Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Challenge - Building a plane out of Aerobird Guts

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Challenge - Building a plane out of Aerobird Guts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:55 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Challenge - Building a plane out of Aerobird Guts

OK guys, here is a challenge!

I keep hearing that you can't use the guts from an Aerobird for any other plane. I don't think that is true. It is just that the people who say this have so little imagination.

Now, I am not builder, so I am the wrong guy to try this, but there are lots of smart people out there. And some of you have Aerobirds. Let's see if you can design and build a plane using the control board from an Aerobird.

For those who don't know the configuration, I will post a photo here.

Since V-tail mixing is built in and the board is fairly flat, this might go well in a delta wing where you use elevons for control. Maybe something they make from that blue or pink building foam. Or perhaps something like a Zagi Fixx type design.

If I ever wreck the Aerobird to the point where I can't fix it and the electronics are still good, I might try that.

How about all you smart building types. Could be big money in a plane that can use the guts out of an Aerobird. Heaven knows they are selling enough of them. You could even buy a fuselage for $42, take out the speed 380 motor and the electronics package and throw the body away if you can't find a damaged one to salvage. Still pretty cheap for a motor, ESC, two servos and a mixer. Fairly light too.

Let's see who can build one first. Not me, I am no builder. I haven't even started my first ARF, an Electrajet. No time.

Let's design it right here. Who has a dead aerobird with a working electronics who will donate it to this design project?

The challenge is placed. Who has some ideas????

Who, knows, we could produce a whole new plane this way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91137_24849.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	52624  
Old 07-03-2003, 12:57 PM
aeajr

Default Servos up

Oh, and when I suggested the value of the board, I forgot that hte receiver is also integrated into the board. If you have a 27 mhz radio, you are all set. If not, the Aerobird radio is $25.

Here is the board, servos up.

Here is your whole motor and electronics package shown in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91139_24849.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	52625  
Old 07-05-2003, 12:12 AM
kingcobraRCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yep

surely it can be done....I sold my aerobird or I would do it...I moved on to nitro planes...
Old 07-05-2003, 01:00 AM
sierra gold

I'm sure it can be done by a scratch builder. Especially someone with "indoor plane" experience.

This "challenge" stems from a thread where I said that the guts from an Aerobird are "hardly re-usable" when the original poster stated he wanted an ARF plane to replace his destroyed Aerobird and wanted to try use his Aerobird electronics in the new plane.

A pizzza box type plane would probably work... but is it worth the effort? Maybe.

Sierra Gold
Old 07-12-2003, 11:21 AM
eflyer2

I have a friend who is quite good at frankinstean type model projects and ever since his dog caught his FB-XL on landing has been trying to build a flyable plane using the electronicics from Firebird series planes,
Although he's had some moments that point to progress most tries are in vain mostly due to the delicate nature of the circut board and servo, the motors are pretty tough, so if you crave driving yourself nuts over using a cheap, fragile set of throw-away components, have at it, I on the other hand chose to spend a few bucks on a GWS flite pack and spend my time building Fanfold Bluecor planes or playing with a Moth or $34.00 SlowStick, maybe even a Mountain Models Dusk Stik for the small price of $40.00.

I know I am going to anger somebody out there, Thats not my intent, but for you beginners out there don't waste your time and money on junk because you will only end up with a piece of costly junk.

BTW- I own a FB-2 and a FB-XL and they helped me to get into R/C flying, they are great little planes for building confidence in the air while getting some stick time, but once you ware one out or crash it beyond repair, chuck it in the trash and move on.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:20 PM
aeajr

I can see how trying to build something out of a 2 channel firebird radio system might be challenging. However the three channel Aerobird is certainly a lot more flexible.

And why not take on the challenge of building something out of left-overs. People do it all the time. The fun is in the challenge.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:42 PM
eflyer2

AEAJR,

There is not much difference between the electronics in a FB-XL and the Aerobird, and it works well for it's intended purpose, but when the shell is gone let the guts rest in pieces, unless you need to waste your time, in that case, have at it.

BTW- I responded to another post much like this one, the plane in question appears to have been repaired to the point that it did not fly right anymore but the owner just didn't want to give up it's goast, so I suggested he use a couple of soda bottles to fashion pontoons to the fuse and tie the control lines to a makeshift rudder and use it as a power boat, that 380 pusher prop will really move it through the water.

Don't ever forget, toys are for having FUN, not for getting angry over.

Have fun,
Old 07-12-2003, 06:53 PM
eflyer2

AEAJR,

Use the Idea as a gift from me to you and have fun with it.

I just love making new friends over the keyboard,

Eflyer
Old 07-13-2003, 04:21 AM
aeajr

Fun and toys. My kind of world.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

One minor point, the Firebird XL is a two channel plane. T/R. The aerobird is a three channel plane T/R/E. No big deal, just a point of info.

Anyway, having fun with planes is great. My Aerobird flies great even after some pretty bad crashes.

An Electrajet is about to go on the building table.

My Spirit 2 Meter Glider got some preliminary hand throws to test the balance. Hopefully next weekend I will get my Hi-Start and put the Spirit up in the sky. And I may be able to get my first flights on the Electrajet as well.

And we can all dream about more toys! Ain't life grand! :-)
Old 08-10-2003, 10:05 PM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

Can I use those for my Fighterbird, or is it different? Because I fried my electrics after landing in a ditch. Also, how do you adjust the amount of steering I get? Not trim, how do I make it turn tighter?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:35 AM
aeajr

To get a Firebird XL to turn tighter there a a few things you can do.

1) review your manual and see that you have your control lines set to the most response hole on the control horn

2) Make a wider control surface. Make a cut equal to the depth of your current rudder surface about 1/2" further up the tail. Now tape that to the current rudder surface. Now careful crease the tail so that ten new added area can fold and move with the original rudder. This will give you more rudder surface which will make the tail move faster.

3) You can try picking up the Aerobird X-Pack which includes the Aerobird X-Tail which has expanded control surfaces. I think it will fit in the Firebird XL. You will also get a 7 cell battery which you can use in teh Firebird XL making it more powerful.

Let me know if that works for you.