Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

HobbyZone Super Cub battery questions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

HobbyZone Super Cub battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Blazer1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyZone Super Cub battery questions

I understand that you can expect to get 15-18 minute flight times out of the Super Cub on the stock battery. How long between flights for the battery to cool down and recharge until you are ready to fly again? Should I purchase an additional battery, if so can you recommend a good one. I plan on purchasing this at my local Hobby Towne USA, will they have a battery that works or will this have to be ordered?
Thanks!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HobbyZone Super Cub battery questions

Go with the 9.6 volt 1000mAH part number is PKZ 1023 And it is NI-MH I have two of these and one stock one and I just run one after the other and let the plane cool down for a little bit. But since you are not running the lipos you will be fine. The battery cost $26 bucks at my hobby town that I go to.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

we just flew my supercub like crazy for the past two days. realize that you can keep it up there for quite a while on one third throttle. but as you gain experience and start doing aerobatics, etc, and run more thorttle you flight times will come down quite a bit. the key is to buy as many batts as your wallet will allow. they take a while to charge, even with the car charger......and you have to let them cool, as you know. tough to do this while out flying. it's best to charge up all of your batts and then head to the flying field. you only may get to charge one after it cools while you are flying the others. most of use the stock batts in the supercub, they work great. check out hobbyzone.com. they ship the model, for free, and include an extra battery. a great deal. have fun with your new plane........rob
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
eagle727

ROB737.I did just that.Ordered my Super Cub from the factory.And got a free battery,for the same price.I bench tested the flight controls,motor,and X-mitter.Functional test good.I have flown a HZ Firebird Phantom,with some success.I'm waiting for good weather and will try the Super Cub.Should I hand launch on it's first flight,and should I always leave ACT off?Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Swift427

Should I hand launch on it's first flight,and should I always leave ACT off?Thanks.
Yes, Yes(try it both ways and let us know the results)

The motor in the SuperCub is capable of handling up to 12 volts with gear reduction. At 12v with a 4:1 gear ratio and a 11x7 prop the motor draws 8amps / 103 watts while providing approx. 20oz of thrust with a fully charged 3 cell LiPo. You may want to consider LiPo power if you already have a special LiPo charger with built-in balancer.

This LiPo is a very good fit for the SuperCub-- [link]http://www.commonsenserc.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_35&products_id=56[/link]. It is a 1250mAh 8C Lipo that is smaller and more than 2oz lighter than the 9.6v NiMH, and costs only $18. It is rated at a maximum continuous discharge of 10 amps with 15 amp bursts. The SuperCub's 10x8 prop with gear reduction won't draw more than 10 amps at full throttle with a fully charged LiPo. And if you continue with a conservative-to-moderate flying pattern you will increase your flying time. Also, this LiPo is 1.64oz lighter than the 8.4v stock NiMH. Two Lipos for $36 is about as good a deal as you can hope to find anywhere.

The following reply was taken from another thread--

"I am running a 2250mah 3s lipo in my SC . All you have to do is pull the jumper in the top of the esc. Its a small black thing that is by the servo connection(it sets the lipo cut off for the esc. I added a switch to mine on the side of the plane so I can flip the switch to use nimh or lipo). I also had to cutout some of the back of the battery tray to get them to fit. It now has all the power it needs and it flys great. Huge loops from level flight are now easly performed. In a 8 to 10mph wind I got the plane to hover for 1 1/2 mins about 100ft of the ground. I never would of thought I would see a super cub hanging by the prop . I also put dean connectors on it.(its needed)"

Do you really need a 12C-15C 2250mAh Lipo in a SuperCub? I think it's an example of overkill. Just to be on the safe side don't fly too aggressively or you could overheat the motor and shorten its life. Aggressive LiPo flying will be harder on the brushed motor than the $18 3-cell 1250mAh 8C Lipo.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM
rob737

hello, eagle727. congrats on your purchase! i bet you are going to love the supecub. my brother just ordered his last night, too, after flying mine all weekend. definately turn the act feature off! there is tons of info on the forum about this model, most will advise to turn off this technology (just unplug it from your rx.esc). i actually saw it work a couple of times when i was just starting out.....but it is really more trouble than it's worth.

r.o.g. take offs are easy with the supercub. do you have a reasonably smooth surface, like a parking lot or baseball diamond, or even short grass? try standing right behind it.....and take off strait ahead.......you'll easially keep your orientation this way. start the roll with a fair ammount of back stick......the model will rise off the ground quickly. hand launches are also a breeze with this model.....it flies out of your hand with just a gentle shove. so, enjoy geting it airborne any way that you like!

have fun, let everybody know how you are doing with it once you get it out..........rob
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
eagle727

<rob737>.Sounds like it will be a blast.Thank you.Would it be a good idea to reinforce the fuselage,wing stabs ect...with packing tape.Or to do any other types of reinforcing or modifications,if so,where? I'm in western Washington so it could be weeks before we get a none rainy/windy day.But will let you all know the S/C flew.Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM
rob737

bummer about the flying weather out there. it's been really windy here.......frustrating, especially when you have a new model to try! i believe the supercub is just great right out of the box. she'll take a few knocks and dings, trust me on that one! i don't think it requires any mods.....i never did any to mine. if you like, dig through the supercub threads. there are plenty of folks with far more experience than i have who might have tinkered with these models a bit. oh yeah, my brother ordered a float kit with his! can't wait til he gets his cub up and running.

ps.......once you get it out and flying, you will most likely find use for that packing tape! and for some epoxy, too. it's easy to repair this model, and the parts are not too expensive and easy to get.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
eagle727

I saw a video on you-tube the super cub with floats took off/landed perfectly on a calm lake.It was assume.I saw a perfect grass feild to try a take from the ground on.I think thats what I'll try.