Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Converting Rubber to Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Converting Rubber to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:36 PM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Rubber to Electric

I am a long way from actually doing this but it seems like it would be alot of fun. I have a Guillows A6M2 RUFFE seaplane kit. It is set up for rubber powered free flight. It has an 18" wingspan and balsa and plastic construction with tissue covering. The destructions even say you could put a .20 glow engine on it.

My question to you gurus, are there small enough components available to give it control surface movement & throttle? I have two JR radios a JRXF421 (5 Chan) & JR MAX6 (6 Chan). I also have the radio for my SkySailor, that is about as useful as ***** on a bullfrog.

This just seems as though it would be do-able. I know it would be a challenge, but if I could make it work, it would be pretty cool.

Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Here is a pic of the box.
Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59418_12007.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	36979  
Old 03-06-2003, 09:16 PM
VFRmartin

i'm new to the sport and finished working on a Guillow's Cherokee 140 to hang on the ceiling. i don't thing it would be worth the effort to convert the free flight design into r/c.
my next project is a Hanger9 arf cherokee .40 and may try going electric with a 400 and gearbox.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Steve Lewin

The 18" span models are on the small side for success though it has been done. The heavy draggy floats would make it considerably more difficult for that particular model.

As you say it's a lot of work and because the motor, battery, radio gear etc add a lot of weight you'd need to start by lightening everything. From the Guillows kits I've seen that might well mean throwing all the heavy wood away and getting some decent contest weight balsa to remake all the parts.

Probably not worth the effort.

BTW I think you'll find that's a .020 they recommend, e.g. the tiny Cox engine, not a .20 .

Martin, I hope you don't mean you're thinking of putting a Speed 400 in a 40-size Hangar 9 arf. It won't even taxi never mind take off.

Steve
Old 03-07-2003, 04:56 PM
AlStack

BTW I think you'll find that's a .020 they recommend, e.g. the tiny Cox engine, not a .20 .

Steve [/B][/QUOTE]

Your correct. About the engine size.

I just thought it might be fun since the plans have all of the control surfaces laid out.

I just received a Comet Gull II and maybe it would be abetter kit to start messing around with electic power. Electic power just seems like a fun addition to glow power.
Thanks,
Al
Old 04-02-2003, 10:54 PM
jimjacobs

I saw the RUFFE Seaplane and had the same thought. I thought I would buy the electric motor that might work with it before I bought the model and decided on a hiline micro 4. I put it on a Guillow's Cloudbuster and man it flies great.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:29 AM
AlStack

I have three different Guillows kits and they all are made for either rubber or .020 power. I'm guessing a conversion to electric won't be a big deal. I just need to learn more about all of the micro components.

They all seem like fun projects. Once I get farther along I'll post my results.

But with warmer weather getting here and two planes wanting to fly, I may not get much done with this project till the fall.

AL
Old 04-04-2003, 05:55 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Here are a couple of sites where you can buy the batteries receivers and actuators you would need for very small micro models.
http://users.joplin.com/~bselman/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=107327