Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slow Fly Props Verus APC E- Props

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow Fly Props Verus APC E- Props

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Thomas33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Fly Props Verus APC E- Props

I am new to the electrics and would like to know what is the differance between the reglator electric props and the slow fly props.(VERY CONFUSSION) Crunnently flying a Mimi Funtanna, with a E-Flight park 480 motor. 40 amp esc,2100 Lipo Using a 11x5.5 APC E prop on it. Should it be a slow fly prop? Or is what I am using OK? Power is not that great, Currenting bulding a E-flight Brio 10. Can't decied whether to use the Park 480 or the Power 10 with this one??ANY SUGGESTION? Haven't a clue on what prop top use on it/ Any help to a newbie would be most welcome. Have flown nitro for 30 years. But this electric stuff is all new to me. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
ozrcboy

Default RE: Slow Fly Props Verus APC E- Props

Hi Thomas,

Firstly - apart from the lower pitch the other difference between normal and slowflyer props (as I understand it anyway) is that slowflyer props are optimised for a lower airspeed. As you know the prop blades are actually little wings and so they will have an optimum speed at which they produce the most lift (ie thrust).

I would have thought the 11x5.5 would be fine with an eflite park 480 - however - it isn't exactly one of the recommended props. On the 920kv eflite 480 I used an 11x7 to get about 24A. If you have the clearnace you may find a 12x6 gives you the sort of thrust you are looking for. If you are after more speed, try an 11x7 or 10x8 even. By the way - it is a 3 cell LiPo right?

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Thomas33

Hi Oz
Thanks for the reply. What had me wondering about it, Was E-Flight recommends a 12x6 APC-E and what little research I have done.I read everyone is using the 12X6. Problem, when I run it in line with my amp meter it was pulling 36 amps at full Throttle and varying up to almost 38 amps I have the e-Flight Park 480 1020kv and I am using a 2100 3S Lipo Thunder power battery. The specs. on this motor is 22amps Continuous, 28amps Burst current. Seems to me if thier specs are right then the 12X6 prop would burn the motor up. That is why that I went down to the 11x5.5 prop. How can these people be using that prop. I Had one flight with the 12X6 and really liked it but then ran the tests.(I know I should have tested it before the first flight BUT JUST COULD'NT WAIT) and decided I didn't want a fried motor or one that only lasted a few flights. Guess these electrics will drive you a little crazy untill you figure them out! But I really like the no glow fuel mess. and don't think I will ever go back there. Guesss I just need to re learn a whole lot more about the subject. Happy flying and have a great day Thomas
Old 09-28-2007, 07:10 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: Thomas33

Hi Oz
Thanks for the reply. What had me wondering about it, Was E-Flight recommends a 12x6 APC-E and what little research I have done.I read everyone is using the 12X6. Problem, when I run it in line with my amp meter it was pulling 36 amps at full Throttle and varying up to almost 38 amps I have the e-Flight Park 480 1020kv and I am using a 2100 3S Lipo Thunder power battery. The specs. on this motor is 22amps Continuous, 28amps Burst current. Seems to me if thier specs are right then the 12X6 prop would burn the motor up. That is why that I went down to the 11x5.5 prop.
Hi Thomas,

There are two eflite 480s out there - one is the 1020kv you have, the other is a 890kv (I think - something like that - that I have). The 12x6 would definitely be too hot for the 1020kv motor.

When you say "power" do you mean speed - it may be that with the 11x5.5 you are hitting your pitch speed - a 10x7 is supposedly a good match for the faster motor.

Good to see you checking the amp draw - top stuff. I actually just finished writing a little guide for glow/nitro flyers having a go at electrics - is designed not to provide every formula under the sun but just to help get the basic concepts. Sounds like you have most of it sorted already, but if you are interested:

http://www.oz********.com/2007/09/gu...low-heads.html

Cheers,
oz.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Thomas33

Thanks Oz.
Went out to your web site, and just wish I had found that about six months ago. Would have saved me a whole lot of Time, Head scratching, not to mention all the expermenting money. Learning slow but sure, Loved your planes and notice a helicopter. Was wondering how much flying time on a charge. Only ask because I just sold my Raptor 50 because I couldn't afford the $25.00 a gallon.and it drank it like crazy. I wasn't that good of a heli pilot anyway.
When I was talking about power I was refering to vertical climb But need something fast enough to avoid the all too farmier snap roll. Used to glow and have long grass. Live in the country and fly out of my back yard/feild. The nearest flying field is about a 100 mile round trip. So i don't go there, and have to learn everything more or less own my own. Thans again and won't trouble you again Thomas
Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 AM
ozrcboy

Hi Thomas,

My little electric mini dragonfly gets about 5-7 minutes hover time on a 2s1300mAh LiPo - but it is just one of those little fixed pitch electric helis.

I have also just recently gotten a TREX 450S electric heli. Still need to assemble some bits for it. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I would have thought your 480 provided plenty of power unless your plane was more than 2.5/3 pounds or so.

Cheers,
oz.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Thomas33

Hi Oz
Let me know how the T Rex goes. I had my eye on the 450 T Rex se model myself. Went to the hobby shop and ask the man what it would cost with all of the expensive electronics. (I was really drooling over it) He said somewhere in the ball park of $650.00 to set it up right to go inverted. Thought about how I could hide it from my wife !!! Then her wanting me to justified that much money for something so little. So I just gave up on it, for the time being anyway.
The 480 really has plenty of power, But as you know ( YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH POWER) Wishing you the best of luck, Thomas
Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: Thomas33
But as you know ( YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH POWER)
Word [8D]