Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

is this a good somewhat beginner plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

is this a good somewhat beginner plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:50 PM
rcdriv3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good somewhat beginner plane?

hey guys, i've been on the universe for awhile but for cars and just recently have been eyeing planes....specifically a P-51. just curious if this Ultrafly Model P-51 Mustang arf would make a good beginner plane. i have been messin around with the air hogs aero ace but nothing too big. i just like the looks of the mustang and from the preview videos looks even better in flight. hit me up and let me know if you would.

...if this isn't a good begginer plane lend me some suggestions
Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: is this a good somewhat beginner plane?

As a general rule, if it's a cool scale model, it probably isn't a good beginner plane. The P-51 is no exception in any form, and an AirHogs isn't going to prepare you to fly it.

Going it alone, I would recommend something simpler like a Multiplex Easy Star.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, what Matt said. In the summer I had the privilege of watching a car guy 'fly' planes. Some of the regulars would park at the far end of the parking lot until he crashed. It never took more than a couple of minutes before it was safe to park closer to the flight line.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Leo L

Unfortunately, the really cool looking planes, like the various warbirds, are not easy to fly. They are virtually impossible for a beginner to fly. As an analogy, try juggling four glass balls while riding on a unicycle. If you have never juggled four balls, and have never ridden a unicycle before, how long before you break the first ball?

If you want to get a decent looking plane that is good for a beginner, check out the HobbyZone SuperCub:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100
Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 AM
vrocks

ORIGINAL: Leo L

Unfortunately, the really cool looking planes, like the various warbirds, are not easy to fly. They are virtually impossible for a beginner to fly. As an analogy, try juggling four glass balls while riding on a unicycle. If you have never juggled four balls, and have never ridden a unicycle before, how long before you break the first ball?

If you want to get a decent looking plane that is good for a beginner, check out the HobbyZone SuperCub:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100
I second that opinion and the plane too. I own one and found it a great plane to learn powered landing and takeoffs with.

However, if you are 100% NEW to flying do NOT get that plane. Get the Easy Star that someone else mentioned earlier in the thread. You WILL crash! It is better to crash a foam plane and to glue it back together than it is to crash a wooden plane or a scale model foam plane.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
driveandfly

i am purchasing the super cub but only arter i have finally become confident with my slo-v (another parkzone plane) whch was a cheap and easy to fly plane that after bedded in would happily do loops and short inverted flights.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 PM
CitaFly

The single most common problem beginners have is choosing the first plane - warbirds are terrible first planes because they are tough to fly, are not at all forgiving and fly fast due to high wing loadings - some basics that might help you to choose here:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=31]Beginner Thoughts[/link]

One of the best to start with is the Hobby Zone Super Cub - my review here:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=28]Super Cub Review[/link]

Old 05-20-2007, 06:35 PM
ozrcboy

At the risk of sounding like a broken record don't go a warbird for your first. Spend some time on FMS with planes like the supercub, easystar, estarter, GWS Tigermoth 400.

While rc car drivers often have better orientation and stick finesse than beginners there are still some pretty important differences. For example, you can't just *stop* flying the way you can stop driving. And your RC cars have built plenty of neural pathways about how to deal with an impending walls/curb/etc, but they haven't taught you how to respond to your bird being banked perpendicular to the ground at 5 metres altitude and gradually noseing in.

I've written up a "course" for beginner flyers. You could probably breeze through the first bit reasonably quickly. Have a play with some of the models in FMS (keeping in mind real planes don't fly exactly like that) nor can FMS inspire fear and panic the way the real thing can (which is a great thing in some ways - you can learn the right thing to do without so much pressure - when you are under pressure if you are well drilled you will do the right thing).

http://www.oz********.com/2007/03/le...ers-guide.html

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, good luck with it.

Cheers,
Oz.