Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help setting up DX6i

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help setting up DX6i

Well I'm not really new to flying, but I am new to actually setting planes up.

After two months of screwing with Horizon, I finally have a halfway decent Typhoon 2 3d. I put the thing together this evening, hooked up my receiver, and expect to be able to start programming my profile.

I assume the first thing I'm supposed to do is bind it, like it mentions in the the manual. I inserted the binding plug into the respective slot on the receiver, and held the trainer switch like it said while turning on the radio, and nothing happened. The radio was trying to bind but the receiver light was on steady as if it had already been bound. I messed with it for a bit but couldn't get the plane to respond to my radio at all.

Planning to just consult the manual to program in my dual rates and such, but if anyone has and suggestions/advice on that either I would appreciate it. Anything at all to help me get this thing up in the air.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 AM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help setting up DX6i

I seem to have some issues with my DX6i "unbinding" between trips. Yesterday, I followed all of the same actions that you did...but... when NOTHING happened...I switched the TX off and then back on; I switched the battery switch off and then on. After a number of such actions.....while holding down the binding switch.....the steady light came on and she was bound and everything then worked.

The only thing that I can think of in your case ( assuming it IS now bound) is it possible that you have the plugs into the receiver in backwards? Easy to do. The dark brown/black lead should be on the "outside" edge of the receiver. Also, did you remove the binding plug? Hope that helps.. Rich
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
TakeshiSkunk

OK, my problem was that the plugs were in backwards...kind of makes me feel stupid >_>

Anyway, I have another problem now. My dual aileron servos aren't really working at all. At first they wouldn't work at all, then I enable dual ailerons in the profile and now only the right aileron works, and it's reversed x.x
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM
richg99

Just going on memory... go to FLAPS and set it from INHIBIT to ACTIVATE. Its been a while, but that is as best I can remember. Then, you can simply REVERSE the ailerons and the FLAP using the Reverse section. Rich
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Well after messing around with it some more and trying pretty much everything I could think of, I'm pretty sure I have a dead servo. I tried swapping the plugs on my receiver to see if I could get only the left aileron to move, but no matter how I set it up only the right would move.

If this really is the case this is goddamn ridiculous. Horizon has to be the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to do business with. The first Typhoon I received looked like it had been crashed before it was stuffed into the box, parts were missing or damaged, it was dirty, and the entire fuselage was curved to one side. I go through the trouble to get them to send me a new kit (which involved practically fighting with them for a week before they finally sent me a prepaid shipping label) and now I have a dead servo out of the box. Half expecting the ESC to blow out on my first flight if I ever even manage to get this thing off of the ground. I am never doing business with Horizon again. I only hope that this isn't what I'm supposed to expect from companies in the RC field.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
richg99

Strange, for me..Horizon was simply wonderful. I had a problem with my original DX6 and they fixed it ASAP and even fixed a couple of things that I broke on my own. Hmmmm sorry for your bad luck Rich
Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
TakeshiSkunk

OK stuff finally seems to be alright. Horizon sent me a replacement servo and it's in and working as it should. I just want to get this plane off the ground.

I have a couple more questions though, I've been having some trouble setting the throws on my control surfaces, and my dual rates. The ailerons seem to be moving proportionately to one another, but my left aileron travels further than my right. Like they're even up until the right stops moving and then the left travels slightly further.

Also, when I was adjusting the throws for my dual rate settings, it was acting like I had differential dialed into my throws, even though I definitely had all different turned off.

I'd also appreciate it if anyone who had some experience with the Typhoon 2 3D could give me some suggested settings to try. This is my first 3D model, but I've flown quite a bit of 3D in RealFlight G4.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:38 PM
richg99

I am an newbie at all of this...but..when I had similar problems, one of my club members pointed out that I didn't have the servo's arms exactly equal. One was "forward" a bit and that servo had a different ratio of throw.

Another possible cause is if different holes were used (control arm or control horn) on either end.

The last thought would be whether or not the control horns were equally positioned directly over the hinge line(s). Hope something here helps. Smarter and more experienced people will probably pipe in with the real correct answer. Rich
Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I'm pretty sure it's due to the control horn being a little bit off, but the adjustment system on the typhoon isn't exactly precise. I thought there might be a way to correct it with the radio alone.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
richg99

The answer may be in this site...but I don't know enough to tell you where. Many of the things that you can do with a DX7 you can do with a DX6i Rich

http://rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: TakeshiSkunk

I'm pretty sure it's due to the control horn being a little bit off, but the adjustment system on the typhoon isn't exactly precise. I thought there might be a way to correct it with the radio alone.
If the servos are plugged into seperate channels you should be able to adjust the end point of each individually. You could try increasing the one which is coming up short, or simply reduce the one that is going further.

For example, if one servo is plugged into the aileron channel, and one is plugged into the aux channel, you would simply adjust the end point/travel of the respective channel of the servo you want to move less/more.