Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Stability of foam plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Stability of foam plane.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
brian76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability of foam plane.

I am long retired and used to fly gas models only up to intermediate level. I recently watched electric flight, bought a Wing Dragon and enjoy it. I then built a foam ChargerRc 260, intending to fly it very gently until I developed some experience. So for my first flight I put elevator and rudder on the right stick and ailerons on the left. This was obviously a big mistake because on take off the plane veered off to the right, didn't really respond to left rudder and crashed into a tree before I could react quickly enough to use the ailerons. I don't really belong to a club, there are just a few of us who fly over a soccer pitch. A more experienced guy told me that a flat foam plane with no dihedral cannot be controlled with rudder only because it has no inherent stability. A couple of other flyers didn't really agree. I would really appreciate some feedback. I think I may have tried to exceed my present skills !! Many thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM
BigTb17

Default RE: Stability of foam plane.

As you've found, some planes react very differently to rudder input than others. Your 260 can't be controlled with rudder and elavator alone. You will need to use the ailerons. However, you can use ailerons and elevator alone much the way you may be used to rudder/elevator control.

I think you will be able to handle the plane if you simply put the aileron on the right stick and the rudder on with the throttle. Using ailerons and elevator isn't drastically different than using rudder and elevator to control a plane. The main difference is that with your plane there will be no self righting characteristics and you will have to level the plane out yourself after a turn (or after a gust of wind tips it, etc.). Also, it will likely respond quicker to inputs.

Don't get discouraged. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Witterings

Maybe get yourself a Simulator as well if you're rusty as it'll help to bring it bcak to you.

The Wing Dragon, was it teh 3 or 4 channel version ???
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 PM
jdetray

To turn well with rudder and elevator only, a plane needs dihedral.

In the USA, the most common transmitter setup is known as Mode II. Mode II always puts the primary turning and pitch controls on the right stick. With Mode II, the primary turning control, whether it is ailerons or rudder, is always on Channel 1.

For a 4-channel plane, Mode II has the controls arranged as follows.
Right stick: ailerons (ch. 1) and elevator (ch. 2)
Left stick: throttle (ch. 3) and rudder (ch. 4)

For a 3-channel plane with rudder but no ailerons, Mode II has the controls arranged as follows.
Right stick: rudder (ch. 1) and elevator (ch. 2)
Left stick: throttle (ch. 3)

OR if the plane has ailerons but no rudder:

Right stick: ailerons (ch. 1) and elevator (ch. 2)
Left stick: throttle (ch. 3)

- Jeff
Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 AM
brian76

Flying a Charger 260.
iMany thanks for your advice on how best to fly the rc260. I have glued the pieces together, swapped the rudder and aileron controls, and as soon as the weather improves I will be down at the field !! I have flown aileron equipped planes before but none without inherent stability in the form of dihedral and I can see now that this makes a world of difference.
Thanks again.
Brian76.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
brian76

Jeff,
Re. stability of foam rc260. Many thanks for sorting out the various modes and hook ups with and without dihedral. This info. was very useful. The plane is repaired and as soon as the weather improves I will be (safely!) in the air again.
Brian76.