and they politely let me land; just riveted the whole while.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

hehe. I do all of that with my hawk too.[X(]