Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Challenger Advice?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Challenger Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aerobird Challenger Advice?

Hi All, I have come to aquire a couple of Aerobird Challengers (you won't believe this, I found them in a dumpster!) and am looking for any tips and advice you guys might have on this plane. I've read about the motor support mod with a zip tie and heard about a "pro tail" mod but am not able to find any info about it. I generally fly .40 to .60 size planes as well as 1/2a stuff but this will be my first electric plane other than the Aero Ace Jet I goof around with in the backyard. I need batteries for the planes and my LHS quoted me $30 for a 7.2 volt and $20 for a charger! I'd like to make my own battery packs and was looking for advice on that as well. Thanks for all your help in advance! Prop
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
lulubelle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird Challenger Advice?

Well all i can say from expierience is that there really run to just throw up and have a low stress flight. But always fly on duel rates. I have done the zip tie modifacation to it and i think that it really helped. Also, fiberglass the boom to the pod, cuz it WILL break, or come loose.

and try to talk to aejar. A few years ago, when i was just getting into rc, he helped me ALOT, and i still remember it. If ur reading this aejar, thanks alot!!

happy landings

Zach J.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Leo L

You can find the details for the ProTail if you go to the HobbyZone.com site. If you go to the video section and look at the Aerobird Extreme videos, you will find two that show the pro tail. They used to have a step by step instruction of how to make the modification, but I couldn't find it the last time that I looked. You can contact them and ask about it.

I made a Pro Tail for my Aerobird Challenger as shown on the attached photo. Basically, you fill in the slots between the control surfaces and the stationary part of the tail with 5 minute epoxy, using packing tape to keep the epoxy in place. Then you add some packing tape (that has reinforcing in it) in both directions across the epoxied slots for extra reinforcement. You then cut new slots along the same line as the original slots, but from the hinge to the FRONT of the tail. Basically, the Pro Tail takes the entire tip of the tail and converts it from being stationary to being part of the control surface.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92017.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	594230  
Old 01-09-2007, 10:24 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

one thing I remember about flying this bird is that you have to constantly adjust the flaps to keep them on plain with the rest of the tail. check them after every flight..
Don't be afraid to take the wheels off and land on it's belly. The wheels , in my opinion, are too small unless landing on a hard surface
Old 01-09-2007, 02:08 PM
propbuster

Great tips guys, thanks! Lulubelle, I was thinking of doing something to reinforce the boom to the pod, maybe a wrap of fiberglass around where it meets the pod. Leo, I tried looking up the tail mod on the hobbyzone site and couldn't find it either. Your pic and explanation is just what I needed! I was wondering about the little control surfaces in the stock configuration and was wondering if they would have enough authority to make this bird do any tricks. I'll do the mod to one of the tails I have and save the stock one for my son when he flys it. R/Cmark, I don't bother with landing gear on any of my 1/2a planes, it's just added weight in my opinion and I fly off of grass. I'll also keep an eye on the tail "flaps". Two guys from NY answering my post! I'm originally from Long Island myself and go up for vacation the middle of June. This year I'm building a small trailer just to carry my planes up with me and fly with my Dad who has recently gotten back into the hobby. Going to stay at Heckshere State Park on the island where a club has a parking lot there for a flying site. Also plan on flying out east in Calverton where my Dad belongs to a club called the Wingnutz. Again, thanks for the tips! Prop
Old 01-09-2007, 08:42 PM
flyingace451

I belly land it all of the time. Just give it a hard throw, like throwing a baseball, and it should just scoot off into the distance.

First things first (I assume you have no 3ch experience), climb up high and get used to turning it without using elevator control. But, as soon as you feel comfortable, learn to control the elevator as it will help you tons in flight, like when recovering from stalls or doing tight turns. And start in a nice open area bigger or about the size of 2 football fields put together.

It's a fairly straightforward plane to fly, you just need to get used to it. Don't over control, and if you do, don't freeze up like my dad, don't "pull up", just add opposite input and it will come out of it.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM
propbuster

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

I belly land it all of the time. Just give it a hard throw, like throwing a baseball, and it should just scoot off into the distance.

First things first (I assume you have no 3ch experience), climb up high and get used to turning it without using elevator control. But, as soon as you feel comfortable, learn to control the elevator as it will help you tons in flight, like when recovering from stalls or doing tight turns. And start in a nice open area bigger or about the size of 2 football fields put together.

It's a fairly straightforward plane to fly, you just need to get used to it. Don't over control, and if you do, don't freeze up like my dad, don't "pull up", just add opposite input and it will come out of it.
Ahhhhhhhh, Not to sound ungrateful but,
"I generally fly .40 to .60 size planes as well as 1/2a stuff but this will be my first electric plane other than the Aero Ace Jet I goof around with in the backyard." Thanks for the advice though
Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Leo L

Propbuster,
I set my control lines on the inner most hole of the control horns. I put a drop of locktite on the screw that holds the control line thumb wheel and tightened the screw as much as possible. This eliminated the tendency of the thumbwheel to "creep", allowing the control lines to become loose. Make sure that the rubberband that pulls on the control horns is in good condition. After a while they lose their elasticity and the controls stop responding properly.

You'll find that the AC is fairly slow compared to your other planes, but the ProTail makes it fun to fly. Keep us updated.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM
propbuster

Thanks for the heads up on the thumbwheels! I made up my own 6 cell battery pack using full size AA NiCads and after a little trimming of the styrofoam, they fit inside the fuselage with no problem. By my calculations, it shouldn't weigh in much more than the 7 cell 8.4v 2/3a pack. Weather permitting, test flight tomorrow morning! Thanks guys, Prop