Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Glitching Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 05:33 AM
akirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitching Question?

I had a minor crash today with my Slowstick. Nothing broken, but after I got the battery reinstalled, and the wing back on, I am getting alot of servo glitching with my TX off. But it seems to be fine with my TX on.

Could I have fractured the RX crystal? Any other possible causes? If it was just backgound interference, or another radio(I am a parkflyer) wouldn't it continue with my TX on?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Akirk
Old 04-20-2003, 08:01 AM
J-S
My Feedback: (1)

if your battery is plugged into the receiver still and your TX is off, than servo glitching is completely normal...i actually MUST unplug my battery from my receiver before i turn off my TX because if I don't then I get really bad glitching and cause damage to my control surfaces.

Just always make sure the first thing you turn on is your TX and the last thing you turn off is your TX and you shouldn't have any unwanted glitching.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Tippie

What you call glitching is normal with no signal to the receiver. You ALWAYS turn the transmitter on first and receiver on next. Always, turn the receiver off first and then the transmitter. What you experienced is the receiver searching for a signal, the automatic gain control (agc) in the receiver is just converting stray RF into an action and thus telling the servos to do something. The harm that can come from having the receiver/servos turned on without the transmitter signal is that the servo(s) may rotate all the way in one direction and stall the motor in the servo which could cause it to fail. Or, could cause the servo to move a control surface to its limit and also cause a motor stall or destroy the gear drive in the servo. You may want to install an on/off switch so you don't have to disconnect the battery every time.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:42 PM
J-S

yeah what tippie said too
Old 04-22-2003, 05:56 PM
ElectriFan-RCU

What Tippie said is absolutely true.

However there are glitch filtering RXs like the Berg Micro Stamp and the Plantraco DSP-4SC which can be 'turned on' even with the TX off!! I have the Plantraco and have verified this, but as a general practice (since my other RXs don't have this feature) I still turn the TX on first.