Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

How to mount an outrunner?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

How to mount an outrunner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:38 PM
pootman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mount an outrunner?

I bought a hacker A30 for my new plane. Being new to electrics, how do I mount this motor? The paperwork that came with the motor is minimal. I think I have it more or less figured out, but would like advise from those with more experience before I blow the motor up. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: How to mount an outrunner?

You don't state what kind of plane your attempting to mount it to, or if you have the accompanied mounting supplies that came with the motor?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
pootman

It's a Fliton Rogue 3D with a hacker x30 esc and a thunderpower 3s/2000mAH lipoly. The motor mount that was provided on the hacker A30 motor allows me to mount the engine both forwards and backwards. It also allows me to add a prop shaft on the rear of the motor to allow a backwards mounting. My questions is, there are several parts included for the motor mount, what parts are required for forward mounting and what parts for backwards mounting. For example, with a backwards mount (the mount that seems to work best on this aircraft) the original prop shaft faces to the rear and an alternate prop shaft is mounted on the opposite side of the motor. I used the mount that looks like an X, do I need to use anything else? What the lightweight collar for? Or the round wood mount or spacer (not sure) for? Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

The collar is the only thing you need to use. It fits on the long shaft and ends up in the middle of the X bracket. It is used so that as the engine pulls, it will not pull itself from the piece with wires on it. Be sure and make a spot so this will turn freely.

Larry
Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not find any extensive threads about the Rogue here.
There is one in the electric 3D flying section of rcgroups, and it also deals with some motor mount issues, with pictures. In their electric Sport Planes section there is also a thread about "Jumpin' Jim" that you might find interesting.

(I suppose pointing you to a competing site is close to the edge of breaking rules, but the information is there and duplicating it here would be quite an effort.)

edit: adding links, encouraged by the advice below:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483075
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347392
Old 03-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Just to clarify, ADVERTISING or SOLICITING for a competing site is against the rules. Posting a link with information pertinent to a question is OK, even if it does send you to a competing site. In other words, you can say, "Here is a link to the answer at www.competingrcsite.com," but not, "Go to www.competingrcsite.com."

This is like the third time in recent history that I've run into this exact question for this exact motor. That's gotta mean something.

The motor can be mounted two ways:
1. Prop attached to the spinning can end of the motor. Motor secured to the front of the firewall, like a glow engine, via the metal "X," which is screwed to the stationary end of the motor. The collar is secured to the shaft protruding from the stationary end of the motor, tight up against the bearing and circlip to prevent the motor from pulling apart from the thrust.
2. Prop attached to the shaft protruding from the stationary end of the motor. Motor secured inside the plane, BEHIND the firewall, and protruding through holes in the firewall. Hacker includes a pre-drilled firewall as a courtesy.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:59 PM
stockdaddy

I like it mounted backwards as the metal shaft is thin and can bent in a nose in. With backwards mount you won't have this problem. Hacker does include extra motor shafts.