Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

dirt slinging r/cer looking to the sky

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

dirt slinging r/cer looking to the sky

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
trx2.5rcnitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt slinging r/cer looking to the sky

i have been into rc for about 10 years now and always had cars or trucks. recently i have been thinking about getting a inexpensive electric plane or small heli. just to see if im going to like it. any suggestions on planes or helis to check out??
Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Hellcat1st

Default RE: dirt slinging r/cer looking to the sky

Helis are hard the only small inexspensive one I reccomend it the e-flight Blade CX coaxial rotor set up.
With cars and planes it is the same thing the better the radio the more costly it is If you like cars you are defenatly going to get hooked on planes For a If you go electric a slow stick or e-starter from gws are good choices If you go with glow a sig lt-40 Is the best trainer for the price. The most important thing is to find some one to help you learn how to fly Otherwise it can be an exspensive and frustrating learning exspeiance Planes dont have brakes or reverse Good luck
Old 04-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Leo L

If you want to try out a heli, I agree that the Blade CX is your best bet. It runs about $200 and must be flown with NO WIND.

If you want to try out flying, there are a lot of good beginner planes. First, you must decide if you want to go for a Ready-To Fly plane, that comes almost fully assembled and includes everything needed; an Almost-Ready-To-Fly, that comes partially assembled but needs you to supply the electronics; or a kit that requires complete building and electronics. If you are not sure that you want to get into the hobby, the RTF is probably your best bet because it usually represents the smallest investment.

My suggestion to you is to go to Toys-R-Us, Target, etc. and buy an AirHogs AeroAce. Its only about 9" long and costs $30, but its an incredibly easy plane to learn and is virtually indestructable. You can fly it in small areas, like a gymnasium, basketball court, backyard, etc. as long as there is no wind. (The NO WIND stipulation goes for all beginner planes and helis). If you find that you like flying, then check out the various beginner threads, or write, to get some further advise on selecting a "real" plane to start with.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:36 AM
jcblough

I was in the same boat - I'm an r/c dirt guy learning to fly. I'd say get an firebird challenger. I have a freedom myself, but I think the challenger is a bit better and cheaper. I picked up an Airhogs AeroAce this week. it is fun, but I'm not sure you'd get alot of milage out of it to actually train on it. I fly mine around my cul de sac for my 3 year old to chase and get when it lands. It is fun but it more just sputters around rather than flys like a "real" rc plane.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 PM
FlyWV

Take the bottom wing off your Aero Ace when you get bored with it as a biplane- its a whole different flying experience. Way faster and climbs quicker. It was my first plane and definately got me ready for my first "real" electric, the Hobbico Flyzone Aero Voyager which is basically a less expensive alternative to the Aerobirds. Pieces of that plane live on in all my current projects.

I go back and forth between my cars and planes. I run two Xmods on a track in my basement when its raining or too cold outside, and either my AWD rally car or my Rockcrawler when its too windy to fly.