Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

ESC Choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
glenndening

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Choice

Can anyone please tell me the difference between cheap ESC's and the dear ones. for an OPTO 100A they range from about £10 to over £100. I know the more expensive will probably be more reliable, but is there really much difference ?
Thanks for your help,
Glenn
Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
jdetray

Default RE: ESC Choice

If better reliability isn't enough for you, also consider that ESCs from top companies such as Castle Creations and Jeti may offer a warranty and repair service. For example, Castle will repair any of their ESCs for a flat fee. Getting a no-name ESC repaired may not be possible at any price.

The well known companies may be somewhat more conservative in their specifications. Would you want to operate a no-name ESC close to its specified limits? I would not.

Also, the top brands may offer more features and programmable options that can be important in some applications.

On the other hand, if you operate a no-name ESC conservatively, do not expect to need factory service and support, and do not need lots of features, they are worth considering. If possible, purchase no-name products from a dealer you know and trust to stand behind what he sells.

That is my 2 cents (or 2 pence) worth of advice.

- Jeff
Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 AM
glenndening

Thanks Jeff,
I have been using a 100A opto, no brand name, for six months, bought from Giantcod.co.uk. It has been pulling around 70A with no problem.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 AM
whitecrest

ORIGINAL: glenndening

...I have been using a 100A opto, no brand name, for six months, bought from Giantcod.co.uk. It has been pulling around 70A with no problem.
You are operating with a nice 30-amp cushion. For much of a typical flight, it's probably more than that. I would be surprised if that controller did not last a long time if you continue in the same fashion.

I have had no failures with very inexpensive controllers. I substantially overrate the controller capacity for my intended application. This is easy to do without incurring a significant weight penalty.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
johnpcunningham

I am an electrical engineer and I can tell you that I will NEVER EVER pay for top brand again. I've run Castle Creations 80 amp and hextronic 80 amp (unitedhobbies.com) and they both perform the same. The hextronic is $55 where teh CA is well over $120. Go to something like a standard 30 or 40 amp and the cost is even less. They are very well built.

Same goes for their Rhino lipos. $22 for a 3S-25C 11.1v 2150 MHa battery vs a Thunderpower equivalent 25C battery at $79. Even the motors from the above website are excellent (over Axi).

It is often said you get what you pay for, but I have found excellent prices for high quality motoros, ESCs and batteries.