Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Want to learn to fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM
darticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to learn to fly

I have the firebird phantom but it seems very fast and hard to get use to. I have smashed it into alot of stuff and it is very tough which is good. Is this too fast of a plane for a beginner or do you smash until you get it right. I have other planes that I built but they are to nice to distroy learning. I also built a Slo-V but afraid I will just kill it. Would like to fly but can only fly Air Hog Aero Aces. Is there a best way to get started? I go to the big field but still have trouble. Once I get the plane up I fly erratically ,up, down, around, dives, steep climes, you name I do it and all out of control, until I come down or it comes down and crashes. Don't be shy whats the deal? Should I FORGETABOUTIT! Ron
Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Want to learn to fly

NEVER GIVE UP

I would think the Slo-V would be a little better of a "learning" plane than the Firebird Phantom. Maybe give it a try.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM
darticus

Is it normal to crash all the planes you try? Should I think about it? Ron
Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
pat35

hey,you could also use a training program you can get for your computer useing a hand held transmitter that connects to your pc but i forget what sit it is i think it only costs 20 bucks too
peace
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Take out the slow-V after you have some simulator time, FMS is a good free one, there are more expensive ones that are better trainers, but if you can fly it in the sim, chances are you should be able to fly it in the field "slow-v/stick". It sounds like you are overcontrolling the plane, you just want to nudge it along, make short, slight corrections and get some altitude before messing with the trim, and again, baby the trim until it fly's by itself.

The toy's are actually harder to fly due to their size, air reacts differently on micro size planes compared to when you get into the 3-4' + size planes. With your first flights, never fly in any kind of wind, you have enough to contend with just keeping the plane under control. Along crashing, you will crash in the early days, you will crash after being an expert pilot, it's something that just is going to happen so might as well embrace it. I tend to crash some times when I'm doing something the plane is not designed for, or if it's a design I created that's pushing my skills forward. I like flying easy planes some days, other's, I want to be on the edge of the seat and white knuckle it through the air just for the challenge and adrenelean rush.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM
darticus

I know your right. I over control and drive it into the ground. I have real flight but can't find a trainer for it. I did download a super cub today, for it, and maybe I should try it. Whats the best way to land, long approach or short? Low speed or medium? When I get the plane up i also don't like to go high. Is this a problem? I do have a fear of heights. Thanks Ron
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

height is your freind, especially when you are first stating out. You can train yourself! It is not as easy as finding someone that knows how to trim out your plane and get you started. Be prepared for some more frustrating moments. Sounds like you have the desire to make this work. You will have some fun stories to share once you get the feel for it. FYI.. it took me at least 3 planes and a few dozen temper tantrums before I got tha hang of it
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 AM
ozrcboy

You might find this interesting darticus:

http://www.oz********.com/2007/03/le...ers-guide.html
Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Leo L

Darticus,

The Slow-V should be a fine plane for you to fly. To make your experience a little easier, do the following: 1) Get the seven cell battery and put away the six cell battery that the plane came with. The extra power is very useful for take-offs and to help get you out of trouble. 2) Set the wing all the way forward to compensate for the extra weight of the seven cell battery. 3) Set the transmitter to the high rate setting. The low rate settings don't give enough control to get out of some difficult situations.

Make your initial flights when there is absolutely no wind. Accept the fact that you will, occasionally, crash your plane. Everyone does, including people who have been flying R/C planes for decades.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 AM
darticus

Thanks will give a try. Ron
Old 05-16-2007, 11:51 AM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

Flight Sim