Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

getting started and i need help

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

getting started and i need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting started and i need help

hi, i need help getting started. unfortantly i have a few limitations
1) i've never flown before (unless you count a very friendly man who let me fly a plane at a field.)
2) i need to be able to buy it IN MELBOURNE Victoria.
3) i want to fly it at the park across the road. so if it can take of from a cricket pitch and i can fly it on two ovals
4) i am on an very low budget
5) i would like to make it but then i need to buy heaps more stuff. if you can find and way around this i would be grateful to know
6) i would like it to look like a real plane

Thanks in Advance Anthony =) [>:][&:][8D]
(i like smileys)
Old 08-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: getting started and i need help

If you can't mail order it in, and no one from Melbourne responds, maybe you could look up the hobby shops there, visit them, get a list of what they recommend for a beginner and then post what they have here for further opinion.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

Time pilot, thanks for your reply. I've been to one, the plane they suggested was a 3 channel on with spare wings and the prop behind the cabin. this was a good starter. What planes would you suggest (that might be available at a shop)
Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

also i can order from Frontline hobbies because they are in Australia but they seem to be quite expensive. thanks, Anthony
Old 08-24-2007, 07:00 AM
S.C.C.

Try something like this
http://www.modelflight.com.au/hobbyz...er_cub_rtf.htm
Old 08-24-2007, 07:25 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

S.C.C, thanks for your reply. That looks like a nice plane and i am considering it. In the unlikly event that i crash it (cough cough) would i be able to repair it. i think i have the nessercy skills from making guillows kits and i built a scratch built boat, so if i were to nose dive it do you think i could repair it with balsa, glue and basic tools?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 AM
S.C.C.

The great thing about this plane apart from its flying ability, is it's easy to repair. Epoxy glue and packing tape will have your cub back in the air in no time.
Plenty of info here.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi
Theres also a very large thread here at RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4371835/tm.htm

If you do go for it make an enquiry about the transmitter. It seems the Australian kit comes with a different TX than what you get in the US or UK
Have a look here.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1175366147
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Nitroaddict

Alot of people are recommending the supercub for a beginner plane, and because it is foam, if you doink it into the ground, you can just glue it back together. Personally, I think a Slow stick is a better first plane if you don't have anyone helping you, but you did say you wanted it to look like a real plane. You can also look at the GWS Beaver. Also a great plane, you can buy your own electronics, and it requires a bit more building, so you learn a bit more in the process.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Leo L

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to R/C flying!

The SuperCub is the best beginner plane by most people's acount, including Backyard Flyer Magazine, which called it "The Perfect Beginner Plane". Another great beginner plane is the Multiplex EasyStar, but I prefer the SuperCub because it has landing gear and because it looks like a real plane.

Other decent beginner planes are the HobbyZone Aerobird 3; Readytoflyfun T-Hawk; HobbyLobby Wingo; GWS Beaver; GWS SloStick; HobbyZone Slow-V; FlyZone SkyFly; HobbyLobby Wing Dragon; Begin Air.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

A lot of people are recommending the supercub for a beginner plane....

Personally, I think a Slow stick is a better first plane if you don't have anyone helping you...
It's just a theory, but I think that once you know how to fly, it's difficult to evaluate any other plane as to what it would be like for a beginner.

I've seen the Super Cub fly and flew one for a few minutes and while a bit fast for a beginner, may be a good starter. My third plane was similar to the Supercub and would not have been a very good place for me to start. But I don't like to take too many risks with my planes because I'm a slow builder and don't really like doing repairs. Other people don't care about crashing/rebuilding/etc and if that's the case with you, you may be better off with something that flys a bit better in some wind.

My initiation into this hobby was done on a Slow Stick after many hours on a simulator. I ensured the plane was set up correctly, went out on a zero wind morning and experienced a lot of success. After many, many hours, I still have it and fly the plane when the conditions are right.

I've seen some teens fly an Aerobird. I'm pretty sure it was this one:
http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7000
and it seemed to take a fair amount of punishment.

The problem with those kinds of planes is that the electronics don't work with other brands AND the frequencies are shared with the car/boat people and a bunch of other beginner type planes which can cause frequency conficts at the most inopportune times.

I feel for you though. I had a hard time picking my first setup. You want to buy all the right stuff the first time but you don't have the experience to know what is best for you.

If it's just a passing facination, you needn't spend much money to get the thrill. If you know you're going to be in it a while, there are certain things you shouldn't try to cheap out on.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

Everone thanks for your replies i think i might buy the supercub. just wondering, is the supercub made out of foam?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:46 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

i found this 4 channel remote is it any good because it seems cheap http://hobby-lobby.com/esky-radio.htm its the first one
thanks Anthony

(p.s) does anyone know how much the guillows PBY weighs
Old 08-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Nitroaddict

Anthony - Yes it is made of foam. I would STRONGLY recommend getting a better radio. This is something you should not skimp out on. Buy the best radio you can afford, and you will be thankful in the end. Otherwise, you will need to buy another as you get better and want nicer planes.

If you can afford it, go with the newer 2.4g technology. You can get a spectrum7 for less than 190.00USD. These radio's don't use crystals and will never glitch. If that exceeds your budget, than pick up a JR, Futaba, or Hitec 6channel for about 140USD.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:06 AM
S.C.C.

Anthony.
The Supecub comes RTF [ready to fly] no need to buy anything else at the moment apart from an extra battery 8 cell.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Tommyr

I'll throw in a plug for the T-Hawk. Great value. Comes with 2 of nearly everything which is great for newcomers! The planes flies great.

Use a large field if you get it at least at first. I LOVE mine!

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/thawk3chrtf.html

Me flying it last summer:

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1..._Hawk_01-1.flv

Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: Tommyr
I'll throw in a plug for the T-Hawk.
This has always been a plane I'd like to buy just for fun. It comes recommended by other users too for beginners. Notice that it does move fairly fast. For learning, ensure you have a fairly wide open space.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
SackOHammers

I own the supercub. My first and only plane. Love it. It comes with everything you need to fly... radio, servos, a battery (although you might want a spare battery or 3), charger, etc. Its all inclusive and I think you can still get it for $115 at myrcsupply. Yes, a better radio would improve things.... but that radio equipment that was mentioned above costs almost as much as two ready to fly kits with everything.

My plan is to fly with stock gear a little bit... maybe even buy a second plane... an aileron trainer (maybe tigermoth or minimag). Once I decide what type of flying I want to do, and how much money I want to soak into this hobby, then I will decide on what radio to get. I think that makes more sense than soaking tons of money into radio gear that might not fit your needs.

There is a difference between "meeting your needs" and "fitting your needs".