Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie Plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:53 AM
jsbzmcdaniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Plane

Well after failing with the PZ Stryker I think its time to start with a trainer . The good thing is my Stryker is still usable after I purchase a new body but I would prefer to start all over again with a trainer and later rebuild the Stryker when I obtain some skills.

These are the two planes I was looking at and would like your thoughts on these and other recomendations you might have. I am looking for a RTF. I would like to start with a three channel radio so when its time to make the switch back to the stryker I will be ready.

Firebird Freedom RTF Electric

Firebird Commander 2 RTF Electric

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Indy Park Flyer

Default RE: Newbie Plane

I have a Firebird Commander 2 that I have enjoyed flying but it is only a two channel and requires a calm day. Winds can't be over 5mph or you're at the mercy of the wind. I am new also and I'm thinking about the Hobbico EP as my next plane in either the three of four channel version. This is another high wing trainer and it sells for $139.00 which is not much more than the Commander 2 or the Freedom.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Mike001

jsbzmcdaniel-
The Mulitplex Easy Star might be an option to consider, too. I've just completed my first flight with the Easy Star and can tell you that it is a very forgiving plane. It was a great choice for me. The rtf version comes with a 3 channel radio and is less than $200. I did the kit version and used a hand-me-down radio from my brother.

Good luck!
Mike
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Leo L

The Firebird Commander is a 2-channel plane and the Firebird Freedom is not a very good plane for beginners, inspite of what the manufacturer claims. If you like the Horizon Hobby line (I have 7 of their planes), give consideration to the following planes:
1) Slow-V: easiest to fly; requires least amount of room; but is very troubled by wind
2) Aerobird Challenger: very easy to fly but requires a large field; has trouble with wind over 7mph
3) Aerobird Extreme: faster and more powerful than the Challenger; handles decently in wind but needs more room than Challenger
4) J3Cub: very nice intermediate plane; very responsive to controls but very touchy to wind.
5) Decathlon: needs optional high pitch prop to be good flyer but handles wind better than Cub
Old 07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
groundcheck

Like you, I had a stryker before I got something more forgiving to fly. After discovering it was far from being anything I could handle, I bought a PZ Piper cub. I'm advanced enough that I'm back to flying the stryker, but I still fly the cub as often.

Out of the list Leo listed, the Areobird will handle wind best, but is a fast plane, and you'll have to corect mistakes fast or you'll find the ground fast. Nothing like the stryker, but much less forgiving than the Slow-V. The Slow-v floats like a leaf in the wind, but even a small breeze is a chalange to fly in. on a calm day, its the easiest. In the middle of these two is the Piper Cub. It can fly slow, and has enough power to handle 10mph winds. It also has much beefier landing gear than the Decathalon.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
jsbzmcdaniel

Thanks for all the info! I ended up purchasing the HZ Firebird Freedom and found it fairly easy to fly. At first it was difficult to grasp the controls from different views while flying which caused me to crash on several occassions. I decided to lay the $ down and purchase the G3 simulator to get a better feel for flying without destroying my planes. After the last few days on the simulator (due to windy / rain) I had a decent early evening to give my new skills a shot. Guess what..........I can fly the plane with ease, control it, and land without damage . I guess I should have bought the simulator first and then purchased the plane!

Jim
Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Leo L

Congratulations! Enjoy flying and keep us informed of your progress.