Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Prop Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
threejacks99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Question

I just made some repairs and I'm ready to take my Mountain Models Magpie out again, but I realized I'm out of props. The one on there was bent at the center point on both ends and I was able to bend it back so that it visibly looks fine. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it looks good. Is it still ok to use this prop? Also, what's the cheapest place to buy new props? I've heard a lot about prop savers too, but I'm still not sure how they work. Could someone give a quick explanation? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Prop Question

Personally, I would never use a prop whose blades had been bent. The bending (and straightening) has weakened the blades. If a blade should fly off the prop, it instantly becomes a sharp-edged flying object that can embed itself in the nearest object. The that object happens to be, say, a person's eye, you will never forgive yourself. Besides, props are cheap.

[link=http://www.allerc.com/]All e RC[/link] and [link=http://www.bphobbies.com/]BP Hobbies[/link] both sell the GWS 9x7 for $1.38. They are both good vendors in my experience. Order a bunch of the props, which virtually guarantees that you'll never break another!

- Jeff
Old 07-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Leo L

The prop saver consists of a hub that mounts on the prop shaft. The hub has two pins (or bolt heads) that stick out perpendicular to the prop shaft. The prop fits against the front of the hub and is held in place by a small rubber band that is stretched from one pin, across the prop and onto the other pin. If the prop hits something, the rubber band comes off and the prop is released. Some people swear by prop savers, but I've seen props fly off for no good reason. One time a fellow at my field was taking off and just as the plane cleared the ground the prop came flying off, missing me by inches. Since props are so cheap, I would never use a prop saver.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 AM
jdetray

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's the earliest prop saver thread I know about, from 2001.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=20421

All prop savers, whether homemade or commercial, are based on the principles shown in the thread. Prop savers are not to be used with motor producing more than about 100 watts. O-rings are better than rubber bands for holding on the prop.

- Jeff