Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

How to connect Motor and ESC

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

How to connect Motor and ESC

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM
SebM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to connect Motor and ESC

I got my first electric plane which is a GP Seawind EP. I have a motor and ESC from Light Flight. The motor is the Suppo 2212-13 with the 20 amp. ESC.

On the motor I have three cable, Red-Yellow-Black that connect to the same colored cable include with the airplane. At the end of theses cables I have to connect my ESC. On one side of the ESC I have the flat connector that goes into my Rx, one black and one red for the batterie. On the other side of the ESC I have three Black cable, which one do I connect to the Red-Yellow-Black of the motor cables if they are all black ? The only way I can assume is that if one side is the red, then the black cable that are inline with it on the other side might go to the red cable of the motor but I really don't like when there is no instruction at all regarding this.

Thanks,
Séb
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM
teamgs

Default RE: How to connect Motor and ESC

Hi Seb,
With brushless motors like your suppo, it doesn't matter which way you connect the wires from the motor to the ESC. All you have to do is make sure the prop is turning the correct way. If not, simply swap two wires.

Here is a link to a build log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56#post7680156

Regards,

Gary
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

First connect all three wires from the ESC to the three motor wires, mount the prop on the motor securely (don't install the nacelle yet), connect the ESC to your receiver, secure the airplane so it cannot move, and ensure the throttle on the transmitter is in the normal off position. Now be prepared for a couple of things to happen: 1) when you turn on your transmitter, the throttle position might be reversed and the motor will go to full speed immediately. In that case, unplug the battery to the receiver immediately and move the throttle channel switch on the transmitter to the opposite position. 2) After you know that the throttle on the transmitter operates normally (back = off; forward = full), turn on your transmitter (I know - some say that the battery to the receiver can be connected without turning on the transmitter, but electronics do fail) with the throttle in the off position, connect the battery to the ESC and slowly advance the throttle and see which way the prop rotates. If it is rotating in the correct direction - fine; if it is not, pull the throttle back to off, disconnect the battery, and reverse only two of the wires (it doesn't matter which two) that connect the motor to the ESC. Reconnect the battery and see that the prop is turning in the correct direction. After that is done, bring the throttle to off, and check the other channels for movement in the correct direction. If they don't move in the correct direction, move the associated switch on the transmitter to the other position. After that final check, disconnect the battery, turn off the transmitter, remove the prop, mount the nacelle, mount the prop securely, and recheck everything for proper operation. Charge your batteries and go fly.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
SebM

So it's always a hit and miss thing ? I am surprise to read this but thanks a lot for the information, I will do this tonight.

Séb
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: SebM
So it's always a hit and miss thing ?
Yes. You have a 50-50 chance of getting it right the first time. Some programmable ESCs let you reverse the motor direction by programming the ESC. Castle Creations Phoenix ESCs offer this capability.

- Jeff