Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slow, Easy, Indestructable

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow, Easy, Indestructable

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
nikg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow, Easy, Indestructable

OK, I just got my HZ Super Cub shipped to me and it looks pretty nice. The only problem is I think it is way too big to fly near my house. It is the first plane in the family and I wanted to share flying it with my son, but he is only 4 yrs old and I'm not sure he would be able to fly it much. If we go to a big open field he might be able to take over a little (once I learn how to fly it!), but this thing appears to need a large space and I don't think he could fathom the distances right now.

I am looking for a plane for him and maybe for me to train on. I had heard good things about the mini xpv, but I watched a video or two on them and they seem a little jittery. Maybe this is just how they appear. They are very tempting for $30 or so.

What would be the very easiest plane of all to fly? I would prefer soemthing relatively slow and indestructable as possible. Low price would be great, too. Doesn't need to be true hobby grade as long as it flies ok. I know this is a tall order because a light and easy plane is likely fragile, but I'll take any advice I can get.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
nikg

Default RE: Slow, Easy, Indestructable

How are the Airhogs products?

I am looking at a biplane-type Aero Ace and something called a defender. Anybody ever flown any of these?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Leo L

For you, the SuperCub is the perfect plane to learn on. It is the easiest of all "real" R/C planes to fly. Remember the three basic rules: NO WIND; plenty of altitude to have time to correct mistakes (you must fly at least TWICE the height of the nearest obstacles like trees); stay far away from trees. For flying the SuperCub, you need an area at least 500'x500'.

The AirHogs AeroAce is a great little 2-channel plane for you to get your son started on. With the 2-channel planes, and particularly the small light ones like the AeroAce, there must be absolutely NO WIND. They are actually perfect for a large indoor area like a gym or barn. Altitude with a 2-channel plane is entirely controlled by throttle. If you give too much throttle, the plane will "porpoise". It tries to climb, stalls, starts to fall, regains flight as it picks up speed, starts to climb, stalls, and so on. To reduce its tendency to porpoise, add a little weight to the nose.
you can tape a dime to it or insert a screw, but be careful not to damage the battery. Also, learn to back off on the throttle, flying the plane at part throttle is best. The AeroAce, which comes in several body styles, is the only plane sold in the toy stores and department stores that is worth buying.

As you and your son get better, you should check out the micro flyers from ParkZone. They are not for beginners, but once you know the basics, they will fly much better for you and your son than the AeroAce. They also cost a lot more, and are not virtually indestructable, the way that the AeroAce is. When the AeroAce first came out a few years back, it became immensely popular. We used to do stupid things with it like bouncing it off the backboard and trying to get it into the basketball hoop; bouncing it off the walls and trying to get it flying again before it hits the ground; combat, but not by trying to hit the other plane but by trying to hit the other flyer; trying to land it on your own head, etc.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
nikg

I saw a zillion different Aero Aces, so which one do I get? I think the biplane appears to be the best choice as it is the slowest. If none of them can be flown in the wind, then I might as well get the easiest one to fly.

Also, I saw many variations even in the biplanes. The green and yellow one said dragonfly or something like that and the others were blue or red or yellow and had different numbers. Does the color matter? Are there variations within the Aero Ace biplanes and does it matter?

Toys R us website has them on sale right now, but there is no picture with them. Description says it comes as a biplane or jet. That is a big difference to me as I have been reading the jet is fast and does not turn as easily. Can anybody tell me if the TRU deal is for the biiplane I am looking for?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Leo L

The AeroAces come in different colors to signify different channels. They use three channels that they call "A", "B" and "C". They originally had six different color schemes, two for each channel. Althought the bi-plane and jet look dramatically different, their flight characteristics are very similar. The jet is a little faster, so its turns are not quite as tight, but it can handle light winds while the bi-plane cannot. If the majority of your flying will be indoors, get the bi-plane. If the majority of your flying will be outdoors, get the jet. Some people have modified the bi-plane by removing one of the two wings, which makes it fly very much like the jet.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:05 AM
phillipmorris

I enjoyed several of the Aero Aces, its simply an amazing fun flyer, the Bi-plane version is perhaps tops on the list for short turning and nice response, flys over 7 to 10 minutes and a treat to fly, you can fly it in the backyard with little to no winds, keep it low altitude to avoid roofs and trees...it is using all power instead of controls surfaces but will help on the orientation issues when the plane comes towards you and things are reversed, have fun....

The Super Cub is the over all excellent choice but yes will need some room to fly, I have an open school yard free of trees..my favored trainer indeed is the Super Cub, tuff and a wonderful flyer, tape fixes with ease....

The micro flyer todate am currently enjoying in the Parkzone is the increadible Vapor, this puppie noses up for very slow flying, with no winds can circle it very close, it nearly stops inflight in the harrier postition...are more pricey but rewarded with amazing flyers in these mircro bird series, have full surface control rudder, elevator, and throttle, are very light weight and take loads of impact with no damages, other than the cost, a top choice...<>..

Super Cub, Night Flights
Strykers B, C
Parkzone Warbird, Spitz
Multiplex Easy Star Glider, 30 minutes of fun
Parkzones, Cessna, Ember, Vapor, fantastic indoor and no winds flyers
Utra Mini Stick, 4 channel
in the hopper, E-flites Apprentice and Ascent 450 PNP Plug N Play
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Toxic_G

If there is a Source by Circut City Store nearby there are soem 2ch dual prop driven jets that are made the same way as the aero aces but they fly differently and they can handle smaller winds but more than the airhogs jets. They also can do hammerheads, knife edge and loops when you are ready. The best looking and most indestructable is the Iron Man F-18 jet. Mine has crashed many times and has been lost for a couple days in winter and still flies to this day! I lost the landing gear but still hand launches very well. $30-40 very good. My sister is training on mine, she is getting a lot better. And when you master the 2ch it is easier to control the bigger ones. A good "real" plane would be the MiniMag from Multiplex. Very stable and is a touchy on controls but once you know that, it is a great parkflyer to fly. I like it because the gliding on it is very good even though it is a cessna type. $200 but pretty solid for crashes i got about 4 crashes and only the prop falls off. No problem just some CA and its flying again!