Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Now how do I get this thing in the air?!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Now how do I get this thing in the air?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:10 PM
GrrlsFly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now how do I get this thing in the air?!!!

I've got my flat foam bat wing built and painted. I bought the 300 dollars in electronic equiptment. Now how do I hook it all up?

I figured out on my own, since I had no instructions on this, that the battery hooks up to the speed controller, and from there the speed controler hooks up to and powers the motor, receiver, and servos.

My receiver has 4 channels and I don't know which to hook the servos up to!???

The speed controller pamphlet, which is the only form of instructions I have, gives instructions about turning on and off "fail safe", but it doesn't say what that is or why I would want to turn it on or off.

Other than that I have absolutely no direction on what hooks up to what or how to get it started. I looked at a picture to guess how to put the motor together, so hopefully I did that right.

I"m really lost, and I know this sounds vague. BUt can anyone help?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Now how do I get this thing in the air?!!!

It will be helpful if you tell us exactly which equipment you have: motor, ESC, receiver, battery.

For most systems, the components are connected as shown in the diagram below. But please provide the complete details of your system, just in case you have components that are in some way unusual.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65622.gif
Views:	7
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	882599  
Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM
GrrlsFly!

Thank you so much for responding. That diagram helps a lot. I pretty much figured that it was supposed to be set up like that but had no way to confirm and didn't know which channels to plug stuff into. I'm charging my Lipo battery now. My main concern now is do I need to program this "fail safe" thing? I don't know what that is, but my reciever pamplet says I can program it. Do I need to program the speed controller? I am flying all this in a small bat wing foamy that requires mixing "elevons" so I hear, since the elevator is the same thing as the ailerons.

Here's a complete parts listing of what I've got in the bat wing:

1. "E-Flite" outrunner stick motor mount ($4.99)
2. 7x5 APC brand prop ($2.80)
3. "Common sense RC" brand 1200KV brushless motor. Model #E5-M-14. For use in 16oz-32oz planes ($52.99)
4. "Common sense RC" brand brushless speed controller ($25.95)
5. "Berg by Castle Creations" microstamp full range receiver ($33.99)
6. "Berg" reciever crystal for a channel 40 TX ($7.99)
7. "FlightPower" brand lithium polymer 11.1V battery ($49.99)
8. "Pro-Peak-Equattro" 1~4 Cell basic LIPo charger ($34.99)
9. 2 "Cirrus" brand 9 gram micro servos at ($13.99 each)
10. EZ connectors/links etc for about ($3.00 total)
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
GrrlsFly!

Well I hooked everything up, and the elevons are mixed and moving right, but when I throttle up I get nothing. The motor doesn't respond at all. Plus, I thought electrics were supposed to "sing" some kind of tune. I didn't get a song out of it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
jdetray

It sounds like you have made some progress.

I don't see anything about fail safe in the [link=http://www.commonsenserc.com/ESC_instructions.pdf]online instructions for the Common Sense ESC[/link]. Fail Safe normally refers to how the plane will behave if it loses the signal from your transmitter. This could happen if the plane flies out of range, for example. A fail safe might be set up to return the servos to the neutral position and the throttle to minimum in the event of a loss of the transmitter signal. I've never seen a small electric plane with a fail safe system.

Yes, you should hear beeps from the ESC, as explained in the ESC instructions. If you're not hearing anything and the motor isn't working, first check very carefully that the motor is properly connected. The beeps actually come from the motor, which the ESC uses as a sort of "speaker."

If you are sure the motor is connected properly, I would suggest contacting Common Sense RC and describing the problem.

One other question: What brand of transmitter are you using? If it's a Futaba, you must reverse the throttle channel. This is mentioned in the online ESC instructions.

- Jeff
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
GrrlsFly!

Thank you so much for responding! Yes, I actually am using a Futaba and I didn't know that. I'll try it!

Boy I hope this works.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
GrrlsFly!

Nope. Didn't work. Guess I'll take it in to the hobby shop.

this is really bizarre.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
jdetray

Yup, take it to the hobby shop. Hopefully, they will spot something and get it working.

Good luck, and please post again when you've got it working. I'd sure like to know what the problem is.

- Jeff
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Futaba transmitters typically require that you reverse the throttle channel. On Futaba the ESC/throttle plugs into channel 3.

Remove the prop.

The ESC won't arm, typically, unless the throttle is set to zero. If you have not reversed your throttle channel, then set the throttle to full. Now power up and see if the ESC will arm. If it does, then operate the throttle and see if the motor runs.

Once you have confirmed this, go to your throttle reverse and reverse channel 3. Problem should be solved and throttle should work normally.

This may also be helpful:

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
GrrlsFly!

Just got back from the hobby shop. Turned out to be a bad receiver. Just my luck. My hobby shop dealer swaped it out without question and now it's running fine.

Still can't get the d*mn thing balanced.

Thanks for the help and the link.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Fresnojay76

you are now at what can be the trickiest thing about planes in general, Balancing. It is a pain and requires patience and time. The more you do it the better you get as far as where to start and how far to move things in order to balance. Did I read right you have no instructions for the plane? If you do have instructions then in the manual there should be a recommended range. Start at the front of the range and work back slowly till it balances. But stay in the range. You can even add weight to get it to balance but try to avoid it if possible. In my planes I do not like to add more than and 1 oz max. At this point I only currently have 1 plane that has any dead weight.

Do you have any kind of CG machine or the like? I use the GP CG machine and have never had a ill balanced plane from it. Very easy to use and cheap too if I remeber right.

Jason
Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM
GrrlsFly!

I've already added a bunch of weights. [] Glued them right to the stick behind the motor. I didn't know what else I could do because I had to cut the stick way back just to make the connectors reach the speed controller.

Does adding lead weights affect flying performance? Why is this a bad thing?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: GrrlsFly!

I've already added a bunch of weights. [] Glued them right to the stick behind the motor. I didn't know what else I could do because I had to cut the stick way back just to make the connectors reach the speed controller.

Does adding lead weights affect flying performance? Why is this a bad thing?

Hold on there a second Hoss, I know you're all excited and want to get out and fly your new bird, but you need to be sure she's set up correctly.

I saw in your first post you built this bird. Is it a kit or just something you made on your own?

Do you know the correct CG (center of gravity) location for it?

I'll be glad to help you out, but I /we all want to be sure you have a set up that will give you the best shot at actually flying.

In answer to your last question, yes and no, adding weight will help get it balanced correctly, but also more weight means more load for both the airframe and powertrain to compensate for.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
GrrlsFly!

The plane was given to me by someone who flies an identical one in my club. It's a foamy built from plans. I believe they got the plans out of the Model Aviation Magazine. All the plans say about balancing is to measure 2 inches back from the leading edge and balance it at that point near the center.

The guy who built it confirmed that is indeed the CG. His plane flies great. By great, I mean absolutely perfect. Beautiful. Coasts at near idle or roars at full throttle and does any trick imaginable. I'm not sure why he didn't have to add so much weight and I did; I guess he has a heavier motor or something.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Glacier Girl

Ok good you know the CG point. And yes your guess on motor weight affecting the difference is plausable. Also where you may have added to your off CG was in having to shorten the motor stick. I saw you said you did so because of the motor to esc connection.

There are ways around that. Maybe it would be wise to have one of your club mates give your bird a once over before you attempt to fly it, would really be good if the one who has one like it looks at it. He could give you tips on it, and maybe make some suggestions as to whether it will fly correctly in the altered state you have it in.......before you maiden it and end up with a mess on your hands.

I know we all get excited with a new bird, but often slowing down and making sure all is right can save you a lot of misery and dollars in the long run.

Heck I have these birds and a few others all waiting to maiden this year, dang crappy weather, but I've learned that it's better not to rush things.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78023.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	884016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88097.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	884017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87959.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	884018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13802.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	884019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54565.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	884020  
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM
GrrlsFly!

Is that a GLITTER plane?
lol, that's awesome. Looks great. [8D]
Old 02-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Fresnojay76

Nice planes Glacier. Glad to see more and more women around in the hobby.

Jason

P.S. Adding weight can hurt and help. Try not to add any if you can, mostly try moving the battery around forwards and back. Plane made foamies can be tricky to setup properly as 2 identical planes will fly totally differently and setup differently as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Glacier Girl

It's Chrome!!!

And for the last time I'm not a girl, dang it. GG is an airplane. www.thelostsquadron.com
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
GrrlsFly!

LOL. Sorry, it just looks glittery in the pick. Get's my wheels turning. [sm=idea.gif] The chrome looks cool too.

I'm guilty of thinking you were a girl as well. Oops![X(]
Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Fresnojay76

Sorry Glacier. The name is what got me my bad.

Jason
Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glacier Girl is not a girl?

Ahh, listen, about that PM about a date .....