Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Need advice not really crashed yet!

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Need advice not really crashed yet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice not really crashed yet!

I have recently acquired a Beech 18 / C45 twin motor plane I have a boat load of pics at http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/gofer303/ I have 2- O.S. MAX 15 FP (rn) New in the Box never mounted or ran yet glow motors. this plane was made in the late 40's early 50's by Eureka Hobby's and has for plans a set of real Blue Prints (Blue Color) ! What my question is has anyone done this before and what would be involved in making it a full RC plane? My experience in building is just about a 2 on a 1 to 10 scale and am just a tad nervous about the project. I am thinking that the whole project will take a lot of time and advice from everyone if I decided to do this!
Any input would be appreciated.
Larry
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need advice not really crashed yet!

Is there room for a small(4.oz) fuel tank and a mini servo
in the nacelles? It looks like there might be, but it's
hard to tell from the pics. It's looks like you might have to
grind out some of the bulkheads and motor mount
support to fit a fuel tank. It looks doable.

~Jon~
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, if this plane is as old as you say, was it
really electric?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the delay in answering seems time flies faster than I am able to count !!! The plane in the original box has the actual blue colored blue prints and that has not been done for a lot of years. There is a pair of possibly 1.5 oz gas tanks that are made to fit the engine mounts so that leads me to believe that it was originally a glow motor set on it. The plane as far as I can tell is late 40's to mid 50's manufacture as I can find no mention of the eureka hobby anywhere. The box has a actual photo of the completed model in black and white taped to the front as the draw for the plane. If you go to the address at photo bucket I posted a lot of pics and it does not look like it was set up for RC but set up for control line. The engine cowls are both very thin aluminum that is polished. If you look closely at the inside pics of the wing and fuse there is 2 decals with the hobby shop logo. I think that it would be best to convert it to electric as that would allow the cowl's to not be cut up to fit the motors and exhaust systems. I thought I had it sold but have not heard back in a while from the individual and have been looking at it hanging and thinking more and more on how to mod this beauty to fly great on electrics! I really have not planed on doing much to it this winter as i am going to be building a Mud Duck Sport to tow banners with at racing events where I work on Fridays as the announcer. I might be tempted to trade it for a gas 20 or 30cc motor but that remains to be seen.
Larry