Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

aerobatics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:38 AM
David74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerobatics?

which would be the best e-plane to start aerobatics?

thank you
Old 03-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Jack Gross

Default aerobatics?

Hi David74,
You will get a lot of personal and subjective answers to your question – mine included. BIG problem is that unless you are on a buddy box, you are going to smack up some planes, I don’t care how many “mistakes high” you are. Practice is the key, but I hated to crash ($) and had a tough time getting someone to help when I wanted to get in stick-time. I found this cool little electric plane I could build for about $2 in one evening and quit worrying! Check out the Jalapeño at:
R/C Foam Flyers
Jack
Old 03-08-2003, 03:15 PM
little_moose

Default Jalapeño

David,

I agree with Jack on this one, but I guess as being the designer of the Jalapeño I would be biased.

The Jalapeño was designed to give us modellers a low price alternative to ARF's while allowing a "one evening" building cycle. Although the initial outlay for materials will be more than this, the material you buy will build more than one...Each copy of the Jalapeño cost less than $3.00 and only has an investment of a maximum of 3 hours. So even a total destruction, you only spend another $3.00 and 3 hours and you have a whole new airplane.

Most people will tell you that balsa models fly better. I have taken my time at getting this little foam airplane to equal even the best balsa models in performance. Using 6 cells NiMH, you have a docile aileron aerobatics trainer. Increasing the cell count and going to the 270 mAh cells, you get outstanding aerobatic performance that even most veteran pilots will comment favorably on.

Please visit my web site to see some in-flight videos and photos of the Jalapeño. One video will even show you how tough this little bird really is - flying into a baseball backstop and only requiring 5 minutes to repair.

OK, you say, what is the catch? I'm selling the plans and instructions for $9.95 (plus shipping if outside the US) and will provide a CD full of construction videos, pictures, set-up guides, etc for a small additional fee (to cover costs).

Come visit (and be sure to send me feedback on my planes and site) at www.foamflyers.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61252_30277.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	37623  
Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 AM
David74

Default jalapeno

hi guys,
Your plane looks really interesting, even if I personally don't like profile planes very much I must say the jalapeno is very attractive in the air.
I built one very similar in depron material (35 ", total model weight 400g), it took me a lot of time to finish and I crashed it on the second flight!!!! (GC problem). My plane was equipped with a direct drive speed 400 and two micro servo HS 81 which are not so cheap; the jalapeno seems fast to build but also very tiny and I see it requires even smaller equipment and I would prefer to use the one I already have...... so , the question is, do you think it is possible to enlarge the jalapegno to motorize it whit a popular speed 400 ( 73g) and HS 81 servos ( 16g) ?

than you
david
Old 03-09-2003, 10:13 AM
little_moose

Default aerobatics?

David,

I have thought about, and even done some preliminary engineering on a speed 400 version. Your interest may very well be the incentive for me to get going with the testing.

You are correct in that the Jalapeño is very fast building and great in the air. It is based on the set of GWS equipment readilly available now and total equipment investment for the small gear is not as substantial as you might think. Troy at www.AV8Hobbies.com has offered to make anyone building the Jalapeño a great deal on the equipment (Total cost of equipment through Troy is $113.40, including dual IPSD - AS motor, prop, LiPoly battery pack, servos, Rx w/ crystal, speed controller, and motor heat sinks.) I am in no way related to AV8 Hobbies or Troy and don't even get a kick back if he sells some, but it is a good deal for those wishing for small park flyers.

Sorry David, back to your original question, I'll look at the work involved in the new design and let you know what time frame I'll be working towards.

Mike
Old 03-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Jack Gross

Default aerobatics?

My two cents worth –
David, I have built several of Mike’s Jalapeños and you may be thinking of “gilding a lily” The plane will provide plenty of adrenalin as-is! We all want more power GRUNT, GRUNT, but - do you really want more mass (heavier batteries – shorter time in the air)? This plane offers a quick build (I make two at a time), easily transplanted equipment and is dirt cheap! I was at the club field yesterday (way too much wind) and saw two giant scale planes totally demolished! Gloom and doom abounded. I flew my little plane and handed the transmitter around to the guys to play with. Try that with a $1000 airplane! I said that I was the only guy at the field that day with any sense – there was a lot of agreement! That said, please let me know how you like the plane with a 400. I love Tim the Toolman too, but I just don’t know if I want to try the Binford motor just yet.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Hummve

Default aerobatics?

hay very cool plane man i may get one.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Jack Gross

Default aerobatics?

Hummve
Try this link:
R\C Foam Flyers
Old 03-29-2003, 04:34 AM
rtgill

Default edge 540

david , your best bet for 3D aerobatics is
the edge 540 from dave at radical rc ....
here is the link

rick

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...f38efbdfae61c3